Problem with repository - 64 bit related? [Solved]

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Galen10

Problem with repository - 64 bit related? [Solved]

Post by Galen10 »

I have Mint 9 32bit running on two computers, one within a Virtualbox VM. With :-

deb http://downloads.sourceforge.net/projec ... ozilla/apt all main

in my sources.list on both machines I can install Mozilla Releases of Firefox just fine - so the following problem isn't directly related to the VM. I have now installed Mint 10RC *64 bit* in another VM, and added the same line to sources.list, but when I run Mintupdate I get an error:-

"Failed to fetch http://downloads.sourceforge.net/projec ... ll/Release Unable to find expected entry main/binary-amd64/Packages in Meta-index file (malformed Release file?)
Some index files failed to download, they have been ignored, or old ones used instead."

As the error message has "AMD64" in it, I'm guessing that this means that Mint 10 is calling for 64 bit packages (from the same sources.list line) and not finding them? Is this correct, or is there something else I'm, missing?

Regards,

Bob
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
JasonLG

Re: Problem with repository - 64 bit related?

Post by JasonLG »

Galen10 wrote:I have Mint 9 32bit running on two computers, one within a Virtualbox VM. With :-

deb http://downloads.sourceforge.net/projec ... ozilla/apt all main

in my sources.list on both machines I can install Mozilla Releases of Firefox just fine - so the following problem isn't directly related to the VM. I have now installed Mint 10RC *64 bit* in another VM, and added the same line to sources.list, but when I run Mintupdate I get an error:-

"Failed to fetch http://downloads.sourceforge.net/projec ... ll/Release Unable to find expected entry main/binary-amd64/Packages in Meta-index file (malformed Release file?)
Some index files failed to download, they have been ignored, or old ones used instead."

As the error message has "AMD64" in it, I'm guessing that this means that Mint 10 is calling for 64 bit packages (from the same sources.list line) and not finding them? Is this correct, or is there something else I'm, missing?

Regards,

Bob
You're not missing anything looking at the repo there isn't any x64 packages.
vrkalak

Post by vrkalak »

Mint-10 RC is only in 32-bit, at the moment. The x86_64 bit for Mint-10 is forthcoming, but probably not until Mint-10 is finalized and released.
JasonLG

Post by JasonLG »

vrkalak wrote:Mint-10 RC is only in 32-bit, at the moment. The x86_64 bit for Mint-10 is forthcoming, but probably not until Mint-10 is finalized and released.
No it's not, you can download the 64 bit version just the same as the 32 bit version http://www.linuxmint.com/release.php?id=15 I think you have Mint 10 confused with LMDE which is in fact only available in a 32bit version at the moment.
magump

Post by magump »

Regarding the failed to fetch message, this is what I have done:
Open the Network Connection dialogue box.
Highlight the auto eth0 line and click on Edit
Next, click on the IPv4 settings tab
For Method, choose Automatic (DHCD) address only
DNS servers should be 8.8.8.8
Click on apply. You may lose your network connection but not to worry. You may have to reboot your computer and you should be up and running. Hope this works.
Gramps50

Post by Gramps50 »

magump wrote:Regarding the failed to fetch message, this is what I have done:
Open the Network Connection dialogue box.
Highlight the auto eth0 line and click on Edit
Next, click on the IPv4 settings tab
For Method, choose Automatic (DHCD) address only
DNS servers should be 8.8.8.8
Click on apply. You may lose your network connection but not to worry. You may have to reboot your computer and you should be up and running. Hope this works.
Don't think I would do this, looks like it could break your DNS & it will NOT fix the problem

From Ubuntuzilla project http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/ubuntuzilla
64bit users

Until such a time as Mozilla decides to release 64bit builds, this repository will only host 32bit packages.

In the meantime, the best alternative for Firefox is the firefox-stable ppa. The best alternative for Thunderbird and Seamonkey is probably using the latest trunk builds from the Ubuntu Mozilla Daily PPA, which includes 64 bit builds.

Alternatively, you could use the old Ubuntuzilla Installer Script, which would still install the 32bit release binaries from Mozilla, but also add a bunch of 32bit compatibility libraries to enable you to run it. It is a messier solution, and requires some manual fiddling with plugins, but if you really want the extra stability that comes from using releases rather than daily builds, it's there for you.
Galen10

Post by Galen10 »

JasonLG wrote:
I realise that- I expected it to default to sending the 32bit version. I just want the latest stable 32bit release, but it appears that as I'm using 64bit Mint it will assume I don't want that. Thanks for the confirmation, anyway.
JasonLG

Post by JasonLG »

Galen10 wrote:
JasonLG wrote:
I realise that- I expected it to default to sending the 32bit version. I just want the latest stable 32bit release, but it appears that as I'm using 64bit Mint it will assume I don't want that. Thanks for the confirmation, anyway.
No, if you're using a 64bit version then it will only show the 64bit packages(in your case there aren't any) with the exception of maybe the flash installer package.

If you want a 64bit version of Firefox follow the instructions in the link provided by Gramps50. Read posts.
Galen10

Re: Problem with repository - 64 bit related? [Solved]

Post by Galen10 »

I always stick to full release versions. In the case of Thunderbird, the new release versions are already flaky, so the nightlies are not on at all. The only reason I want the updates is to see if they've fixed any of the problems yet. Thanks for the help anyway,

Regards,

Bob

Return to “Beginner Questions”