Just saying Hi and asking some really daft questions!

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Hexeta
Level 4
Level 4

Just saying Hi and asking some really daft questions!

Post by Hexeta »

Curiosity, they say, killed the cat....it also brought me here...and I'm nervous! :wink:
As a child, I often got in trouble for taking my toys to pieces...and inevitably breaking them!
This was not done with any evil intent, just the burning question in my head...How does it do that?
Nothing's really changed, except that now I break more expensive toys!! :lol:

My first question has to be: How does one pronounce the word "Linux"
I'm confused 'cos I've heard members of the computer press (presumably more knowledgeable than I) pronounce it, "Lin" (as in tin), whilst I have always assumed the name was derived from Linus Torvalds first name and should therefore rhyme with wine? :?

My second question, slightly more complex and despite the red banner's instruction, I can't find an appropriate place to ask it, so here goes.

I've got a 1999 vintage "Thinkpad 600E" running a PentiumII 366 MHz processor, a massive 3.2GB HDD and 288MB RAM (System max)
Currently running (no, staggering would be more descriptive) XP Pro SP3, and constantly complaining about the lack of space! :lol:
I would like to continue using it 'cos it's built like the proverbial brick khazi, and it's the best keyboard I've ever used!
Would Linux Mint 10 (Julia) run satisfactorily on this set-up instead?
caf4926
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Just saying Hi and asking some really daft questions!

Post by caf4926 »

I say Linux as in as you say Tin

Mint version: with Enlightenment E17 would serve you OK or LXDE
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon
mastery
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mastery »

Hexeta wrote:
My first question has to be: How does one pronounce the word "Linux"
I'm confused 'cos I've heard members of the computer press (presumably more knowledgeable than I) pronounce it, "Lin" (as in tin), whilst I have always assumed the name was derived from Linus Torvalds first name and should therefore rhyme with wine? :?
Here you go: http://mostlylinux.ca/pronounce/
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

caf4926 wrote:I say Linux as in as you say Tin

Mint version: with Enlightenment E17 would serve you OK or LXDE
+1
Mint Cinnamon 20
Hexeta
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Hexeta »

Great! thanks, now I know that it's "Linux" :mrgreen:

No idea what "Mint version: with Enlightenment E17" is or where to get it, but just googling I found two impressive YouTube vids on the subject, and I've joined the many folks wanting it, .....but nowhere can I find a download source.

Does it exist as a single entity, or must it be compiled from various sources, if so, I fear it might be beyond my current ability. :oops:
Craig_Dem
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Craig_Dem »

I would suggest you use Linux Mint: XFCE, LMDE or LXDE.

These are just more lightweight window managers than the default GNOME.

You can find them in the download section.
AMD Phenom 9550 Quad-Core Processor | ATI Radeon X1200 | Arch Linux | Gnome
2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | NVIDIA GeForce 9400 | Mac OS X 10.6.4 |
If your question is answered edit your topic title and add [SOLVED] to the beginning of it.
Hexeta
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Hexeta »

Craig_Dem wrote:I would suggest you use Linux Mint: XFCE, LMDE or LXDE.
These are just more lightweight window managers than the default GNOME.
You can find them in the download section.
Thanks for that Craig, I've been reading lots of things this evening and finding it hard to understand!
Whilst doing that, I've downloaded "Linuxmint-10-gnome-cd-i386.iso" which was recommended earlier and "md5sum.exe".
Couldn't figure out how to use "md5sum.exe" so downloaded "Fastsum 1.7" which verified the file.
(God knows how I'll manage in the Linux environment!) :oops:

I really don't understand what I'm doing, but presume that the recommendation of "Mint version: with Enlightenment E17" was infact a two stage process, ie. install "Mint", then find and install "Enlightenment E17".
Is that correct??
Also, where will I find "Enlightenment E17"?
....are there several "incarnations of it?
....if so which will be most appropriate?
Hexeta
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Hexeta »

Yet another daft question!
Craig mentioned the "Downloads section".
Where the hell is it!! :lol:

Really finding this experience very disorienting.
It's worse than that first foray into windoze, especially the feeling of total helplessness!
Just hope that my brain will soon begin to work. :oops:
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

The "downloads section" is the area where all the versions are available. At the moment, you have the only variation of Mint 10 available. The KDE, LXDE, XFCE, will be available within a couple of months. The Mint 10 Gnome that you have may be a little tight with only 3.2GB HDD. Actually almost any version of any OS would be. I'm amazed Windows XP will run. But if XP is running then Mint 10 Gnome should run better.
Last edited by tdockery97 on Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mint Cinnamon 20
Robin

Post by Robin »

As far as I know, there isn't any E17 Mint yet. The LXDE edition is likely the best choice for a newbie with a low-resource computer. My hardware is rather modest (512 RAM) and runs the Xfce edition very nicely, but it might be too much for less RAM than that...

I just checked and can't find the Enlightenment desktop environment in the repositories either.

However if you are set on having it (and I wouldn't blame you), PCLinuxOS has a brand new Enlightenment edition, and it's comparable to Linux Mint as far as "newbie friendliness" and community go. It is not Debian-based, however, but a unique mixture of sources blended into a first-rate Linux distro. Definitely worth a look.

Check hardware compatibility, though! It was troublesome on my old Dell, whereas Mint 9 Xfce worked flawlessly straight "out of the box."

-R
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

@Robin: That's the best avatar I've seen you use yet.
Mint Cinnamon 20
Hexeta
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Hexeta »

Hmm... thanks guys, beginning to think that even linux won't be able to save this little lappy fromthe landfil site!
I made the massive (and probably foolish) investment of Sterling 4.30 for an additional 128MB sodimm when I acquired it.
Would you believe that until then it had been running XP Pro SP2 on 192MB of RAM, and there was less than 82MB of free space on the HDD!!
It now has the system max of 2 x 128MB sodimms, and 32MB nailed in....still woefully short of Robin's 512MB!

I notice that PCLinuxOS Enlightenment E-17 2010.11 Desktop's hardware requirements call for a "Modern" processor and min 512MB of RAM for the "full-fat" version, no mention of what's needed to "fire up" the Lite/Mini version, but I suspect it'll be more than I've got. :(

I'm still in the dark as to where to find the "Downloads section" and would appreciate directions...a link maybe! :wink:
grey1960envoy
Level 4
Level 4

Post by grey1960envoy »

Go to "Linux mint main page and you will be there .There are a lot of distros that can run very nicely on your little lappy go to distrowatch and check out what is available
In a perfect world everything has it's place, Linux on my computer, windows on the wall, and M$ in the trash!
CrunchBang, LMDE, Mint 9 ,Peppermint Hackintosh and a few others :) Registered ...Machine; #432150 user ;#530829
Hexeta
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Hexeta »

grey1960envoy wrote:Go to "Linux mint main page and you will be there .There are a lot of distros that can run very nicely on your little lappy go to distrowatch and check out what is available
Hi, not sure if my brain has just gone to sleep or if it has infact died.
Just examined the main page entitled "Linux Mint Forums . Index page"
There is no evidence of a "downloads section", or "distrowatch" on that page. :?
grey1960envoy
Level 4
Level 4

Post by grey1960envoy »

not in these forums ...www.linuxmint.com will take you there. as for the distrowatch just type it out in your browser's home page and you will find it
In a perfect world everything has it's place, Linux on my computer, windows on the wall, and M$ in the trash!
CrunchBang, LMDE, Mint 9 ,Peppermint Hackintosh and a few others :) Registered ...Machine; #432150 user ;#530829
vincent
Level 8
Level 8

Post by vincent »

http://www.distrowatch.com

With your computer specs, I have doubts that you'll find even the lightweight Mint LXDE and Fluxbox versions snappy enough...although they'd certainly be more usable than Windows XP with your specs, I'd go for an even lightweight distro...my recommendation is Puppy Linux.
Debian Testing x64/LM9 Main x64/Windows 7 x64 - LG R580 laptop w/ Intel Core 2 Duo T6500 2.1 GHz, 4 GB DDR2 RAM, Nvidia Geforce G 105M, Ralink rt2860 802.11n, 300 GB WD HD 5400 rpm
caf4926
Level 7
Level 7

Post by caf4926 »

You can get Mint 9 versions here
http://www.linuxmint.com/release.php?id=13

It has longer support than 10
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon
Hexeta
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Hexeta »

Thanks guys for your help.
The unfortunate truth however is that the more I read the more confused I become, and it is beginning to dampen my ardor. :shock:
A couple of things have occured to me whilst following your links, and whilst browsing around.
First, I am struck by the extremely tardy connections on links to anything Linux.
So much so that I experience time-outs on most occasions when trying to follow links, and any onward connections.
I don't experience this with other "non-Linux" websites, so why is that?
Have they sensed that I'm an interloper and therefore a low priority? :)

Second, my only experince of installing a new OS onto a laptop was a clean install of XP, where the Windows disk was not one supplied with the machine.
I had therefore to hunt down and save all the required hardware drivers needed by the laptop, for later installation (Daft question alert!)
Is this the same when installing Linux?

I ask, because I read that Puppy linux could run from a USB Key on a PC with no hard disk, ergo no drivers in the machine at all!!

I've had a look at DistroWatch (Thanks for the link!) and have to admit that it might as well be written in Swahili!
Undaunted, I followed a few links but the "System Requirements" information is not shown, so I have no way of evaluating the suitability of any of the Distro's on offer.

Strange things are now happening with this website.
As I post, when I press "Enter", the cursor moves forward one space. Pressing "Enter" again results in the cursor dropping a line, as expected, but it drops down below the window, so I can nolonger see what I'm typing!!
I thought it must be me, but no....my machine performs perfectly on other sites

Is this what Bill Gates would refer to as a "Feature" or what???
Hexeta
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Hexeta »

Try posting again!

Having downloaded Linuxmint 10 and verified the checksum, do I have anything to lose by burning it to disk and trying it "Live"??

I ask because I did try a live CD of Ubuntu 6.06.1 i3 that I downloaded a couple of years ago.
Then, it failed to install on two PC's running Win98, both times I was told "GKU runtime environment was not present", or some such message!

I tried it on Friday on my Thinkpad and to my horror, amongst the DOS Script, I saw flash past was the following : "....error may have corrupted your IBM BIOS....."
It continued and loaded OK but after the briefest "cursory buchers", I exited the application, and thankfully, the BIOS was unaffected.

I was mortified because in the past I've been totally unable to enter the BIOS on this machine, (it is not as other machines), the closest I've been able to get to BIOS, was the "Thinkpad Configuration Program", but I have been unable to alter the amount of memory available to Graphics in there. YouTube is like a slow slide show!

Is it a possibility that the BIOS might become corrupted if I try LinuxMint 10?
Loss of the OS I could recover from, but on this machine, loss of BIOS would be terminal! :shock:

The input window seems to be OK again now, maybe it was telling me to shut up before! :mrgreen:
Aging Technogeek
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Aging Technogeek »

Lets try to simplify things for you.

Firstly, no less an authority than Linus Torvalds himself has said he pronounces Linux to rhyme with tin-ux.

Secondly. I doubt you will get Mint gnome of any recent vintage to load to your lappie. The stated minimum ram for installation is 512 MB and some systems have trouble loading with that much ram. It's better with 768 MB or more. You could go to the Linux Mint main page http://www.linuxmint.com/ and try downloading Mint 9 LXDE. to get to the download section, click on "Downloads" at the top of the page, then click on "9", then LXDE. read the release notes and take the link to "What's new in Linux Mint 9 LXDE". This version is not as intuitive to use for a long time Windows user, but it will install with only 192 MB of ram and normally run using less than 150 MB so it is a good match for your system.

If you decide to try it, return to the Release Notes and take the link to Downloads. Choose a mirror near you and click on it to start the download.

Burn the ISO image to a CD and try it on your computer.

Unlike some others. I do not recommend installing LMDE for this reason. It is still classified as a testing release. It has some kinks and quirks that experienced Linux users can easily correct but a new user might quickly become discouraged by the almost constant tweaking.

If you want to try other Linux distributions, I can recommend Peppermint one (http://peppermintos.com/), Crunchbang (http://crunchbanglinux.org/) or Puppy Linux (http://puppylinux.org/main/Overview%20a ... tarted.htm). Any of which should run well on your old IBM box.
Registered Linux User 483387

Return to “Newbie Questions”