How can I remove my linux Mint password?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
andreaborman
Level 2
Level 2

How can I remove my linux Mint password?

Post by andreaborman » Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:17 am

In Windows 7,I have an administrate account but no password.So I do not have to enter any password or username when I start,or lock my laptop. And I do not have to enter a password when I chnange computer settings or install software or do anything. But in Linux Mint I do have to enter a password every time my computer starts and every time I install software ,change or access settings or do anything in Linux mint and I hate this. I have tried typing in the terminal sudo visudo my username ALL=NO PASSWORD: ALL it then asked for my password for my usename, I gave it and pressed^X then exited but this command which I got from a forum did not work. Automatic log in does not work either. I just want to start my laptop and do everything on my computer like I do in Windows,adjust settings install software etc without having to enter my password every time. As only I have access to my computer my computer is not at risk. So is there any way to remove my Linux mint password like on Windows?Or can this setting not be changed? Could you give me instructions how to remove password if there is a way to do it I would be very grateful as I just cannot find any settings to remove password in Linux Mint. Andrea Borman. :|

JasonLG
Level 7
Level 7

Re: How can I remove my linux Mint password?

Post by JasonLG » Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:57 am

andreaborman wrote:In Windows 7,I have an administrate account but no password.So I do not have to enter any password or username when I start,or lock my laptop. And I do not have to enter a password when I chnange computer settings or install software or do anything. But in Linux Mint I do have to enter a password every time my computer starts and every time I install software ,change or access settings or do anything in Linux mint and I hate this. I have tried typing in the terminal sudo visudo my username ALL=NO PASSWORD: ALL it then asked for my password for my usename, I gave it and pressed^X then exited but this command which I got from a forum did not work. Automatic log in does not work either. I just want to start my laptop and do everything on my computer like I do in Windows,adjust settings install software etc without having to enter my password every time. As only I have access to my computer my computer is not at risk. So is there any way to remove my Linux mint password like on Windows?Or can this setting not be changed? Could you give me instructions how to remove password if there is a way to do it I would be very grateful as I just cannot find any settings to remove password in Linux Mint. Andrea Borman. :|
The reason that you are not asked for a password in Windows is that by default in Windows the user logs in with Administrator privileges.(which is a huge security risk and contributes to Windows malware vulnerability) In Linux this generally is not the case. In Linux for the most part the user logs in with user privileges and can sudo themselves into administrator(called root in LInux) privileges temporarily when absolutely necessary. This is done on purpose as a security feature and is best not tampered with.
"I see" said the blind man to the deaf man who stuck his wooden leg out the window to check the weather.

grey1960envoy
Level 4
Level 4

Post by grey1960envoy » Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:46 am

I cannot say for everyone but my thoughts were the same as yours is now fortunately I remembered windoze and all the viruses etc that helped me choose this distro. I am quite comfortable with the password these days and so is my wife ,beats the constant fight with AV scans , defragging , and crashes that I experienced using the other guys ! I believe that even if I could disable the password I wouldn't as the other person said it is a safety feature.
In a perfect world everything has it's place, Linux on my computer, windows on the wall, and M$ in the trash!
CrunchBang, LMDE, Mint 9 ,Peppermint Hackintosh and a few others :) Registered ...Machine; #432150 user ;#530829

Tom_Accuosti
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Tom_Accuosti » Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:43 pm

andreaborman wrote:In Windows 7,I have an administrate account but no password.So I do not have to enter any password or username when I start,or lock my laptop. And I do not have to enter a password when I chnange computer settings or install software or do anything. But in Linux Mint I do have to enter a password every time my computer starts and every time I install software ,change or access settings or do anything in Linux mint and I hate this. |
Andrea, I'm actually a newbie Ubuntu user that is thinking about switching over to Mint, so I've been pursuing these boards. I know that Ubuntu has a "tweak" program that allows you to do this, and as Mint is based on Ubuntu, it might be worth dropping by the Ubuntu forums to ask how it's done. It's not uncommon for Mint users to ask support questions over there.

A few weeks back, I had set up an old laptop for a friend with Mint 9. I didn't see how to change this, but I didn't search all that hard. However, I did set her PW to be just a single space (spacebar), which made it a simple thing for her to log on.

If you find how to do this, please let me know :-)

JasonLG
Level 7
Level 7

Post by JasonLG » Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:21 pm

Tom_Accuosti wrote:
andreaborman wrote:In Windows 7,I have an administrate account but no password.So I do not have to enter any password or username when I start,or lock my laptop. And I do not have to enter a password when I chnange computer settings or install software or do anything. But in Linux Mint I do have to enter a password every time my computer starts and every time I install software ,change or access settings or do anything in Linux mint and I hate this. |
Andrea, I'm actually a newbie Ubuntu user that is thinking about switching over to Mint, so I've been pursuing these boards. I know that Ubuntu has a "tweak" program that allows you to do this, and as Mint is based on Ubuntu, it might be worth dropping by the Ubuntu forums to ask how it's done. It's not uncommon for Mint users to ask support questions over there.

A few weeks back, I had set up an old laptop for a friend with Mint 9. I didn't see how to change this, but I didn't search all that hard. However, I did set her PW to be just a single space (spacebar), which made it a simple thing for her to log on.

If you find how to do this, please let me know :-)
Why don't you guys just shoot yourselves in the foot and get it over with?
"I see" said the blind man to the deaf man who stuck his wooden leg out the window to check the weather.

Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Fred » Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:41 pm

You should never run your Linux desktop as root, (administrator). This is just asking to have your system taken away from you and used against others. You ever heard of bots or zombies?

I have a question though. If you want your Linux system to run like Windows and you are unwilling to learn a new way of doing things, why are you using Linux. If you want something to run like Windows, nothing will ever run like Windows as good as Windows.

Linux is not Windows. :-)

Fred
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and each time expecting a different result.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on the menu. Liberty is an armed lamb protesting the electoral outcome. A Republic negates the need for an armed protest.

grey1960envoy
Level 4
Level 4

Post by grey1960envoy » Thu Nov 18, 2010 5:59 pm

Fred wrote:You should never run your Linux desktop as root, (administrator). This is just asking to have your system taken away from you and used against others. You ever heard of bots or zombies?

I have a question though. If you want your Linux system to run like Windows and you are unwilling to learn a new way of doing things, why are you using Linux. If you want something to run like Windows, nothing will ever run like Windows as good as Windows.

Linux is not Windows. :-)

Fred
AMEN TO THAT FRED !!!!!!!! LOL it don't work like windoze 'cause IT AINT WINDOZE!
In a perfect world everything has it's place, Linux on my computer, windows on the wall, and M$ in the trash!
CrunchBang, LMDE, Mint 9 ,Peppermint Hackintosh and a few others :) Registered ...Machine; #432150 user ;#530829

andreaborman
Level 2
Level 2

Post by andreaborman » Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:52 pm

Thank you for responding. first of all I want to say it is not true that Windows has lots of viruses and even if there was a password log in on windows,THAT does not save your computer from viruses. Which are picked up from downloading software from dodgy sites,which I am careful not to do. I know a lot of Linux users do not like Windows,but I have never had a problem with it. And Windows 7 is very secure. But at the same time I do not see why I have to have a password on Linux if I do not want one,which I dont.It is true on windows that because i have an administater account this is the reason Idont have to have any passwords. And you did say on Linux i can change my sudo account to Root account,which is the Linux verion of the administrater account that we have in Windows. well,if this is the way to get rid of having to use a password every time I do some thing,I want to do this. although I did try but I dont think I did it right. As when I tried to enable the root account it still wanted a user name and password. In Windows,yes,I have a name for my administater account Andrea,but no password. I want the same set up for Linux,but I do not know how to do it. To make it like it is in Windows so I dont have to use passwords to do anything. after all it is my computer so I think we should be given a choice in Linux about if we want to have log in,passwords and security settings or no passwords or security at all. This is some thing I feel strongly about. Having a choice over our own computer. So how do i get rid of having to use passwords? Andrea Borman.
Last edited by andreaborman on Fri Nov 19, 2010 5:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tom_Accuosti
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Tom_Accuosti » Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:05 pm

Tom_Accuosti wrote:A few weeks back, I had set up an old laptop for a friend with Mint 9. I didn't see how to change this, but I didn't search all that hard. However, I did set her PW to be just a single space (spacebar), which made it a simple thing for her to log on.
I had to look at this again, and I realize that I did not set her up as root; I set her up with her own account. However, I was trying to figure out a way to have Mint 9 automatically boot directly into her own account, instead of asking for a PW at the log in screen.

That said, maybe this arrangement would work just as well for Andrea. I suspect that she (like a lot of people) simply wants an appliance that she can turn on and use.

Fred wrote:You should never run your Linux desktop as root, (administrator). This is just asking to have your system taken away from you and used against others. You ever heard of bots or zombies?
Well, I've been watching Walking Dead...

Seriously, while I just found this forum and don't want to get off to a bad start, I think I should point out that Mint is often referred to as the best Linux distro for people making the jump from Windows, so you can't really complain when a n00b wanders in here, wondering how to make their install look and act like Windows. This isn't necessarily because they like Windows; it's probably because they've gotten used to working a certain way, and they'd like to continue that way if possible, simply because it's familiar. Since most of us use a PC for some kind of work, a familiar interface helps to get us up and running as quickly as possible.

Now, considering that dozens, maybe even thousands of people somehow manage to run Windows without having their PC hijacked, maybe it would be okay for Andrea to have some kind of log-in account that allows her to work pretty closely to how she's already accustomed. Is there any way for Mint to boot directly into such an account? If she gives it a simple password, that might alleviate some of her frustration at trying to work in a way that's comfortable and familiar.

Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Fred » Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:57 pm

andreaborman wrote:
To make it like it is in Windows so I dont have to use passwords to do anything. after all it is my computer so I think we should be given a choice in Linux about if we want to have log in,passwords and security settings or no passwords or security at all. This is some thing I fells strongly about. Having a choice over our own computer. So how do i get rid of having to use passwords?
Well I suspect I will not be able to change you mind, though I admire a person that has passion even if it is, in this case and in my opinion, misdirected. Therefore, maybe you will understand that I also feel strongly about running a naked system that not only threatens you but more importantly, millions of others.

Let me try an analogy. Many would argue that it is their right to drink and drive. That it is their car, their life, and they are willing to take the risk. I don't subscribe to this argument either because I don't agree to take the risk your decision entails. When you threaten my safety and millions of others I have a right to descent. Your rights end at my nose, as the saying goes.

Understanding my position, maybe you will understand when I say that I will not tell you how to do what you are asking. I am sure that if you work at it someone, somewhere will tell you how to accomplish what you want, but it won't be me. Sorry :-)

Tom_Accuosti wrote:
Is there any way for Mint to boot directly into such an account? If she gives it a simple password, that might alleviate some of her frustration at trying to work in a way that's comfortable and familiar.
Yes, you can easily set it up so you can automatically log in to a user account. I would refer you to the post referenced below. I wouldn't recommend using a very simple password however. This goes a long way towards defeating the purpose of using it to authorize potentially risky operations.

Actually, once your system is set up like you want it, there is little need to use the sudo/root password on a regular basis. I don't use the root/sudo password more than 3-4 times a week. And that is probably an exaggeration.

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... in#p338701

By the way, welcome, both of you, to the Linux Mint forum. :-)

Fred
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and each time expecting a different result.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on the menu. Liberty is an armed lamb protesting the electoral outcome. A Republic negates the need for an armed protest.

JasonLG
Level 7
Level 7

Post by JasonLG » Fri Nov 19, 2010 5:08 am

andreaborman wrote:Thank you for responding. first of all I want to say it is not true that Windows has lots of viruses and even if there was a password log in on windows,THAT does not save your computer from viruses. Which are picked up from downloading software from dodgy sites,which I am careful not to do.
It's not true that there are Tens of thousands of computer viruses written that can effect a Windows machine? :roll: What planet are you from? Here on Earth there are lots of Windows viruses floating around the internet.

You're right a password in Windows won't help you from getting a virus. But in Linux it does. The reasons that Windows in so susceptible to viruses are many, they include among other things: market share, no file permission system, logging in as Administrator by default, and being based on a single user system. Windows is vulnerable because it pretty much assumes that everybody's your friend. Linux is more secure because it knows that everybody's out to get you.

You don't necessarily have to download anything to get a virus from the web, you know this don't you?
andreaborman wrote:But at the same time I do not see why I have to have a password on Linux if I do not want one,which I dont.It is true on windows that because i have an administater account this is the reason Idont have to have any passwords.
like Fred said, If you want something to work like Windows then use Windows.

andreaborman
Level 2
Level 2

Post by andreaborman » Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:15 am

Yes,it is true you could be the unlucky one who gets a computer virus,by not downloading anything. I take it you could be talking about accessing your computer from a remote desktop connection,another computer or public computer,such as an office computer or Internet cafe.

There is a feature on Windows to enable remote access to your computer from another computer,but I never use it. I have disabled this because I do not think it safe to connect to my computer from another computer such as Internet cafes. When I am away from home. And there is also Homegroup which connects to other computers,but I do not use this either.

And I do not have a virus protection program,not even the free ones. Because this may block access to some of my programs or some times tell me I have a virus when I don't.

So thats why I am against virus protection programs. Everything I am talking about here refers to Windows programs not Linux. But it is not true either that because you are on Linux you can never get a virus.

One person mentioned that using Linux without a password is like drinking and driving. But you can hardly compare lowering certain security features on a computer to drinking and driving. I have never had a virus yet on my computer and because I have not enabled the Windows feature access your computer from another computer or remotely,I do not think it very likely that some one else can hack my computer.

I never take my laptop outside,I only use it in my home. So I never connect to public Wifi in coffee shops or other public places,where there is a risk of computer hacking and maybe viruses.As only I have access and use my computer and it is on a home network. How can I get a virus? I suppose I could but I think my chances of that are extemly low.Or could it be that using Linux has a higher risk of getting a computer viruses than Windows? And that Windows operating system has a lower risk? But some people think it is the other way round.

But I do not think that using Windows carries a higher risk of getting a computer virus. And I presume,although I dont realy know that you cannot get a computer virus on Linux,if its a home computer.

And I do not think that removing a password will put me at risk. It will take away one big pain in the neck. which is what it is and it is very annoying having to keep entering a password all the time i want to do some thing. and I would like to disable this feature as I do not need it.

But it could be on the Linux operating system,that unlike Windows,Linux does not allow you to do this. If that is true then Iguess,that I and other users,if they want to use Linux. Will have to put up with this irritating feature of having to enter their password every time they want to do some thing.

Yet in some ways because in Linux you can only install web browsers and software that are in the packages. It is safer than downloading from a web site. So I do not see why installing software from the listed packages,needs you to enter a password or why linux sees it as a security risk. It is all very silly. Andrea Borman.
Last edited by andreaborman on Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:40 pm, edited 6 times in total.

JasonLG
Level 7
Level 7

Post by JasonLG » Fri Nov 19, 2010 7:06 am

andreaborman wrote:Yes,it is true you could be the unlucky one who gets a computer virus,by not downloading anything. I take it you could be talking about accessing your computer from a remote desktop connection,another computer or public computer,such as an office computer or Internet cafe. There is a feature on windows to enable remote access to your computer from another computer,but i never use it. I have disabled this because I do not think it safe to connect to my computer from another computer such as Internet cafes. When I am away from home. And there is also Homegroup which connects to other computers,but I do not use this either. And i do not have a virus protection program,not even the free ones. Because this may block access to some of my programs or some times tell me I have a virus when I dont. So thats why I am against virus protection programs. Everything I am talking about here refers to Windows programs not Linux. But it is not true either that because you are on Linux you can never get a virus. One person mentioned that using Linux without a password is like drinking and driving. But you can hardly compare lowering certain security features on a computer to drinking and driving. I have never had a virus yet on my computer and because I have not enabled the Windows feature access your computer from another computer or remotely,I do not think it very likely that some one else can hack my computer. I never take my laptop outside,I only use it in my home. So I never connect to public Wifi in coffee shops or other public places,where there is a risk of computer hacking and maybe viruses.As only I have access and use my computer and it is on a home network. How can I get a virus? I suppose I could but I think my chances of that are extemly low.Or could it be that using Linux has a higher risk of getting a computer viruses than Windows? And that Windows operating system has a lower risk? But some people think it is the other way round. But i do not thing that using windows carries a higher risk of getting a computer virus. And I presume,although I dont realy know that you cannot get a computer virus on Linux,if its a home computer.And I do not think that removing a password will put me at risk. It will take away one big pain in the neck. which is what it is and it is very annoying having to keep entering a password all the time i want to do some thing. and I would like to disable this feature as I do not need it. But it could be on the Linux operating system,that unlike Windows,Linux does not allow you to do this. If that is true then Iguess,that I and other users,if they want to use Linux. Will have to put up with this irritating feature of having to enter their password every time they want to do some thing.Yet in some ways because in Linux you can only install web browsers and software that are in the packages. It is safer than downloading from a web site. So I do not see why installing software from the listed packages,needs you to enter a password or why linux sees it as a security risk. It is all very silly. Andrea Borman.
There are so may glaring falsehoods and misconceptions in this post I can only assume that you are either very, very misinformed, insane, mentally handicapped or higher then a bat's behind. In any case I can see there is no reasoning with you and therefore am not going to waste any more of my time. Good bye and have a great time with your disease ridden(or at least soon to be with your security model) Windows computer.

Cheesethief
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Cheesethief » Fri Nov 19, 2010 7:10 am

I suggest reading guides on safe computing before going anywhere near the security settings menu of your (or anyone else's) computer.

Only then maybe you will find out how ignorant you are being when you try to disable your password protection.
Desktop: Intel Core i5-2500K 3.3GHz, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6670 1GB: Windows 8.1 Pro
Laptop: Intel Core i7-2675QM 2.2GHz, 6GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6750M/Intel HD Graphics 3000: Linux Mint 17.1
Server: Raspberry Pi Model B: Raspbian Wheezy

andreaborman
Level 2
Level 2

Post by andreaborman » Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:08 am

Well,there is no evidence to prove that removing a password from Linux or Windows will attract viruses and on Linux as you install software from the packages. Then you cannot possibly get a computer virus just by removing your password.I just do not understand why I cannot find the setting or way to remove my password in Linux. there must be a way but I have not found it yet. Andrea Borman.

GSXR750L
Level 3
Level 3

Post by GSXR750L » Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:55 pm

I wonder if she locks her car or her house :roll: la la la not listening :!:

The wolf then came to the house of sticks.

"Let me in ,Let me in little pig or I'll huff and I'll puff and I'll blow your house in" "Not by the hair of my chinny chin chin", said the little pig. But the wolf blew that house in too, and ate the second little pig.

DrHu
Level 17
Level 17

Post by DrHu » Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:45 pm

andreaborman wrote:Thank you for responding. first of all I want to say it is not true that Windows has lots of viruses and even if there was a password log in on windows,THAT does not save your computer from viruses. Which are picked up from downloading software from dodgy sites,which I am careful not to do. I know a lot of Linux users do not like Windows,but I have never had a problem with it.
..does not save your computer from viruses
I don't have a problem with windows either, lets say from the XP era onwards

However, it is true that in the Linux world there is a much better separation of administrative/system tasks from normal user tasks (running applications, printing, reading files)
--and that is part of the reason (and not the windows spin we are bigger and the most popular so naturally we get attacked more), that Linux (UNIX) is in a basic sense better protected; despite your statements about passwords don't protect you from viruses
  • In windows TRUE, because everyone can be administrator, although that has changed since Vista/win7 whereby Microsoft is now adopting some type of MAC (Mandatory Access Control) to overcome the deficiencies of their initial OS design DOS + GUI interface and everyone is an admin, up to and including some versions of windows XP..
UAC..User Account Control, Windows OS.
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows- ... ows-vista/

When I use a windows machine, I use it as a windows machine: I don't expect it to act as Linux or Apple's OSX does
  • And vice-versa for any other OS..

andreaborman
Level 2
Level 2

Post by andreaborman » Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:27 pm

First of all on Windows there is the administer account that is also called the user account. And recently I had to restore my Windows 7 laptops,I have 2 both Netbooks back to factory condition. Which put my laptops back to the way they were before I bought them. And so I had to go through the process of setting up Windows again.

Now on first time set up of Windows it asks you to type in a computer name,for example Andrea. Then there is an option to type in a password but if you do not want a password,then you just leave that blank and click next.

Now when Windows asks you to create a name for your computer you have to have a computer name,there is no choice about that and you can just type in your name. But you do not have to create a password or have a password if you do not want one.

On Windows 7 there is also the hidden administer account that you can enable with a command prompt but even with that,again, you do not have to have a password for this account either. And if you do enable the hidden administer account,there will be 2 administer accounts on the Windows log on screen. Yours and the administer account,called administer by default but you do not have to have a password to log into either of them if you do not want one. I know this because I have enabled the hidden administer account in the past. But I disabled it again as I do not see the point in having 2 administers when there is only one administer using the computer,me.

On Linux it is a different case altogether in that you must have a password and there is no way to disable this feature or remove the password. Although you can enable automatic log in which gets you out of having to log in with a password. You still have to enter your password,every time you install software from the package manager,or make changes to settings on your computer. And there is no way to disable this feature and I have not found a way.

I think it is all very silly that I have to enter a password every time I do some thing on my own computer on Linux. And that is one of the things that puts me off of Linux and it is about time they changed it.

Not having any password is every computer owners choice and Windows understands that. So why can't Linux? Andrea Borman.

GSXR750L
Level 3
Level 3

Post by GSXR750L » Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:37 pm

Windows is designed that way as they are a pyramid money making machine, its in their interests and their partner companies - - Linux is not Windows -- Linux is a responsible software community :D

Sell someone a car - they will always need petrol -- Construct it with sub-standard materials - it will always need servicing -- Bingo lots of Money :lol:

monkeyboy
Level 5
Level 5

Post by monkeyboy » Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:17 pm

If you don't like it, make something better
If you can't make something better, adapt
If you can't do either ball your panties up and cry.

Complaining is like masticating most anyone can do it.
However doing it in public is really hardcore.

Return to “Newbie Questions”