What are your top tips for a Newbie?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
7vn11vn

Re: What are your top tips for a Newbie?

Post by 7vn11vn »

InkKnife wrote:I think you all are over complicating things.
I switched completely to Linux Mint last year after almost 25 years of mostly using Macs and the switch was easy. I didn't have to learn how to use terminal, everything has worked right out of the box and if anything I think Mint/Cinnamon is easier than OSX in several important ways.
I have helped a few new people get setup on Mint and the only thing I do is give them a brief walk thru of the interface and the only real topic that needs explanation is how the software center is where you go to find new software.
That's it. Mint is slick and easy.
I agree with this. All the talk of the command line / terminal thing can scare a lot of people off from giving it a try because they think it's going to be too complicated. I installed Mint 14 back a few months ago and I've never used the terminal and don't see any reason to. It's nice that it's there for those that want to use it, but new people should know that you can install Mint, then your software and use it just like you would with your Windows or Mac operating systems. It's simple as can be and one heck of a lot cheaper.
Acid_1
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Acid_1 »

DrHu wrote: Terminal
It really is quite useful and faster (provided you can use the commands), after some repeated entries of the same command line, you would get to know the routine, and wouldn't be flumuxed by most of what is shown
--one tip for the command line, sometimes there is no apparent response from the system, that just means the command was accepted and has no response. Hit the enter key to see the prompt; dfeinitely don't just wait and think something will happen (just give it a litle time, ~5secs is more than enough wait time for most commands
https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Linux_For ... mmand_Line

I am think apt (Debian's package manager: although they seem to keep going apt or aptitude and maybe aren't sure which one they want users to prefer..) is way faster than any of the GUI package managers' (Synaptic or Mint's own version), prpvided you know what you want to install; even searches are quicker..

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
--two commands I am always using to make sure I am up-to-date for the OS + applications 
http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/linux-deb ... sheet.html

This is very true. The termninal can speed so many things up for you, and after a little practice, the outputs will become familiar to you and problems will be easier to solve.

As far as package management goes, I find apt is more than sufficient for installing programs, and Synaptic is always available if you need a GUI. I find MintInstall and Ubuntu Software Centre too clunky to be used efficiently, just my 5 cents. (I live in Canada, and they discontinued the penny!)
albertfuller

Post by albertfuller »

If you want to get into Linux (Mint is my favorite distro for a few years now) and you are coming from Mac or Windows, I suggest that you install VirtualBox (read google on how to install Linux iso in VirtualBox and look at YouTube) because Linux is not going to surpass Apple and Windows for advanced multimedia (like you have a blueray player or you update your smartphone operating system through your current system.

Installing Mint in VirtualBox is quite straightforward. The first thing you are going to need to learn is how to update/upgrade software in Mint so you need to study apt-get (get its documentation and read) also to learn about what software is available use Synaptic; next you can try another desktops (Cinnamon or Kde).

enjoy....
mandoman
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mandoman »

deanom wrote:Hi
I'm thinking of trying Mint for the first time, and have no experience of using any Linux distros. What are your top tips for me BEFORE my DVD arrives?
Possible topics:
Installation
Connecting to the Internet
Problem Solving
Please note that technical instructions will need to be pretty basic.
Thanks

Deano
Lincolnshire
England
1. Don't expect much help from most Linux geeks.
2. Ask your question in the appropriate forum listing, and hope someone that knows will help you without being a smart ass.
3. Do a lot of Google searching for answers, Like "How to", and "What Is".
What was that code again?
revelationman
Level 1
Level 1

Post by revelationman »

Here is my top tip for newbies, just go for it, Linux Mint ( I will use Linux Mint in this case ) is a straightforwad system to use, but my advise is to save documents or any other items on a USB stick.

My other top tip keep your system vanilla, till you get comfortable with Linux and how it generally operates

Lastly you do not have to be a geek or some computer genius to use Linux, in fact I would say it is easier to run and manage then Windows

Another tip if you are tenative, find a older computer 5 years is good bet, I am running Linux Mint on a 9 year old system , and use that as your tester, till you get use to using Linux

Lastly just enjoy Linux is great , Linx Mint is a wonderful system,
warprunner

Post by warprunner »

When I started in 2008, I was completely in the dark. I was a master at Windows. I had even worked on Windows 1.0 !
DOS was not problem for me and would work there more than using a GUI.
So I decided to switch over a computer to find out all the hub-bub of Linux... BOOM!!!!! I was hooked.
What I remember and are good things to keep in mind are:
  • Don't run commands that you don't know. Read up on them and get the understanding and watch out for switches.
  • If you ask a question, respond to those trying to help ASAP. They need to see files and outputs. Don't hesitate. Remember they are giving their time for free.
  • When someone fixes your issue...praise them. Tell them just how much you have appreciated what they did for you.
  • Scan the forums for your issue and Google FIRST!!!
  • Read the forums everyday. You are going to be amazed at how brilliant you will get by reading all the issues and fixes.
  • Get the manual. It's free. READ IT!
  • HAVE FUN!!! Thats what it's about. Play, change things to your liking.
Good luck!!!!
Acid_1
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Acid_1 »

warprunner wrote:When I started in 2008, I was completely in the dark. I was a master at Windows. I had even worked on Windows 1.0 !
DOS was not problem for me and would work there more than using a GUI.
So I decided to switch over a computer to find out all the hub-bub of Linux... BOOM!!!!! I was hooked.
What I remember and are good things to keep in mind are:
  • Don't run commands that you don't know. Read up on them and get the understanding and watch out for switches.
  • If you ask a question, respond to those trying to help ASAP. They need to see files and outputs. Don't hesitate. Remember they are giving their time for free.
  • When someone fixes your issue...praise them. Tell them just how much you have appreciated what they did for you.
  • Scan the forums for your issue and Google FIRST!!!
  • Read the forums everyday. You are going to be amazed at how brilliant you will get by reading all the issues and fixes.
  • Get the manual. It's free. READ IT!
  • HAVE FUN!!! Thats what it's about. Play, change things to your liking.
Good luck!!!!
1.01 actually ;)
warprunner

Post by warprunner »

Acid_1 wrote:1.01 actually ;)
Ahhh...ok my age and memory are showing here! LOL! :D
I2k4
Level 5
Level 5

Post by I2k4 »

mandoman wrote:
I'm thinking of trying Mint for the first time, and have no experience of using any Linux distros. What are your top tips for me BEFORE my DVD arrives?
Possible topics:
Installation
Problem Solving
Thanks

Deano
Lincolnshire
England
2. Ask your question in the appropriate forum listing, and hope someone that knows will help you without being a smart ass.
I'd say Mandoman is being unfair to forum participants, who in my experience have been very helpful on specific topics. That said, my advice to anybody who is completely new to any of these distros is to try it out before installing on the hard drive.

I personally prefer downloading an ISO and using Windows to create a bootable Persistent Live USB - it's a fantastic way to test out the look and feel, compatibility with your own hardware, and find out what third party software is supported. Most end-users are not, repeat not, madly in love with glorious operating systems but mainly concerned with getting to productive and up to date software as soon as possible. The best way to ease into Linux is with Persistent Live USB boots that don't muck up the hard drive and give a realistic intro to what third party software is on offer. If impressed with that, installing on hard drive is even faster and better.
TRUST BUT VERIFY any advice from anybody, including me. Mint/Ubuntu user since 10.04 LTS. LM20 64 bit XFCE (Dell 1520). Dual boot LM20 XFCE / Win7 (Lenovo desktop and Acer netbook). Testing LM21.1 Cinnamon and XFCE Live for new Lenovo desktop.
InkKnife
Level 5
Level 5

Post by InkKnife »

mandoman wrote:
Possible topics:
Installation
Problem Solving
Thanks

Deano
Lincolnshire
England
I switched to Linux a year and a half ago from OSX and have found Linux geeks to be extremely helpful. Frankly I think that is a slur on the community that it does not deserve.
I'm not so much a n00b anymore only because of all the generous help I had with questions from the Linux community here and elsewhere. A feature of switching to Linux is the welcoming community I found.
i7 3770, 12GB of ram, 256GB SSD, 64GB SSD, 750GB HDD, 1TB HDD, Cinnamon.
jgradyc

Post by jgradyc »

As a Linux Mint 14 user for less than a year, here's my suggestions after reading this entire thread.

1. Use Unetbootin to make a Persistence Live USB to save settings and test various distros to see what you like best. (I didn't do this, but it sounds like a great idea! See how to test distros in step 3.)
2. Save your data in the cloud. If your files are really that important, saving them in another partition on the same hard drive or even a 2nd hard drive isn't good enough. What happens if the computer is lost, stolen, or the entire computer is destroyed? I use dropbox and pay to get more storage. Dropbox also allows you to sync files so you can work on more than one computer (see below). (It also lets me backup my wife's computer files at no extra cost.)
3. List what you want your distro to do. Download all the applications and test them to see if they work. If they don't, move to another distro. This will save you a lot of time down the road.
4. Have more than one computer. Linux runs fine on an old HP that you can buy for $80 on eBay. Link all your computers with dropbox. Keep windows on one computer in case you need it and to remind you of how awful Windows is. :mrgreen: I have four laptops. I might use one to watch a movie while using the other to surf the internet. I have a big laptop for home use and a 12 inch laptop for travel. Three of the four laptops cost me a total of $250. The Windows laptop cost $600. :oops:
4a. Have more than one hard drive. If you can't afford $80 for a second laptop, then buy a hard drive for $40 on eBay and install Linux on it. Keep your old Windows hard drive in case you need Windows for something. If you keep your files on dropbox, you can sync all your files so you can work on whichever laptop suits your whim at the time.
5. Search for information online, but ALWAYS look at the dates. This thread was started in 2010. Limit google searches to one year at first.
6. Keep notes of your changes so you can reverse them if you don't like the results.
7. YouTube explains a lot of Linux issues. Search there as well when you have a question.
8. I saved this for last because it's more controversial. After almost a year, the only major problems I've had with Linux were issues dealing with partitions and dual booting. I'd suggest you do what I do now on the last two laptops I've installed Linux Mint on. Wipe the drive and install only Linux. If you want to keep the old Windows system for whatever reason, buy a second hard drive and install Linux on it.
jamvaru

Post by jamvaru »

'cloud' storage is insecure, do not store sensitive material there (or racy photos?)

1. ditch windows (if not, then you can 'shrink' your windows partition to make room for linux, or install in same partition, depending on 'distro')
2. learn the terminal - i PREFER gui solutions, but ultimately TERMINAL rules; if you can't figure it out, look for a 'terminal' solution in forums, etc.
3. stick with one distro, like LM - learn it well enough to be proficient, meaning you can get your work done with no 'stress' from the computer
4. find a good online tutorial site that can teach you linux administration (computer management) or check a book out from the library
5. never stop learning; the moment we stop we die, like sharks; well, we can start swimming again, if we don't stop for 2 long, lol
6. become a linux activist; promote linux, give 'coasters' away to all your friends and family: LM14.1 is a good candidate for that
7. spin your own linux cd/dvd version; some programs help you make your own installable disc you can share, like 'aptoncd'
8. become a linux master; complete these steps and you will make a million bucks
markpogi

Post by markpogi »

Make sure to read a lot of how-to's on Linux Mint. Better yet, always ask your Linux Administrator for some tips and tricks on navigating through the CLI.
HelloWorld78

Post by HelloWorld78 »

i suggest downloading it before it arrives. get your hands dirty.

its one of the easiest OSs' to use. no learning curve. if you are switching from windows understand up front that your windows apps will not run just by double clicking them, you will use a program called wine to run windows apps. not all apps are supported, but in my experience everything i have ever needed is. this includes spotify, photoshop, and a web theme application called artisteer.

biggest problems at first: screen resolution support. a lot of times your screen size will be defaulted to 1024x768 in almost all of my linux experiences. it can take some time and questions to get your screen size/resolution working properly depending on your video hardware.

wowwww... talk about forum necromancy.
widget

Post by widget »

menine111 wrote:dose anyone know how to update from Linux mint 10 to Linux mint 14 in one go could you message me if you know how
I realize this is an ancient thread but feel compelled to comment on this.

This is a help forum. When you have a problem you run a forum search to see if your question has already been answered. If not you post your question.

You do not do things in PM. You do them in open forum so others can have the information too.

To do otherwise is a waste of server space, the posters time (from not running a search) and a total waste of anyone answering the post as they would have to do it for everyone, individually that has the same question.

People on forums, offering help and advice are not paid. They are freely offering their knowledge and experience. Don't waste it in the belief that you deserve private help excluding the rest of the community.
hal8000
Level 4
Level 4

Post by hal8000 »

My top tips for a newbie:

Local Library: (plenty of linux books available, some even in full colour now)

Magazines: Check your newsagent for Linux Format, Linux Magazine, Linux User & Developer or search on Ebay
( last one not for newbies)

Google is also a great search engine.
You will probably find your question has been asked before, and if no-one is able to answer
there is always Linux Questions that gives a lot of support to newbies.

YouTube May not alwys have the answer but many good postings on youtube.

Use [Solved] If your question has been answered, you can edit your own posts, so scroll
up to subject and add [solved] to your title. This saves everyone reading the thread again.

Search google for a Linux User group
http://lug.org.uk/uklugs

When posting a question always post Mint version and Desktop you use.
If its a hardware question try and provide some basic hardware detail.

If a software question, mention name and version of program, and most important
try to copy and paste (ctrl+C ctrl+V work the same as windows for some linux desktops)
the error message. Saying "this does not work..." doesnt help anyone.

Above all, dont be arrogant, many get frustrated when trying to do things, which are to be fair,
a lot more complex than in windows.

It's been said before but I'll echo it anyway, no one gets paid on the forum for helping you.
So if someone does help you, and theres always more than one way of doing things in linux
be grateful. It may take a few posts before a solution is found.

You've taken your first step into a much bigger world of computing by installing linux, so
your journey starts here, in the forums, enjoy.
TheOne

Post by TheOne »

Dont be afraid to ask in the forum!
No question is too stupid!
JadeRae

Post by JadeRae »

Hello everyone! I am also a complete noob to Linux Mint but am ready for a change.

I've use Windows most of my life, starting with 3.1. When ME hit shelves I got so frustrated with it that I completely uninstalled and started using a version of RedHat...but I went back to windows when Xp came around. Now with Windows 8 completely letting me down and belittling my intelligence with its pretty sounds and colors and useless interface I'm ready to go back to Linux. I'm going to be building a new system just for Linux, and after much searching around have decided to use Mint.

Does anyone have any suggestions on hardware that us more or less compatible with Linux? I'm going to be using 64-bit, and I typically use Intel processors, if that makes any difference.

I'm also a heavy gamer, skyrim, fallout, KOTOR and the likes. I was afraid that it was going to be difficult for me to continue my steady gaming...but after searching around it seems that there are several sites which have emulators or the like for us gamers! One question I do have though, that I wasn't able to find an answer for was this: I run a program specific to a Skyrim community website called 'Nexus Mod Manager' to manage my Skyrim mods. Will there be a way for me to still run programs like this on Mint? I realize that this might be an unanswerable question, but I figured I'd give it a shot. Even before installing Mint, I can already tell that the Linux community is awesome! :)
TheOne

Post by TheOne »

JadeRae wrote:Hello everyone! I am also a complete noob to Linux Mint but am ready for a change.

I've use Windows most of my life, starting with 3.1. When ME hit shelves I got so frustrated with it that I completely uninstalled and started using a version of RedHat...but I went back to windows when Xp came around. Now with Windows 8 completely letting me down and belittling my intelligence with its pretty sounds and colors and useless interface I'm ready to go back to Linux. I'm going to be building a new system just for Linux, and after much searching around have decided to use Mint.

Does anyone have any suggestions on hardware that us more or less compatible with Linux? I'm going to be using 64-bit, and I typically use Intel processors, if that makes any difference.

I'm also a heavy gamer, skyrim, fallout, KOTOR and the likes. I was afraid that it was going to be difficult for me to continue my steady gaming...but after searching around it seems that there are several sites which have emulators or the like for us gamers! One question I do have though, that I wasn't able to find an answer for was this: I run a program specific to a Skyrim community website called 'Nexus Mod Manager' to manage my Skyrim mods. Will there be a way for me to still run programs like this on Mint? I realize that this might be an unanswerable question, but I figured I'd give it a shot. Even before installing Mint, I can already tell that the Linux community is awesome! :)
Have you tried wine?
$ apt-get install wine
adanedhel728

Post by adanedhel728 »

Okay, admittedly, I've read hardly any of this thread, but I'm afraid I don't really have the time right now, and I did have a few thoughts about this. Maybe some of this has already been said, and maybe some people would disagree with some of the things that I think.

First of all, Mint is a very good selection for a first time user. It's generally pretty stable and smooth, and very easy to use. Not to mention very customizable (which is the main reason why I use it). Also, a lot of stuff comes with it by default (like codecs, Flash, Java, etc.) that you have to spend time trying to figure out how to activate if you're using a different distro.

Secondly, and I think a lot of people would disagree with this, I say avoid Wine as much as possible. I must give the developers credit for doing something that I imagine must have been very difficult, but that doesn't really change the fact that Wine just, in general, doesn't really work very well. And it can be very aggravating. Better to keep VirtualBox with a Windows VM installed instead, I think, but even better than that is to find an open-source alternative, even if it takes some getting used to. But there are some exceptions; I use the Netflix hack all the time, which uses Wine, and it works surprisingly well.

Thirdly, be aware that, more often than not, if it works in Ubuntu then it works in Mint. Say, for example, if you want to install Dropbox from the website instead of through Synaptic. You can get the .deb file that's designed for Ubuntu and it will work fine. And the previous link I just gave is meant for Ubuntu, but it works fine in Mint. But there are still some differences, especially in the interface, since Mint doesn't use Unity.

Fourthly (almost done), I'm guessing that the OP has already started using Mint, but in case someone else comes along and sees this, I would suggest first trying it out in VirtualBox rather than through a LiveCD. LiveCDs are pretty slow, and I think give a bad experience overall when compared to the way the OS will work after it's installed. So, if you really want to know how the OS will operate, you'll get more out of a virtual machine, and you'll even be able to see how the install process works, as well as customizing the desktop and installing software.

Fifthly and finally, this is less true with Mint than other distros, but I've learned that I need to be very patient with Linux troubleshooting sometimes. Honestly, I think that Linux's general downfall is that it's pretty rare that something goes right on the first try. Many, many programs that I install require some kind of troubleshooting before I can get them working, including the OS itself. Weird, cryptic error messages come up, video players go black, and may God show grace upon you if you need a program that can only be installed by compiling from source, because I've almost never been able to get that to work. Troubleshooting in Linux can be a nightmare. Thankfully, this is one reason why I like Mint and Ubuntu; this happens a lot less often when I'm using them. This also seems, in my experience, to get better through the passage of time. But it does happen.

Oh, one more thing that I thought of. Some people might not be too happy about me saying this last thing, but one terminal command that I find myself using quite a bit lately is "sudo caja." (Caja is the default file manager for MATE, but you can replace it with any file manager you want. When I was using Ubuntu with Gnome 2, for example, it was "sudo nautilus.") Be very careful when you're doing this, though, because what it does is open a graphical file explorer in superuser mode, so you can change anything on your system. Meaning you could potentially destroy anything on your system. I imagine that might seem very off-the-wall, but it's very handy for changing settings that can only be changed with superuser mode.

Return to “Beginner Questions”