What are your top tips for a Newbie?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
thatsallurspaceships

Re: What are your top tips for a Newbie?

Post by thatsallurspaceships »

I also am a long time Windows user. I hate every OS beside MS DOS and Linux. Before i had to get software/hacks from various sites to get a decent Computer and still nice software for Win is weak for attacks or you need to watch out that software doesn't break your system. There are many from 3rd party AV to Photoshop which are made to take over your system. That is why i'm not a fan of Apple too. Give me the best stuff you have - LinuxMint! :mrgreen:

P.S.: Here is my top tip. Find someone who wants to try Linux too. Then you can learn from each other. It is the best way to learn when you have someone on the same level. This would be great. There is no other reason I'm trying to convince others to go to Linux.
werkman2
Level 1
Level 1

Post by werkman2 »

i once got to a comp shop and i asked for a modem that was linux compatible, and the guy asked what kind of comp brand linux is.... he didn,t even know linux is an os.
Elisa

Post by Elisa »

werkman2 wrote:....
:lol: Can you add what country that sell/os/er is from? :)
frostfire

Post by frostfire »

I would say get your drivers installed and reboot right away. Then set up your Compiz Fusion so u can enable wobbly windows XD . and USE LINUX MINT ALWAYS!!!! dont use ubuntu it is annoying to use cuz u cant see other windows like on a bar at top or bottom and the side thing always pops out at wrong moment it is soo annoying!!! Dont plan on playing windows games right away sometimes they are a pain and take time to get working.
rijnsma

Post by rijnsma »

werkman2 wrote:i once got to a comp shop and i asked for a modem that was linux compatible, and the guy asked what kind of comp brand linux is.... he didn,t even know linux is an os.
I'm afraid that is a problem caused by Linux. It doesn't do enough with [balanced; overshoots are
even more harmfull] PR.
My computer-dealer thought a lot of things one does with Linux have to be done via the commandline.
"I don't now the language Linux, so...." he said once... I have told him of the latest developments... :lol:
Ralf1e

Post by Ralf1e »

grey1960envoy wrote:
Tony.B wrote:
tdockery97 wrote:Read, read, and read more.
daveinuk wrote:be prepared to learn and make mistakes
proxima_centauri wrote:Hang around the forums
LongRider wrote:There is plenty of info already out there
grey1960envoy wrote:above all else HAVE FUN with it!
... and then try to wipe the silly smile off your face when you realise you understand things that the "experts" at your local computer shop haven't even heard of.

Welcome to Linux Mint.
All I can say is YUP YUP YUP I love messing with some of these guys in the computer shops here (although in Staples they do have people that use Linux)
E Buyer's server is powered by Linux or it was when I bought the parts to build this :D
rijnsma

Post by rijnsma »

First learn how to make a backup. [Clone(zilla) or something like it. Or Remastersys.]
Then you can experiment unlimited. And then you are going to experiment and learn.
No danger I mean.
Senajit

Post by Senajit »

Welcome to all the new members on this forum...
I just want to advice to the new members that don't comment any post without verification and don't provide fake information without any reality.
chefcale

Post by chefcale »

If you are tired of Windows and are considering making the jump to LInux do what I did, test run different versions from a USB stick, MInt 11 , Unbnutu 11.04 , Fedora 15 or older versions of any, this will get you used to how they work and how they fit with you. Mint 11 was the perfect fit for me. The process of the USB boot up is a very good exercise, if you can do that successfully then you are on your way! Enjoy !! :D
Robin

Post by Robin »

Well I just reached my two-year anniversary as a Linux user. I wrote a li'l article for non-geeky, technically challenged new users that I hope someone will find helpful:

Clicky here: Lessons Learned

-Robin
rijnsma

Post by rijnsma »

Great advice Robin!
Don't get stuck to one desktop KDE, Gnome or whatever..
I have used KDE 3.5 for 4 years, KDE 4.xx, Gnome/KDE for some years, but Xfce (after some addaption)
is also very usable. Or Lxde with KDE/Gnome which is rather complete these days (also with some learning).
Or maybe Fluxbox or Openbox.

Certainly try more then one OS-brand. One has Lxde/Openbox wattOS for instance, but Lubuntu or Mint Lxde
do the job too. Etc.

If you make clones (for instance with Clonezilla) it is you have a system back in 3 minutes or so.

This freedom can cost and save a lot of time, but in the end it pays off no matter how.
And one learns a lot! :wink:
odo5435

Post by odo5435 »

Robin wrote:I wrote a li'l article for non-geeky, technically challenged new users that I hope someone will find helpful:
Another great article @Robin, and congratulations on your anniversary.
ThistleWeb

Post by ThistleWeb »

I don't know if this has been mentioned or not, but if you're asking for help in a forum please make the thread title somewhat descriptive and relevant to the issue. I'm almost at the point of not even reading threads titled "help", let alone wasting the time to reply. Help with what? cleaning the hamsters cage? reformatting the iPod? taking over the world armed with a banana peel and a rubber band? Sarcasm aside, how practical would a forum be if everyone had a similar titled thread? Page after page after page of "help".

The "help" title is just one example of an idea. If the title is generic and non-descriptive, you may find more and more people just ignore it, so you don't get an answer.
Robin

Post by Robin »

Keep Notes on any changes you make and what results from the changes! That way when (if) something goes awry you can point to more precisely to a cause. My own notes have saved me alot of trouble. I keep a little "Linux journal," and use it to remind myself of why I did this-or-that, what happened when I tried it, whether or not I was pleased with the results, etc. My "Linux journal" has been quite useful, even very recently while I was playing with SalixOS.

Oh, and don't necessarily keep your journal on the computer, lol. Print out new pages and put them in a notebook. Especially if you only have one computer. :lol:

Always learning,
Robin
wyrdoak

Post by wyrdoak »

Robin wrote:Keep Notes on any changes you make and what results from the changes! That way when (if) something goes awry you can point to more precisely to a cause. My own notes have saved me alot of trouble. I keep a little "Linux journal," and use it to remind myself of why I did this-or-that, what happened when I tried it, whether or not I was pleased with the results, etc. My "Linux journal" has been quite useful, even very recently while I was playing with SalixOS.

Oh, and don't necessarily keep your journal on the computer, lol. Print out new pages and put them in a notebook. Especially if you only have one computer. :lol:

Always learning,
Robin
I use TomBoy Notes and back them up to an external harddrive so I can access them from both Win7 and LMDE and also if can't find the hard copy in my file cabinet.
Elisa

Post by Elisa »

I use just Kate and you can back up it wherever on a computer and if needed with TeamViewer or similar app you can access it then from that computer remotely :wink:
Elisa

Post by Elisa »

I've found a page where are some free to use/download .pdf books very closed to Linux issues, just check it out 8)

http://www.linuxlinks.com/article/20090 ... Part1.html

+
http://tldp.org/guides.html
[downloadable tutorials]
vrkalak

Post by vrkalak »

A few Simple Rules - that I follow

As Robin said - Keep Notes
Of almost everything, especially any changes you make to anything.
I also, keep a Sticky-Notes list of frequently used CLI and IRC commands.

Back-up everything. Not just the important files you want to 'save' but also, any config files and /.hidden files

Read everything about Linux, the OS-distro and which Desktop Environment and Window Manager you use.
There is a Help/Support Forum to every Linux OS-distro out there. As well as, every particular App/Program you use, has a Help-Forum.
Visit them ... join, ask questions. You don't have to join to read the forums.

In your spare time, if you have the space - create a small partition and put whichever distro you want to play with on it.
And 'play with it' ... tweak it to death. Best way to learn how to fix something - is learn how to break it.

Otherwise ... enjoy your Linux OS-distro. :P
Nevart

Post by Nevart »

Clean underwear - it's a deal breaker.

Other than that, you should partition HD for efficiency when you install. At the minimum, create a separate partition for /home so that you can reinstall without losing your documents

I think also creating a separate partition for /usr is a good idea too. You need at least 10GB for it, and more is better.

Some people have said that creating a separate 100MB partition for /boot helps to improve efficiency at boot time. I don't know if it is true or not.
tlcmd

Post by tlcmd »

As a "long-term" noobie myself, you will not find a nicer and more understanding group of people who can help you out than on this forum. I started with Helena and now am trying to learn Linux Mint Debian. And I'm sure some of these guys on the forum have pulled hair out at how dumb my questions are. But they're still nice about it and provide help and assistance. So hang in there and gofor it. Being a noobie, i can tell yu lots of ways to screw up.
tlcmd

Return to “Beginner Questions”