What are your top tips for a Newbie?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Re: What are your top tips for a Newbie?

Post by Pjotr »

InkKnife wrote:usr/bin is the Linux equivalent of the Windows Program folder.
There are two: /usr/bin and /usr/sbin. :)
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
Jsch38
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Jsch38 »

I am also a new user to Linux. I use mint all the time.
So here are some new user tips:
1. When installing don't panic, on some older machines mint can be a slow install.
2. When you the main screen it will have a Windows look and feel to it with icons for different programs.
3. Try out the different programs in Mint.
4. If you have ANY questions ask here on the forums. There many experienced users who will be glad to help you.
DaveMarshall

Post by DaveMarshall »

Really good list of detailed tips here, Thanks for the good read guys, taken a lot of inspiration from this. 8)
kazmania

Post by kazmania »

hi
what is the best linux mint version for windows 7.
i tried maya.but it didnt work.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

kazmania wrote:what is the best linux mint version for windows 7.
There is no answer to this question, because the best Linux Mint release which will work for you does not depend in any way on the Windows edition with which you dual boot.

I have been been dual booting Linux Mint 13 Maya and Window 7 for the past 4 years now, without any hassle. This works, because Linux Mint 13 supports the hardware on which I run Linux Mint 13 and Windows 7.

So the answer to your question will be:
The best Linux Mint release for you will be the Linux Mint release which supports your hardware properly.
You can find out which Linux Mint release this is by trying out different Linux Mint live systems.

By the way, as Linux Mint 13 will stop being support in May 2017, I think starting with Mint 13 now is not really worth the time.
I would suggest giving Linux Mint 17.3 a try instead. Or maybe even Linux Mint 18.
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 792 days now.
Lifeline
jtarin

Post by jtarin »

My best tip for starting with Linux is......insert the distro CD, DVD or thumbdrive and hang on for the ride. Until you get used to it I would recommend having access to another computer with internet connection to solve any problems you might encounter. Google is your friend. You have to break it to learn how to fix it. Install...install....install....till you can do it in your sleep. :lol:
veal1234

Post by veal1234 »

Great tips!
Goz
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Goz »

That's what I did..I ran Linspire live for three days and fell in love. I then asked myself why I still had Windows on
my computer..So I hit the install button and that was that.
I really don't remember much of a learning curve,except figuring out what I wanted,and how to get it.
Once I understood that one distro was pretty much the same as any other distro,it was easy to move
on when Linspire got all snugly with Microsoft. The rest,as they say,is history.
Think of Windows 10 as Hotel California for computers.
astridfeline

Post by astridfeline »

Goz wrote:Think of Windows 10 as Hotel California for computers.
Yep, I had to get a new hard drive since Windows 10 wouldn't let me get into the UEFI to change the boot sequence. :twisted:

I installed Linux Mint 18 and was up & running in less than an hour. I love it already.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

astridfeline wrote:I installed Linux Mint 18 and was up & running in less than an hour. I love it already.
Good for you, and welcome to the other side! :D

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Anaemic

Post by Anaemic »

I have been using Linux Mint for 2 weeks. Previously I dual booted with Windows 7.
My advice from a newbie:
1/ Only get your programs from the Software Manager or Synaptic Package Manager.
2/ Be careful about what information you use from the internet or forums.
Alot of it is just rubbish and sometimes the solution is right under your nose.
stevemw
Level 1
Level 1

Post by stevemw »

Having been a Linux Mint user for only a short time (my first proper Linux adventure), I would simply say to keep trying when things don't work.

I've spent the last month or so trying unsuccessfully to get a connection to my work VPN. All the online posts I had tried were either too complicated, geared towards techies, or simply didn't work (possibly because they apply to older software)

Yesterday I found a simple newbie worded solution that worked a treat straight away. Now all I have to do is figure out how to connect to a windows machine that sits on the vpn network over remote desktop and I'll be able to work from home :)
Thanks

Steve
DaveMarshall

Post by DaveMarshall »

I think after looking through some of your suggestions, it's good to have easily readable solutions especially for the first time users like myself who are just getting to grips with Linux Mint. My only advice so far is to go with the approach that nothing is un-workable there is always a work around and like others are doing simply setting up a virtual or remote desktop can suffice while you try work out all the other kinks in the programmes you are trying to get working.

When I started the main focus was to try out gaming on Linux, and see what kind's of performance I could get out of a mid range machine on some of the titles I'm use to playing, but have since worked up to pushing most my daily tasks across the linux even if some of the features are not solely available on the platform. Just got keeping working at it!
Anaemic

Post by Anaemic »

Hi Steve,

There are good people and tips here on Linux Mint Forums.
Be extra careful when using random internet sites.

Keep it simple... and think about what tip or solution you use to solve
your problem.
WhiskyManII

Post by WhiskyManII »

Any advice?

It's this. Don't get frustrated and give up when you experience a problem. Sometime it's a little tricky setting up your computer for the first time. If you have problems then get online and ask for help. The people in the LM community are pretty good about helping. Just hang in there. LM is well worth the trouble. I promise you. It's a beautiful thing to be free. Don't pass up the opportunity.

So enjoy!
Anaemic

Post by Anaemic »

One of the first things I would recommend is uninstalling Abode Flash player.
It is a security risk.
YouTube and alot of other websites are now using HTML5.

Read about Linux and their philosophy, including books.
Universities usually have good books on Linux and GNU/Linux.
If you are not a student of a University you can still just read them in their library.
Last edited by Anaemic on Sat Aug 20, 2016 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Namaste

Post by Namaste »

If you are dropping Windows for Linux, before you switch,
...make SURE your bios drivers are all up to date. The BIOS driver updates for old windows machines
are .EXE files, which only work in Windows. You may have trouble finding a Linux driver for a BIOS that is Windows based.

:)
dl9220
Level 3
Level 3

Post by dl9220 »

SEARCH

Asking something involves you to formulate your question.

Now, take that question and re'read it (before posting !!!!!)....

Check for keywords, dissect your question, leave out any non'relevant word...

Take thes keywords to DuckDuck or Google or any preffered search provider...( you might add 'linux' or 'mint' )

Admire the zillions of replies.
Mint Vera Xfce XanMod 6.1.2
AntonyMagnus81
Level 1
Level 1

Post by AntonyMagnus81 »

As has been stated here many times Google is your friend. I am still new myself as my nephew had this Linux Mint installed beforehand on his system. I came from Vista/XP/98/95/ME/3.1 Windows , Apple in its infancy, Commodore, Amiga, TRS 80, and I can tell you by far the Mint system is the best. Having said that I keep my Vista around for running games and the occasional Windows app but will stop supporting Microsoft as of the official EOL support date for Vista. Don't think I will ever purchase M$ again! Also I have found this forum and the Ubuntu forums invaluable for help with regards to questions. Good luck and welcome to Mint!
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

With Linux MInt, and thanks to this forum, I was up and running in a short time, thanks to the WiFi fix. Mint 18 is good enough that I could give it to my tech shy wife, and I think she would just go to town. The only issue she might have is no iTunes for her to sync her iPhone/iPod to, but other than that, I am really impressed with this O/S so far. I am tending to take my laptop with me, and leave the windows machines at home. I can do everything I want on this MInt install.

Some software intimidates me like Emacs and VIM, which I am not sure what they are used for at this point in my LInux learning curve, but I am sure they are important somehow. I could give this system to my 84 year old aunt,and she could use it with ease!

Return to “Beginner Questions”