What are your top tips for a Newbie?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mnmlisme
Level 1
Level 1

Re: What are your top tips for a Newbie?

Post by mnmlisme »

I tried Mint on a spare desktop of mine awhile ago. Didn't end too well ~ sleep and wake up problem, crash regularly. can't remember exactly what was my desktop specification, but that was a turn off.

yet I'm still curious. if people can use it for years and claim linux stability, so many people can't be wrong, can't they? since then I've tried openmediavault on raspi2 (works wonder til now but permissions, file managing etc still confusing to me) and a debian on pine64 (NOT so great board might I add, very limited support), but linux is still revolving around me.

so I decided to take another jump at mint, purchased an old Thinkpad X220 as a dedicated machine to learn the ropes without worrying about data loss. Just to mess around and really learn mint inside out. hopefully it will stick for good this time, and looking forward to implement it as my daily OS.
inradius

Post by inradius »

Hi. Welcome to LM

Here are the basics involved in installing Linux Mint, configuration, and operation. The list isn't extensive as there is likely not enough space on the forum to include it all but this will get you up and running and enjoying LM. We have sat with clients and installed LM on their machines. They find this pleasing and gain confidence by the minute. No kidding, ages ranging from 11 years old to our latest client aged 82! Yes, you read that right, 82 year old client who picked it up so fast he was actually changing themes in minutes. We do this for free, no charge to the client.

- The number 1 thing to is find out if your machine's hardware is compatible with a Linux install. That usually means if you have a hybrid video GPU then expect big headaches. Most NIC hardware is proprietary, does not support Linux but there are some workarounds. Also some SSD devices also experience trouble but not all. Ubuntu website offers many pages of lists of compatible machines, as well as perform a search to see if others have had hardware issues. (this is no fault of LM, blame the vendors) This step is important, don't skip it.

- Once you've decided on the installation medium (USB or DVD) boot your machine into the 'Live' mode where you can perform different tests to see what works, what doesn't. for example: attempt to connect your wifi, navigate thru the menu opening up various programs. Live mode doesn't effect the running OS and any changes made in live mode won't be saved.

- If you're happy with what you see, it's time to install LM. Of course you have connected your machine via LAN cable (wifi will not work) to your router. Click the desktop 'Install LM' icon and follow the prompts. I do not recommend any partitioning at this point due to it's complexity for new users. I do not recommend any dual booting configurations due to the fact it's unreliable (arguably) and it's likely a Win OS you are about to erase so RIP Windows.

- So you've installed LM, everything is working fine, now you need to update the LM OS using update manager. This is very important, do not skip this step. Click the update manager (lower right corner of the panel) and click update, once it's finished, reboot your machine. Simply follow and trust the prompts LM advises and there will be no problems. Over thinking some prompts or using LM like a Win OS will lead to frustration. LM is not Windows, thankfully so.

- On the desktop there will be a prompt that includes a user guide and driver manager, etc. You can check the drivers that LM is using and select the 'recommended' driver for the hardware in question. If it prompts you that your machine is not using any proprietary drivers then I salute you for being proprietary driver free, it's a freedom seldom celebrated unfortunately.

- Click the network manager icon on the panel and set up your wifi. At this point you are likely excited and happy to be using the most beautiful desktop (Sarah/Cinnamon) that you've ever seen. Try not to be too distracted by the beauty of it as now is the time to explore. Go into settings by opening menu, find the gear icon on the left side, click on it and here you can change themes, check sound settings, display, modify the way windows act, etc. It's important to navigate to the firewall icon and set up the firewall which is very easy that's why it's called uncomplicated firewall :)
Remember to donate to LM if you can afford it. Let's keep this great OS moving forward.

A big high five and fist bump if you read this ridiculously long post :)

Enjoy your LM experience!

***Don't worry about using the terminal. While terminal is important in certain situations it is in no way mandatory to learn it or use it. We have LM users with over 5 years experience that have never used terminal. That's what makes LM so great, it runs flawlessly out of the box***
You can install proprietary multi-media codecs either during the initial install or via the menu. I cannot condone using these codecs that's why I failed to mention them. Proprietary codecs cost money and some require royalty payments. Yes, this is the world we live in.
dynamikspeed

Post by dynamikspeed »

Is a newbie really going to read 645 posts in this thread? I switched off after reading a few pages and didn't really find any tips but only some dead links.
I have opened a discussion about this thread here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=245526
BeHarley

Post by BeHarley »

dynamikspeed wrote:Is a newbie really going to read 645 posts in this thread? I switched off after reading a few pages and didn't really find any tips but only some dead links.

What do you want to know? Reading won't help much. I understand, its time consuming. You'd sit here in the morning till night and trust me you wouldn't be able to complete half of the readings.
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

dynamikspeed wrote:Is a newbie really going to read 645 posts in this thread? I switched off after reading a few pages and didn't really find any tips but only some dead links.
Depends on how dedicated the newbie is. I read them all.
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....
Jim Hauser

Post by Jim Hauser »

Spearmint2 wrote:
Depends on how dedicated the newbie is. I read them all.
I try to read every post every day. Sure there a lot of them that do not apply to my equipment and/or setup but that is beside the point. I do not have any SSDs right now but I do have a good idea what to look for. Same with wireless setups.

This year I managed to set up two striped LVMs on four drives with a triple boot and XP and Mint 18.2 beta in Virtual Box.. Three years ago I knew nothing about LVM or Virtual Box (or Linux Mint for that matter.) I am not a computer wiz or genius but I do know how to read. Almost all that I have learned about Linux Mint has come from this forum. I will continue doing this into the future.

Sure I am still a noob in a lot of ways but I have not had any significant problems in three years.

Beer for the moderators!

Cheers...

Jim
Kseanfitz_1
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Kseanfitz_1 »

Words of encouragement
The first thing I would like to impress to someone who has been a Microsoft or Apple user is to give Linux, in general, and especially Linux Mint (IMHO) a real try!
At one point in everyone's life they knew nothing about a computer or any operating system, but for whatever reason they put in the time, effort, and patience enough to know what they know now about the OS they are using!

Coming from "windows" or Apple you will not need to put as much into "learning" or better said, adapting to something that looks and works a little different than what you have become accustomed to!
With Apple you will always be a slave to HIGH COST Apple proprietary hardware. With Apple no longer being open source and Steve Jobs gone RIP their OS has been going down hill because their Priority is getting rich selling Hardware things.
With MS it has always been about getting rich constantly selling you "windows". The future path of :evil: Microsoft "windows" :twisted: will, I have no doubt, make most people very sorry they are still stuck on Microsoft in a few different ways.
Either way They will be owning YOU for a cost and "YOUR" paid for hardware.

With Linux you "own" your FREE, to you to use, software and you will keep control of YOUR paid for hardware!
Almost every software and application in Linux is YOUR CHOICE to have and use or not, is not full of malware, spyware, bloatware etc.etc..
Linux is far more customizable and personalize-able than any other OS. You can even chose to have it look and feel like one or more other OS's almost as easily as a mouse click any time you please.
I could go on and on but I think you get the idea by now... :D

NOW is as good a time as ever to take the chance to get on board with an "operating system" that will, as time goes by, be clearly the best choice because it will run on MORE HARDWARE now and in the future than the others and it is FREE to YOU to use NOW and in the future!
Linux is always getting better and better and I believe it always will!

Signed:
A decades old user and beta tester of other OS's and new to Linux as of 2020 as my new daily driver.
Now that I am over that first LITTLE learning hump I am darn glad I did!

"And, _ that's _ all _ I've _ got _ to _ say _ about _ that!" (for now!) 8)
Welcome to the Linux Mint forums!
"One, is glad to be of service."

Return to “Beginner Questions”