Do I REALLY need to update?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
demag
Level 1
Level 1

Do I REALLY need to update?

Post by demag »

Time and again I install a distro and for a while (weeks, months) it runs absolutely great. I do everything that is required to keep it up to date and as sure as night follows day some recommended update will be downloaded and the system, or part of it, will screw up! :(

If I download and install my system and it is running perfectly, can't I just leave it like that? Pleeease? :D

Thanks.
Dave.
Aging Technogeek
Level 13
Level 13

Re: Do I REALLY need to update?

Post by Aging Technogeek »

If you do not want or need an update, you do not have to install it. Linux, after all, is about choice and control of your system.
Registered Linux User 483387
JonM33

Post by JonM33 »

demag wrote:Time and again I install a distro and for a while (weeks, months) it runs absolutely great. I do everything that is required to keep it up to date and as sure as night follows day some recommended update will be downloaded and the system, or part of it, will screw up! :(

If I download and install my system and it is running perfectly, can't I just leave it like that? Pleeease? :D

Thanks.
I really haven't seen any Linux update screw up anything. There are certain levels of updates in severity as well.
RJ12
Level 1
Level 1

Post by RJ12 »

The cool thing about the Mint Updater is that it will rate the updates from 1 to 5, but it will only show the ones that are rated from 1 to 3 (unless you change it). Eventually the 4 and 5 updates will be moved to 1 to 3 as they become more stable. So you only get the safest updates :)

I used to be afraid of Updates, but I easily got over that fear with the Linux Mint Updater! :o

Edit: To answer the question, yes you can leave the system un-updated, I think that is unrecommended though.
unexistance
Level 5
Level 5

Post by unexistance »

Hi,

Major points to upgrade:

- Security fix
- Enhancement / Feature add

If you don't need these, then no need to update.

Regards,
:: Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved ::
vincent
Level 8
Level 8

Post by vincent »

The only things that you really need to upgrade are packages afflicted with security issues...details can be found here:
http://www.ubuntu.com/usn
Debian Testing x64/LM9 Main x64/Windows 7 x64 - LG R580 laptop w/ Intel Core 2 Duo T6500 2.1 GHz, 4 GB DDR2 RAM, Nvidia Geforce G 105M, Ralink rt2860 802.11n, 300 GB WD HD 5400 rpm

Return to “Newbie Questions”