Wired/wireless issues HP Mini 110

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
texastrey1836

Wired/wireless issues HP Mini 110

Post by texastrey1836 »

Hey all:
I'm stuck in a catch-22. I've trawled the internet to find out how to connect to the internet (Linux Mint 10) with my HP Mini 110. All the results have said to connect via ethernet to download the drivers for the wireless. The problem? I need the ethernet driver too. I've gone here:
http://www.broadcom.com/support/802.11/linux_sta.php
to download the driver but I can't figure out for the life of me how to install it...I keep trying to tell myself this is Linux and it's different from Windows, so I don't know how to install the driver.
HELP! This has been a couple of months (both Ubuntu and Mint 10) trying to get this to work. I'm on a dual boot system with Linux Mint 10 and Windows 7. I seriously want to get rid of Windows but I can't.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
TBABill
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Wired/wireless issues HP Mini 110

Post by TBABill »

I haven't tried it, but you can add a CD ROM to your software sources in the Mint menu....go to Administration, then Software Sources. Then add it. But first you need to download the driver in Windows and unzip it, then copy all the files to the CD.

Are you able to do that much via the equipment you have?
texastrey1836

Post by texastrey1836 »

I do have those resources. I am going to try to work that tonight. Will post later/tomorrow if it's successful. Thanks for the lead.
Trey
texastrey1836

Post by texastrey1836 »

OK, I'm glad I posted this under Newbie Questions. Where is "Administration"? I looked and did a search and found no such area. I'm running Linux Mint 10. Oh, and I'm using a flash drive to move the file over from Windows to Mint.
TBABill
Level 6
Level 6

Post by TBABill »

Click the Menu button in the lower left corner. In the center of the menu that pops up is the word administration. To the right of that is a list....select Software Sources.
texastrey1836

Post by texastrey1836 »

I found Administration and tried to add the driver to the list from the CD but there was no joy. It wasn't even recognizing the files that I put up there, which I downloaded from the website above and extracted. I tried both a thumb drive and a CD.
I'm seriously flummoxed. I've been cracking at this for two months now and I don't know where to turn. Both Ubuntu and Mint are having the same problem and it's this netbook's issues with drivers. But I have nothing through either ethernet or wireless.
I *might* have to go back to Windows full-time. UGH.
Trey
TBABill
Level 6
Level 6

Post by TBABill »

I'm about out of ideas for your situation without being able to manipulate the machine myself. I do know, however, that PCLinuxOS, a completely different Linux distro, comes with the Broadcom drivers installed right out of the box. It's the only distro where my wireless just works without having to install the driver after installation. Perhaps you could run it as your main system and put Mint on a separate partition so you can continue troubleshooting the issue, but you'll have the other until you get it resolved? Just a suggestion, but it is quite different than Mint or Ubuntu in that it is RPM based, not DEB (doesn't amount to a hill of beans for me but others will hotly debate that). It is similar in that it uses Synaptic and apt, but requires almost zero terminal usage.

If that helps at least you don't have to consider windows :)
texastrey1836

Post by texastrey1836 »

I appreciate all the help and I'll look into it.
Trey
silver
Level 2
Level 2

Post by silver »

Once you have the drivers downloaded in windows, move them over to your flash drive.

Reboot into linux mint.
Open up your home folder and create a new folder called "hybrid_wl"
Now copy the downloaded file from your flash drive into this new folder.
Now if you right click on the archive in this new folder you can extract the contents.
Once the contents are extracted you will need to make them. :)
You should now have a new folder inside of the new folder you created that should be called "hybrid-portsrc_x86-32_v5.60.246.6" or some such thing.
double click on this folder to open it.
Their is a readme.txt file that will tell you everything you need to know, and can walk you through these same steps.
Now right click on menu item file and click on open in terminal.

Now you need to make.
at the command prompt type in "sudo make"
Now open the readme.txt file and scroll down to the part that says, fresh install.
And you should be able to take it from there.

Hope all goes well for you.
I too am running a HP Mini 110. It's great with Mint 10.
Everything works for me so far. Including the broadband modem. (which I am using right now to send this post. :)

What ever you do just don't panic.
Take it easy and it will all work for you.
Have fun
Ronnie
silver
Level 2
Level 2

Post by silver »

Sorry I didn't say which drivers.
My post above was for the wireless drivers from broadcom.

Have fun
Ronnie
texastrey1836

Post by texastrey1836 »

OOH! Thanks. I appreciate the detailed info. I was using the Broadcom drivers anyway, so at least I wasn't off on that. I'm going to hack at this tonight. Thanks for all the info. I'll post an update later!
Trey
texastrey1836

Post by texastrey1836 »

silver wrote:Once you have the drivers downloaded in windows, move them over to your flash drive.

Reboot into linux mint.
Open up your home folder and create a new folder called "hybrid_wl"
Now copy the downloaded file from your flash drive into this new folder.
Now if you right click on the archive in this new folder you can extract the contents.
Once the contents are extracted you will need to make them. :)
You should now have a new folder inside of the new folder you created that should be called "hybrid-portsrc_x86-32_v5.60.246.6" or some such thing.
double click on this folder to open it.
Their is a readme.txt file that will tell you everything you need to know, and can walk you through these same steps.
Now right click on menu item file and click on open in terminal.

Now you need to make.
at the command prompt type in "sudo make"
Now open the readme.txt file and scroll down to the part that says, fresh install.
And you should be able to take it from there.

Hope all goes well for you.
I too am running a HP Mini 110. It's great with Mint 10.
Everything works for me so far. Including the broadband modem. (which I am using right now to send this post. :)

What ever you do just don't panic.
Take it easy and it will all work for you.
Have fun
Ronnie
OK, here's where I'm at (besides incredibly frustrated.)
I moved the file over to Mint and put it in the folder. I then extracted it. I then "tried" to open the terminal under the makefile. (The instructions said menu item file--I couldn't find anything named that so I assumed "makefile".) I could NOT open the terminal under makefile. When I did open the terminal it said there was no target or something like that.
(Obviously I can't cut and paste what was said as I'm switching over every time between Mint and Windows to reach the internet.)
I then proceeded to try to follow the directions in the readme. No dice. Nothing worked, and "sudo make" didn't do anything either. I went under the direction for fresh install that didn't work.
I'm feeling incredibly helpless. As an addendum, I tried to install PC Linux and that didn't work either. Something about a GFX code...and it just hung up. Help?!
Trey
silver
Level 2
Level 2

Post by silver »

Trey

The first thing about computers is to not loose your head. :)
Some times they can seem frustrating, I find that if I sit back and enjoy a coffee or other beverage of choice, and just think about what I am doing and what I am not doing, I'll usually figure it out.

First open the folder where you extracted the drivers. You should be seeing two files and two folders.
The two files are, Makefile and Readme.txt. The two folders are lib, and scr.
Now in the white area around these four items right click on your mouse or track pad.
A menu should show up, about four items down is an option to open to terminal.
Click on it.
Now you should have a terminal prompt.
At the prompt type make.
You will see that something happens. :)
Now open the Readme.txt file and scroll down to the area that says fresh install and continue.

Remember just have fun.
You are learning valuable lessons that will serve you in the future.
Ronnie
texastrey1836

Post by texastrey1836 »

Thanks Silver. I will continue to hack at this and see where I go. I will post results soon.
texastrey1836

Post by texastrey1836 »

Alright. Here's where I'm at now. I was able to go into hybrid_wl and run the make command from the terminal. That seemed to work well. When I opened the text file, though, to delete whatever drivers where there for b43 and install what I had moved over, it kept telling me something along the lines of "permission denied." (I don't remember the exact verbage; I'm recalling from memory.) Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong now? Thanks, again, for the help.
texastrey1836

Post by texastrey1836 »

Well, I think I've hit a dead end. I've followed the text file's instructions to the T and have tried them in various terminal locations to no avail. Now I'm at the point of needing to wipe my hard drive again to do a fresh install of Windows so that I can have full access to my HD. I only have about half available to me as the Mint side is unreadable by the Windows side.
Does anyone know what a GFX code is? When I've tried to install other versions of Windows I get that a GFX code is installing and it hangs up. I'm just tired of fighting the same fight and nothing coming of it. This isn't frustration, this is me waiting on Linux until it "works." I'm just not savvy enough to work on it. Thanks, again, to everyone who helped.

Return to “Beginner Questions”