Slow boot after enabling the nVIDIA Hardware video drivers

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
eric_son

Slow boot after enabling the nVIDIA Hardware video drivers

Post by eric_son »

Sorry if this has already been discussed before, I tried searching the forums but could not find the info I was looking for. :oops:

Anyway, I noticed that after enabling the proprietary nVIDIA drivers, the my boot time has slowed down significantly. Before enabling those drivers, I'd be at the desktop in 30 seconds, now it 1-2 minutes before the desktop appears.
Once it boots up, it runs perfectly.

I noticed this starting with Mint 9, and it still happens in Mint 10.

It's not a big issue actually, just a minor annoyance.

Are there any other nVidia users experiencing the same thing? If not, any ideas on what could be causing the slowdowns?

My card is a GTX260.

Eric
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
vincent

Re: Slow boot after enabling the nVIDIA Hardware video drive

Post by vincent »

Compiz loads a lot slower than the default Metacity window manager...assuming you've enabled Compiz after installing Nvidia's proprietary driver, that's probably the culprit here.
eric_son

Re: Slow boot after enabling the nVIDIA Hardware video drive

Post by eric_son »

That sounds reasonable enough.

I think I can live with a minor slowdown, but I can't live without my Compiz eye candy. :)

Thanks!

Return to “Beginner Questions”