Backing up settings and software

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Paper Bag
Level 1
Level 1

Backing up settings and software

Post by Paper Bag » Sat Jan 01, 2011 1:40 pm

I'm going to do a fresh install (10 Main) on a completely new hardware and I want to retain all the current programs and the user specific settings.

What else should I backup besides /home and "the software selection" (in mintBackup)?
^ i.e. what other paths programs usually use to save settings?
Looks like "Backup software selection" in mintBackup only creates a list of installed programs, how can I backup the actual program files and is that a smart thing to do vs. just re-downloading the packages?
^ How this feature in mintBackup differs from Synaptic's "Save markings as"?
How can I copy users & groups settings or is it more newbie-proof to just re-configure them (there's not a lot to configure, tbh) before I restore any files on the new installation?
What file stores the Gnome panel settings?

sgosnell
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Backing up settings and software

Post by sgosnell » Sat Jan 01, 2011 3:58 pm

Just back up /home, or if you set up /home on a separate partition, you don't even need to do that. The installation won't touch it, but if it's not a separate partition, back it up. MintBackup will save the list of installed software, and you want to make sure that file goes onto a drive that won't be touched, because you don't want to lose it. With /home and your software selection saved, just do the fresh install, copy your saved /home to the new /home, then run MintBackup and have it install the packages from the software selection. You don't need to save the actual packages, unless you have no internet access. It's quicker and easier, and more effective, to just do a new install of the packages. Your panel settings are saved in /home, so they should be restored.

I suggest putting /home on a separate partition when you do the fresh install. You may have to create the partition, but it's not hard. Having /home on a separate partition means you don't have to back it up when you do a fresh install, it's not touched. You do want to back it up regularly, though, no matter how you configure it.
Asus eee-pc 900 w/ 32GB SSD.

Return to “Newbie Questions”