[SOLVED] Where to install "manually installed" programs?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
phishsauce
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] Where to install "manually installed" programs?

Post by phishsauce »

Hi,

I have a fairly simple question that I cannot seem to find an answer to anywhere.

If I install a program manually (specific case example: https://open-language-tools.dev.java.ne ... folderID=0), where is the best place to extract the program files?

When I ran the jar file, it launched a little installer wizard, and it gave me the default "install/extraction" of /home/username/open-language-tools-version. I accepted that as I was trying to do something with the program.. but I was just wondering where these types of things should go.. /usr/bin seems to contain all kinds of executables and programs.. is that a good place to put stuff like this?

Thanks
Last edited by phishsauce on Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

magnusk
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Where to install "manually installed" programs?

Post by magnusk »

If you install as a user the program will (must) be installed in your home directory. If you install as root you can choose were to install. /opt is widley used for installing programs that come from "outside". I.e Firefox in LMDE is installed in /opt.
LM, Ubuntu, Debian

StanTheMan
Level 5
Level 5

Post by StanTheMan »

I presume that if an application is installed in the /home/user directory , that it would only be available to that one user.
An applicaion installed in /usr or /opt (fies owned by Root), would be available to any User.

Teucca
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Teucca »

Right click the downloaded uni.jar file, features, tab rights, and select allow the file to the performance program.
next Right click the downloaded uni.jar and open application Sun java 6 Runtime
clik next
clik next
Kuvakaappaus-IzPack - Installation of Open Language Tools XLIFF Translation Editor.png (21.1 KiB) Viewed 638 times
Then continue. after install go to /?????(home)/Open language tools/XLIFF Translation Editor/1.3.1 and click translation.sh and next Run
And its running!
And its running!
Kuvakaappaus-Open Language Tools XLIFF Translation Editor, v1.3.1.png (25.6 KiB) Viewed 638 times
Teucca
Edit
And to do a shortcut to desktop
select translation.sh
select translation.sh
Kuvakaappaus-Valitse sovellus….png (68.96 KiB) Viewed 634 times
Linux Mint Suomi guide
MINT is an easy, logical, adaptable, inspiring, user-friendly operating system.
The changes are new opportunities
Help Site Instructions

phishsauce
Level 1
Level 1

Post by phishsauce »

So in conclusion, I can assert that it is a common practice to install programs (depending on user access requirements) to install a program in the home directory.. perhaps somewhere like /home/alex/applications or something.

Thanks guys.

unexistance
Level 5
Level 5

Post by unexistance »

Hi,

It should be something like /home/alex/bin/<your apps>

Regards,
:: Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved ::

phishsauce
Level 1
Level 1

Post by phishsauce »

Ok, thanks very much.

Return to “Newbie Questions”