Right click annoyance

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Will2Kill

Right click annoyance

Post by Will2Kill »

Something has been bugging me ever since I installed Mint.
When I right click something it's very, very, common to misinterpret it and do the first choice in the right click menu.
For example in the desktop I may right click and create a new folder without even seeing the menu, or right clicking a video file to chose a particular player but immediately it opens with the default player.
The safest route is using the context button in the keyboard but it's terribly inconvenient.

Can you think of a way to remedy this?
Maybe putting a time limit between the first and second click?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
jungle_boy
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Right click annoyance

Post by jungle_boy »

Did you try another mouse?
Samsung Odyssey, Octa-core, i5 9300H, Geforce GTX 1650, 16GB RAM, SSD SAMSUNG NVMe 500GB
LM 21 Cinnamon
Will2Kill

Post by Will2Kill »

No I haven't tried one but I don't have another.
You think it may be hardware related?

In windows there is no such problem so maybe the kernel for my mouse has a problem? From what I gather its the kernel that makes all hardware usable in linux but I may be wrong.

Just in case it helps. it's a Microsoft IntelliMouse Optical 5 btn Mouse
Last edited by Will2Kill on Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bobcollard

Post by bobcollard »

Will2Kill wrote:No I haven't tried one but I don't have another.
You think it may be hardware related?

In windows there is no such problem so maybe the kernel for my mouse has a problem? From what I gather its the kernel that makes all hardware usable in linux but I may be wrong.
There should be a setting in mouse behavior that you can change for this.
Will2Kill

Post by Will2Kill »

I tried tweaking the mouse settings, the timeout slider seemed promising but I don't think it changed anything.
However after testing it for a while I think I can be more specific about when this happens.

If you right clicked something and held the right click pressed,sent the cursor to a choice and then let go of the button it initiates that choice. I think the same thing happens here, the cursor manages to highlight a choice before I have the time to let go of the right button. I'm not sure but maybe that's the case.
beefstu

Post by beefstu »

The issue is probably due to Mint using "mouse-up" as a selection. What I mean by this is that if you press the right mouse button and hold it, the menu comes up. If you then move to an option on the menu and release it, it will select it. It means that you can select things in the right-click menu using only one button and obviously the menu opens with the cursor close to the top option. The same is true for most menus (e.g. File, Edit etc with the left-click). I don't know how to change this but I thought I'd share my thoughts!

Return to “Beginner Questions”