(Solved) Dual Processor.

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Dave..
Level 1
Level 1

(Solved) Dual Processor.

Post by Dave.. » Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:32 pm

I am helping my son re-install Mint 10.10 64 into a dual machine. Noticed it's running slow, so checked the system monitor and found just one chip registering.
Question. Is it possible that Linux failed to 'see' the second chip? Or is it more likely we've lost a chip?
Last edited by Dave.. on Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

willie42
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Dual Processor.

Post by willie42 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:57 pm

is it a dual core and a machine with 2 seperate processors?
Comptia A+ Certified Technician
Comptia Network + Certified Technician
You can not have Success without Failures.

Dave..
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Dave.. » Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:48 am

willie42 wrote:is it a dual core and a machine with 2 seperate processors?
Yeah.....?

rivenathos
Level 6
Level 6

Post by rivenathos » Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:03 am

Do you mean dual CPU (with two separate CPUs in different sockets) or a dual-core CPU (two cores on one chip)?

My dual CPU machine shows both CPUs in separate graphs.
Current hardware: a Dell OptiPlex 3010 desktop, a Dell Inspiron 531 desktop, and a Dell Inspiron 1545 laptop.
Current OS: LMDE 3

Dave..
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Dave.. » Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:17 am

rivenathos wrote:My dual CPU machine shows both CPUs in separate graphs.
This is what mine should do. Yesterday it was running so slow in VB I thought I would find out why.
So I fired up System Monitor and only found one chip mentioned. Any clues?

rivenathos
Level 6
Level 6

Post by rivenathos » Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:35 am

Hmmm... Yeah, I guess one of your CPUs could go bad or something. The other one would pick up the slack as best as possible. You said this was in Virtual Box, right? How are the two CPUs working in your regular install? If they are working fine in the regular install, then there is something amiss in Virtual Box. I run all my systems with physical hardware, so someone with experience with virtual will need to step in.
Current hardware: a Dell OptiPlex 3010 desktop, a Dell Inspiron 531 desktop, and a Dell Inspiron 1545 laptop.
Current OS: LMDE 3

nukm
Level 3
Level 3

Post by nukm » Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:24 am

To check the integrity of the processors, you would use the host OS. If both processors are working in the host system, then you might try virtualbox.org for answers.
"Books? Who needs books? They don't taste all that good." The American Connoisseur, circa 2010
"Radiation is good for you.Everyone should eat radiation to be fulfilled. (free translation)...Ann Coulter, circa 2011

Aging Technogeek
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Aging Technogeek » Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:27 am

The default in Virtualbox is to run with only one CPU. If you did not opt for 2 CPUs or the setting somehow got reset to 1, this might explain things.
Registered Linux User 483387

Dave..
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Dave.. » Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:33 am

Aging Technogeek wrote:The default in Virtualbox is to run with only one CPU. If you did not opt for 2 CPUs or the setting somehow got reset to 1, this might explain things.
This might explain why VB runs slow, but surely 'System Monitor' runs in Mint. So therefore it's reading a total system, not just VB?

Dave..
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Dave.. » Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:11 pm

Dave.. wrote:
Aging Technogeek wrote:The default in Virtualbox is to run with only one CPU. If you did not opt for 2 CPUs or the setting somehow got reset to 1, this might explain things.
This might explain why VB runs slow, but surely 'System Monitor' runs in Mint. So therefore it's reading a total system, not just VB?
BUMP

feed3
Level 4
Level 4

Post by feed3 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:55 pm

Dave.. wrote:
It takes quite a while to understand your probs as you give an info piece by piece. i assume it is like this:
A machine with dual core processor installed with mint (KDE i assume) and apparently you think it only detect one of the core.

Never had problem like this but i think it helps if you can check it first from KDE info Center (KInfoCenter) or system profiler and benchmark (hardinfo benchmark) if you are in gnome and see the processor info
1.jpeg
1.jpeg (74.24 KiB) Viewed 746 times
make sure it listing 2 lines of processor info (see pics).

if it doesnt, try reinstall mint on the machine or install another mint version on the same machine (dual booting). if on fresh install also the same, then definitely one of the chip is defect.

Dave..
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Dave.. » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:06 am

I have found the answer. It's all to do with the original hardware being 'Virtualization ready'. Obviously this machine isn't, so we are installing a new quad mother board and starting again.
The quad will give faster rendering of Video and DVD transcoding. Thanks for your help.

Return to “Newbie Questions”