XFCE on LMDE - can't browse installed background "packs"...

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
gosa
Level 4
Level 4

XFCE on LMDE - can't browse installed background "packs"...

Post by gosa » Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:20 pm

Hi all,

I just installed LMDE in virtualbox to try it out before I take the step to a "real" install onto one of my hard drives. I want to make sure that I can get Playonliux to install Office 2007 (works in LM 9) and some other things.

After making all the updates I downloaded and installed xfce and xfce-goodies since I kind of prefer xfce over gnome so far. First thing I realized after logging into the xfce session was that there was no minty-ness to be found, so I downloeded shiki-wise and shiki-mint themes, and changed that. Next step is where I got stuck:

I also downloaded and installed the packs with the old backgrounds - both from helena and isadora - in hunt for the nice and green ones I have in my install of Mint 9 xfce. But the problem is that I cant get them to show up by right-clicking on the desktop and choose "desktop settings". The only thing coming up is the ones that came with the "regular" xfce install.

The files are "there" alright. Browsing to usr/share/backgrounds I can see everything nicely ordered into folders. Helena, Isadora and some more are all there. I can also add one image at a time by browsing to the corresponding folder - from the "desktop settings" dialog. But trying to add/view the folders themselves gives me nothing...

Funny thing is that if I switch to the Gnome session they are all there...

Ok - I realize that I probably took LMDE a step (just a small step, but still) beyond what it is intended for at the moment by adding xfce to the mix... but maybe someone has some kind of input anyway?

conslie
Level 4
Level 4

Re: XFCE on LMDE - can't browse installed background "packs"

Post by conslie » Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:46 am

Just saw this discussion in the LMDE forum: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=141&t=61745. Looks like it might address the same issue successfully, although the original question was about Gnome. Maybe a hint, at least.
Last edited by conslie on Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

gosa
Level 4
Level 4

Post by gosa » Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:13 am

First reaction:
Sh~t! That's what I get for going newbie instead of looking for an answer in the LMDE-section... :oops:

Then I read that thread, and either it's just because there's a connection somewhere in that thread I don't understand or the thread don't fully apply...

The part that Aging Technogeek writes about in the third post of the thread I've already figured out (browsing to the folder in question and adding the pic manually). What confuses me is that in the Gnome session the newly installed packs show up with preview in the "desktop settings" dialogue without me having to click "add" and browse my way over to them, and in the XFCE session they don't. (Even though I used the XFCE session to install them).

I'm sorry for being a bit... or... no I'm not - that's why I'm here in this section to begin with. :)
- But what am I missing?

conslie
Level 4
Level 4

Post by conslie » Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:59 am

I thought the third post made by Aging Tech (seventh overall if I counted right) provided a solution for LMDE users, but it is specific to Nautilus, so if XFCE doesn't use Nautilus it was probably irrelevant. Sorry but good luck and maybe someone else can be more helpful.

gosa
Level 4
Level 4

Post by gosa » Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:09 am

Don't worry about it... what he posted was a good solution, and if all I want is to pick my wallpaper that is how I'll do it.
- I just got a bit curious about why they come up in Gnome and not in XFCE... feels like either I did something wrong, or some stuff aren't playing along very well in my XFCE-addition... (probably the first of those two).

Anyway - Thanks a lot for your input!

bobcollard
Level 5
Level 5

Post by bobcollard » Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:02 am

gosa wrote:Don't worry about it... what he posted was a good solution, and if all I want is to pick my wallpaper that is how I'll do it.
- I just got a bit curious about why they come up in Gnome and not in XFCE... feels like either I did something wrong, or some stuff aren't playing along very well in my XFCE-addition... (probably the first of those two).

Anyway - Thanks a lot for your input!
Open your usr/share/backgrounds and put all the pictures, not the folders, inside the original folder.
Robert Collard, Springfield, IL
Dell Inspiron 1545 Laptop, Intel Duo T3400 CPUs @2.16 Ghz. 4GB RAM
Linux Mint Debian Edition, Xfce 4.6.2 Desktop, 2.6.37-0.dmz.6-liquorix-amd64

gosa
Level 4
Level 4

Post by gosa » Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:56 am

bobcollard wrote: Open your usr/share/backgrounds and put all the pictures, not the folders, inside the original folder.
Can't do that... the folders are there. Right now I have the following folders in usr/share/backgrounds/:

linuxmint
linuxmint-extra
linuxmint-helena
linuxmint-julia

And they all contain a number of backgrounds. But if I try to drag-drop them to a level higher they just "bounce" back... Just for the fun of it I tried to drag one of them to the trash instead but got denied because of permissions.

So I opened thunar as root and moved the pictures out of the above folders.
- And nothing... they still don't come up in the "Desktop Settings" dialogue...

So - although I can set whatever background I want by adding each image individually I still can't browse installed backgrounds the "normal way". Nothing big, but still a bit annoying.

Return to “Newbie Questions”