Magazine DVD, no w32, mplayer, libdvdcss2...

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
StereoTTYp

Magazine DVD, no w32, mplayer, libdvdcss2...

Post by StereoTTYp »

Hi all,

As the title suggests I am having trouble getting certain codecs installed via the start centre page thing ('mint welcome'? there is a link on page to install restricted codecs). Out of 30 packages there are four which will not install as they are 'not authenticated', they are; apport-hooks-medibuntu, w32, mplayer and libdvdcss2, but I am unsure as to why. I have done the server ping thing and selected a server in France, I'm Birmingham UK. I have also tried another french one but still the same. Do I need to add a source to the software sources list? I remember doing this in Ubuntu 8.04 to get restricted codecs but that was some time ago and was to actually enable the medibuntu extras.

Another thing, does nobody provide an update server for Mint here in the UK? Really? and it's no.2 on distrowatch.com

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

StereoTTYp
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
rivenathos
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Magazine DVD, no w32, mplayer, libdvdcss2...

Post by rivenathos »

Welcome to the forum!

The disc found in magazines does not come with some extras, as you noticed. Just add them in. Ignore the "not authenticated" warning. There should be UK mirrors.
Current hardware: a Dell OptiPlex 3010 desktop, a Dell Inspiron 531 desktop, and a Dell Inspiron 1545 laptop.
Current OS: LMDE 3
StereoTTYp

Post by StereoTTYp »

Thanks, rivenathos

Yeah I didn't expect extras as the mag can presumably be shipped off to USA /Japan and other places where the law is seemingly even more ridiculous. BTW it's Mint 10 and was on Linux Format.

There really are no UK mirrors, I had a quick look at the list, but the button to select the best server gave a french one yesterday and a different french one today... I can't imagine why there would be such poor infrastructure support for such a popular distro but Ubuntu itself has loads in the uk, a lot of which are .ac (university) mirrors.
vrkalak

Post by vrkalak »

List of Servers/Mirrors for LinuxMint -- Worldwide >> http://www.linuxmint.com/mirrors.php

Both for download and for the repositories. There are some in the UK.
StereoTTYp

Re: Magazine DVD, no w32, mplayer, libdvdcss2... SOLVED

Post by StereoTTYp »

Nice one, vrkalak.

I have now reverted to the main server for installing extras and worked ok. Then I did the server test again and it gave me a third one, this time in Germany! I will test the severs on the list and see which UK server is best.

SOLVED

Return to “Beginner Questions”