SSL, tunneling through Linux Mint servers!?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
limotux
Level 4
Level 4

SSL, tunneling through Linux Mint servers!?

Post by limotux »

Hi guys,

As I frequently encounter -and maybe lots of us as well - the problem of internet censorship, blocking voice protocols... etc. I have researched forums and found that the best solution would be renting a server in a free country to use for tunneling. I have tried using Tor but it is so slow and needs a lot of work to use.

Copying the idea of Dropbox and alike, I was just thinking/suggesting that for Linux Mint users, maybe it would be convenient to use Linux Mint Servers, by installing a special client for users of Linux Mint only to use the net freely. I imagine the client should not need lots of hassles to configure to make it easy for users to connect by just running the client, ie it should be pre-configured and/or auto-configures itself.

Of course this should be limited to users who suffer some sort of restrictions not for all users just for the fun of it.

On the other hand, I think this service should help promote Linux in general, and Linux Mint in particular.

What you think guys?

Sounds crazy?! I know, but I believe it is possible at almost no financial cost to Linux Mint or users.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Lenovo G580
Desktop: Cinnamon 4.8.6 - LMDE 4 Debbie
In Love With Linux
GSXR750L

Re: SSL, tunneling through Linux Mint servers!?

Post by GSXR750L »

I don't know much about this sort of thing but don't they have to be anonymous and spread widely across the globe on multiple PCs acting as servers so as authorities cannot get to you. Would a Mint advertised server set Mint up as some sort of target, so maybe if single anonymous people as yourself were to set up specialized multiple servers in many safe countries and anonymously spread the word amongst yourselves that might work. See I don't really have a grasp on this but it looks as if a Tor like set up using dedicated servers rather than users PCs might be a good idea but who would pay for it and code it :?: :oops:
limotux
Level 4
Level 4

Post by limotux »

Hi GSXR750L,

Thanks for your interest to discuss.

My idea is to use the underutilized servers of Linux Mint, for example the servers where the repos are kept, they are only used by few developers to upload the new stuff, how many users access the servers for updates? for how long? other than that the servers and their bandwidth is almost idle. So we don't really need extra hardware.

All we need is some developers to volunteer as in any open source project to adapt existing software or develop a client to install and voila!

What you think guys?
Lenovo G580
In Love With Linux
GSXR750L

Post by GSXR750L »

Hello limotux, I think your ideas are good and hope others will join the discussion. I used to have an anti government blog and briefly looked into Tor and similar stuff but I haven't any technical abilities so can only show a passing interest but good luck and keep probing 8)
Pranaone

Post by Pranaone »

hmm..Interesting.. 8)
Seca

Post by Seca »

I think this type of service would be a target for abuse. Also, you can already purchase similar services through the use of a vpn. You are right to think that there isn't much setup involved but the servers would surly be overloaded if this service was opened.
limotux
Level 4
Level 4

Post by limotux »

Hi Pranaone and GSXR750L , Hi everybody

I am really glad to find out that my idea is not that crazy, there is support for it and there is need for it.
I hope we can see it and download the said client sometime soon.
It is about freedom above everything.

I wonder if there would be developers or volunteers to take on that little big project.
Any inputs or comments from Linux Mint would be highly appreciated. Unfortunately I have stopped coding long time ago, plus this was not my main experience.

Waiting to here from you guys, developers and users.
Lenovo G580
In Love With Linux
limotux
Level 4
Level 4

Post by limotux »

Seca wrote:I think this type of service would be a target for abuse. Also, you can already purchase similar services through the use of a vpn. You are right to think that there isn't much setup involved but the servers would surly be overloaded if this service was opened.
Hi Seca,
I'm not sure what you mean by "abuse", of course I'm not talking about facilitating crime, I'm talking about freedom. It is not acceptable to pay an ISP money to control me, to allow me to use skype or not, to read opposition ideas or not.... it is about freedom, it's about human development.

Imagine that I can hardly read any website about "internet security" or secure networks... etc.

I started linux in 2000, and went through all the hassle and pain just to be free from Microsoft abuse and manipulation.

About server load, maybe the sys admins can tell us about the current server loads and how much servers can take as I believe as I mentioned before that many servers are idle most of the time. It just needs some simple calculation.

Some users might be able to purchase such service, but it might come to my mind that purchasing will put them at risk.
But if it is just a client in a distro for the users of this specific distro they are safe. Moreover, can you imagine how many in the world would migrate to Linux Mint? At that time, server loads issues can be raised, and it can be funded from more adds revenues or donations.

What you think.
I hope we can hear from LM server admins, developers and users.
Lenovo G580
In Love With Linux
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

limotux wrote:Hi guys,
As I frequently encounter -and maybe lots of us as well - the problem of internet censorship, blocking voice protocols... etc. I have researched forums and found that the best solution would be renting a server in a free country to use for tunneling. I have tried using Tor but it is so slow and needs a lot of work to use.

Copying the idea of Dropbox and alike, I was just thinking/suggesting that for Linux Mint users, maybe it would be convenient to use Linux Mint Servers, by installing a special client for users of Linux Mint only to use the net freely. I imagine the client should not need lots of hassles to configure to make it easy for users to connect by just running the client, ie it should be pre-configured and/or auto-configures itself.
..As I frequently encounter -and maybe lots of us as well - the problem of internet censorship, blocking voice protocols.
You don't say where the blocking happens
  • At work
    --understandable, block <violates forum rules>, gambling, maybe in vestment or money schemes sites..
  • In a suppressed country
    --much more of a problem, they (security, state services) watch more closely than in a freer society such as the democracies..
Now, none should suggest that Mint offer a service that may be considered illegal, such as skirting the laws of the society in which Mint resides: that would put LinuxMint at risk of prosecution

The best way to get around internet blocking is via HTTP (port :80), and there are HTTP tunneling programs available, as well as messaging services such as Meebo, instead of Facebook etc
http://www.meebo.com/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTTP_tunnel
--a little data on HTTP tunnels

As to what happens after the tunnel, that should be up to you to answer, it can be an anonymous service (if they have that available), your own internet server supporting HTTP tunneling or the regular SSH tunneling, although that could be one of the blocked services, wherever you are located !
limotux
Level 4
Level 4

Post by limotux »

thanks DrHu, but allow me to comment as follows:

In regards to the legal matter, let me call this an additional "privacy" or "security" feature that ships with LM.
Nobody can sue LM, if using this feature is a crime it is a crime by who uses it, like <violates forum rules> or gambling sites if they are illegal in a country that country does not sue or accuse the website, it sues the user! No country has sued any <violates forum rules> website for making its content accessible in the "offended" country. No country has country has accused another for suppling drugs, laws of any country apply only in the country.

On the other hand, it is something like torrents, it is used to distribute Open source software which is absolutely legal, and to distribute pirated copies of software, movies... etc. which is illegal. Yet nobody could criminalize this technology, they criminalize the user.
Maybe we need to confirm this from someone more knowledgeable.

In regards to your last 2 lines, I think there might be various ways to overcome this, it is not about what the service provider allows.

Finally, it is all about freedom, about the user not being abused or manipulated.

Sounds logical and absolutely legal. Linux Mint has the right to offer their users privacy and security tools even if the users are in the United States or in the United Kingdom for example. They have the right to privacy and security.
Lenovo G580
In Love With Linux

Return to “Beginner Questions”