Mint KDE 9 interface

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Synic==on
Level 1
Level 1

Mint KDE 9 interface

Post by Synic==on » Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:30 pm

stupid question # 1

Is Mint KDE 9 still using the same distro as mint 10?

Stupid Question # 2

if not, is there a way I can bring back the look of KDE mint 9 on my new install of mint 10? it looks so much better in my eyes

feed3
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Mint KDE 9 interface

Post by feed3 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:46 pm

stupid question # 1
Is Mint KDE 9 still using the same distro as mint 10?
You need to know what is the different between Distro, DE (desktop environment) and window manager. you might want to read this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desktop_environment

Basically,in short, Mint 9 KDE use KDE as the desktop environment while Mint 10 Main Edition use Gnome although it is the same distro (Linux Mint)
Stupid Question # 2
if not, is there a way I can bring back the look of KDE mint 9 on my new install of mint 10? it looks so much better in my eyes
You can install any DE you want, me myself installing KDE and LXDE inside my mint 9 main edition (not requiring it but just for fun). But it is not as easy as single click process and you might borking your system though.

Synic==on
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Synic==on » Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:59 pm

ok sorry, it's late, I've been in school all day, let me clarify. I am on Julia on my laptop. I use Mint 9 KDE on my desktop, I did not install mint 9 on my laptop because I thought Julia was an updated version of Linux Mint. IS Linux Mint Julia, a newer version of Mint 9 KDE? or is it JUST the DE? if it is JUST a DE will installing the KDE-full bring back my lovely blue KDE from mint 9? : )

forgive me for not phrasing things right. it's been a while...

colyn
Level 6
Level 6

Post by colyn » Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:47 am

Synic==on wrote:ok sorry, it's late, I've been in school all day, let me clarify. I am on Julia on my laptop. I use Mint 9 KDE on my desktop, I did not install mint 9 on my laptop because I thought Julia was an updated version of Linux Mint. IS Linux Mint Julia, a newer version of Mint 9 KDE? or is it JUST the DE? if it is JUST a DE will installing the KDE-full bring back my lovely blue KDE from mint 9? : )

forgive me for not phrasing things right. it's been a while...
Linux Mint regardless of version comes with different desktops. Gnome, KDE, LXDE, XFCE, etc.

All versions of Mint 9 are the same base OS. Just the desktop is different.

Currently Mint 10 is released with Gnome but Mint 10 KDE is being tested and should be released soon. See here http://community.linuxmint.com/iso

Synic==on
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Synic==on » Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:18 am

excellent. one last question. just for S&Gs... I tried to install Mint 9 KDE on my Julia... it never gets passed the boot up screen (the 5 blue dots). it stops after a while and goes to a blank screen. thinking the DVD was bad ( it had some scratches ) I burned a new one... same problem. I burned the i386 for my dell inspiron 1150... I can't make it work. any ideas?

phd7
Level 3
Level 3

Post by phd7 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:41 pm

I assume you mean you have actually installed it and are having trouble logging in afterwards

I have recently installed mint 9 KDE and every few times I get the same problem. I assume it is a problem with the graphical desktop opening. I do CTL ALT delete and it reboots. It has always logged in the 2nd time. No idea why.

Im on the 64-bit version.

ibm450
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ibm450 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:37 pm

phd7 wrote:I assume you mean you have actually installed it and are having trouble logging in afterwards

I have recently installed mint 9 KDE and every few times I get the same problem. I assume it is a problem with the graphical desktop opening. I do CTL ALT delete and it reboots. It has always logged in the 2nd time. No idea why.

Im on the 64-bit version.

yep same here, i repeat the same steps and goes back to normal
Sony i3 - VPCEB13FG laptop ~ LM19.2 - ZorinOS 15 - Win 10

Synic==on
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Synic==on » Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:42 pm

actually, I am trying to install it. it is not installed now. I have Mint Julia. I'm am trying to install Mint 9 KDE. (I like the interface's look better)

phd7
Level 3
Level 3

Post by phd7 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:17 pm

so you downloaded and burned a version of Mint 9 KDE and now the disk wont boot at all, is that the problem? I know KDE uses more resources than Gnome but dont know if KDE would be be too much to run if Gnome was okay. Have you checked the hardware requirements for 9 KDE?
http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=1495

Apart from the default look it is much more configurable than Gnome if you like the desktop eye candy

Synic==on
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Synic==on » Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:22 pm

I do meet the req's. barely. (barely meet the reqs for gnome too...)

phd7
Level 3
Level 3

Post by phd7 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:34 pm

well if thats the case and you want KDE it looks like it may be time to splash the cash and upgrade the computer.

This probably wont make any difference but if you can boot from a USB stock you can install unetbootin which lets you boot a live distro from a USB stick.
http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/

Synic==on
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Synic==on » Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:30 am

perhaps... I was hoping to not shell out the extra for the RAM. I am mainly using this for college to go the websites and do the research. I have this problem with trusting websites. so I have my best friend here named Linux, who goes go to these websites and laughs at the viruses for me. and I just pull the info I need off them and write the papers.

OpenOffice is upsetting me though... I may have to slap it around

Synic==on
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Synic==on » Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:24 pm

ok I replaced the RAM. I'm at 1 GB now. when I pop the DVD in, have it boot from the DVD, it gets to the "start Linux" Start Linux in compatibility mode" check the DVD integrity, boot from local drive. I choose start LInux (the same way I did when I tested the disk on another computer. AKA this one. it brings up the 5 dots that tells you it's supposed to be doing something however it does NOT bring up the Linux Mint emblem or the words... JUST the dots. on the test computer (this one) it does bring them up. please help. I can run it in compatibility mode, but that's just the terminal.

ibm450
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ibm450 » Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:23 pm

phd7 wrote:I know KDE uses more resources than Gnome but dont know if KDE would be be too much to run if Gnome was okay.

no dis respect, but, sorry i have to disagree with this one in regards to using more resources. when i run gnome with compiz running (wobbly windows etc) it uses about 490-600mb while on the desktop (meaning running nothing) and with lm9 kde (kernel 2.6.38rc2), my resources sit at 320mb and with the bonus of having the nice eye candys turned on???

laptop im using is ASUSUL50VT and running lm9 kde 64bit. but thats not to say whether ill have the same results on lm10KDE...
Sony i3 - VPCEB13FG laptop ~ LM19.2 - ZorinOS 15 - Win 10

phd7
Level 3
Level 3

Post by phd7 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:50 pm

it MAY be the video settings. I may not be connecting to the graphical desktop. i had this isue with a couple of distros lately. Unfortunalely I dont know enough about this (but al least I bumped the thread :D )

feed3
Level 4
Level 4

Post by feed3 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:44 pm

Synic==on wrote:I can run it in compatibility mode, but that's just the terminal.
Just the terminal? can you type startx and then press enter? from there, you can do an installation.
maybe you can give some clear info of
1. your hardwares (cpu,gpu,ram in total etc)
2. what have you tried
and so on.. someone might can help you here, should be someone can help you on this..

Synic==on
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Synic==on » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:00 pm

moved this to the install and boot forum for proper viewing. PC stats posted there. Thanks

Return to “Newbie Questions”