Screen saver does not start

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
bullpen7979
Level 1
Level 1

Screen saver does not start

Post by bullpen7979 »

Gotta be a simple solution here but I can't quite get it...set screen saver to start in one minute, screen fades to black, and then nothing. Screen saver won't start. Any ideas? My power management settings are set@ default. Thanks listers....
colyn
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Screen saver does not start

Post by colyn »

Have you checked to see if you have screensaver set to a blank screen?
bullpen7979
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bullpen7979 »

yes I have. Its not. All savers (including the extra ones I installed) work fine in preview but when screen fades, that's it. Nothing.
phd7
Level 3
Level 3

Post by phd7 »

have you checked the power management settings to see if any kick in after 1 minnute?
Ivor Hardy
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Ivor Hardy »

Have same problem,be interested to know if there is a fix for it.....
colyn
Level 6
Level 6

Post by colyn »

I suspect it is a power setting issue. Possibly power settings have been changed by the user.

To check if the screensaver does work go to menu_system-settings_desktop_screensaver. Make sure the screensaver you want is highlighted then click the test button. If the screensaver comes on then hit esc to get back to the screen. This means it does work. If not then you don't have all of the componants installed.
Ivor Hardy
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Ivor Hardy »

Have double triple checked my power settings,its not the issue for me. Screensaver is set to come on after 1 minute but screen just goes blank,all screensavers work in preview mode..
oldwood
Level 1
Level 1

Post by oldwood »

I have the same problem on Mint Mate 19.3. Problem was there before update to 19.3.
I have 2 systems setup the same one works this one does not.

The screen fades and there is a bit of a flash like the screen-saver trys to start but then just goes black.
kato181
Level 6
Level 6

Post by kato181 »

Would be nice to know what desktop you are using.. Cinnamon, Mate or Xfce.
What screensaver are you using also.
David1293
Level 4
Level 4

Post by David1293 »

Hi, all

No solution, I'm afraid, but the following observations.
I'm using Mint Mate 19.1, having tried 19.3.
I've tried 19.3 twice now, and the screensaver doesn't work. On preferences, I can see the correct screensaver is selected, and even see a preview, but when it's time for the screensaver to work, it just goes to a blank screen.
I'm wondering if this is a bug with 19.3?
As soon as I used timeshift to revert to 19.1, the screensaver worked.

Sorry not to have helped, but maybe someone reading this might have some idea what is the problem.

Regards
D
Last edited by David1293 on Tue Dec 31, 2019 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
pbear
Level 15
Level 15

Post by pbear »

FWIW, I notice nothing different about screensavers in 19.3, for which I have all three desktops installed in test boxes (my main system is Mate 19.1).

Mate: The only desktop which still uses xscreensaver. Works same as always in my 19.3 test box.

Cinnamon: Dropped xscreensaver back at 19.1, as part of the upgrade to Cinnamon 4.0. Current screensaver is desktop wallpaper (dimmed) plus a clock. smurphos did a tutorial for how to restore xscreensaver to 19.1, but I don't know whether it still works.

XFCE: Dropped xscreensaver back at 18.3, apparently because of conflicts with Power Manager. A few users in the past reported success installing xscreensaver anyway (available in repo), but don't recall having seen anything about it recently.
kato181
Level 6
Level 6

Post by kato181 »

I can report that Xscreensaver does in fact work in Mint 19.3 Cinnamon as I use it. It also works in Mate and Xfce
pantr
Level 1
Level 1

Post by pantr »

I had this problem in Mint 19.3/MATE, and it is still there after upgrading to Mint 20/MATE (did that yesterday). In Mint 19.3 it turned out that it was like a coin toss
whether it started after a reboot. Sometimes it did, after other reboots the screen only went black. I have configured 5 minutes waiting time till the screensaver kicks in. This is perhaps not the most important issue in Mint, but still, I'd like it to work.
David1293
Level 4
Level 4

Post by David1293 »

Hi, all

I had the same problem.

Please see the following: viewtopic.php?f=90&t=325974

Read the post by Smurphos. It worked for me.

Regards
D
ajgreeny
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ajgreeny »

OK, it's not Mint, but I can confirm that xscreensaver works without any problems in Xubuntu-20.04, showing the gl-slideshow just as I want, so I can relive all my holidays from past years instead of going somewhere this year. I assume from this that it should also work fine in Mint 20.

I have been using xscreensaver for very many years now as I find it much more configurable than any other screensaver version. I know they are not needed on nornal LED screens for the original purpose, but they serve other purposes as well; ie they let me see all my photos at random which I would otherwise never see again!

Jusr remove or disablw whatever screensaver you currently have, install xscreensaver (and xscreensaver-gl if you want the slideshow), and set it to autostart by adding command

Code: Select all

xscreensaver -no-splash
to the autostart list in your system.

Return to “Newbie Questions”