Nautilus & Gnome Panel not loading?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
rcentros
Level 3
Level 3

Nautilus & Gnome Panel not loading?

Post by rcentros »

My Dad uses Linux Mint 8 so I want to test Mint 10 and get ready to install it before November. I've got the same computer with the same video card so if it works here it should work there (he's over 500 miles away). My main desktop OS is VectorLinux, but I also dual-boot (now tri-boot) to CentOS and have been using only Linux for three years now. Linux Mint 10 is working well, EXCEPT it often won't load the Gnome Panel and/or Nautilus when booting. I can get them to start by going to a terminal and typing "pkill gnome-panel" and "pkill nautilus" and, until I reboot, everything works fine. Does anyone know why this happens and whether or not there is a permanent fix? I don't want my father to have this problem when we install Mint 10 on his computer. Thanks.
viking777
Level 14
Level 14

Re: Nautilus & Gnome Panel not loading?

Post by viking777 »

This is insane. I presume you know that pkill sends a sigterm signal to the process you name, so the raison d'etre of 'pkill gnome-panel' is to kill the process 'gnome-panel' . You are telling me now that issuing this command actually starts it :shock: . I might as well go back to Windows if that is the case.

The only reason I can think of that this will happen is if you have two processes attempting to start gnome-panel every time you boot up then perhaps killing one of them will allow the other to start normally. I have no idea how this can happen though.

I would be tempted to have a look in Control Panel/Startup Applications and make sure nothing is duplicated.
Fujitsu Lifebook AH532. Intel i5 processor, 6Gb ram, Intel HD3000 graphics, Intel Audio/wifi. Realtek RTL8111/8168B Ethernet.Lubuntu 13.10,Ubuntu12.10 (Unity), Mint16 (Cinnamon), Manjaro (Xfce).
rcentros
Level 3
Level 3

Post by rcentros »

viking777 wrote:This is insane. I presume you know that pkill sends a sigterm signal to the process you name, so the raison d'etre of 'pkill gnome-panel' is to kill the process 'gnome-panel' . You are telling me now that issuing this command actually starts it :shock: . I might as well go back to Windows if that is the case.

The only reason I can think of that this will happen is if you have two processes attempting to start gnome-panel every time you boot up then perhaps killing one of them will allow the other to start normally. I have no idea how this can happen though.

I would be tempted to have a look in Control Panel/Startup Applications and make sure nothing is duplicated.
Thanks for the response. I checked Startup Applications and nothing is duplicated (this is a new install). I understand the point of "pkill" -- the only reason I knew this would "fix" the problem is that I've read about it elsewhere with people who were having the same problem. I assume Linux Mint "respawns" these applications (processes?) when they terminate (or are terminated). But why it doesn't load them in the first place I'm not sure. I'm guessing it might have something to do with the proprietary nVidia legacy video driver I finally got installed -- (GeForce 2 MX-400). The reason I think it may be a driver is because I'm able to log in with "Safe Mode" without issue. But I would rather put up with this problem than not run the nVidia driver. And, besides, it's not consistent. Sometimes Nautilus will load, but not the Gnome Panel, and sometimes it's the opposite and sometimes neither will load -- and sometimes they'll both load. Inconsistency bothers me than anything else. It's just a nuisance for me, for my Dad it could be a deal killer.

BTW, going back to Windows is not even a blip on the radar. When Windows screws up it's usually something to do with the registry and that's almost always "reinstall" time. I have to keep my family and friends' Windows running and I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.
viking777
Level 14
Level 14

Post by viking777 »

Thanks for the explanation, sorry I couldn't have been of more help.
Fujitsu Lifebook AH532. Intel i5 processor, 6Gb ram, Intel HD3000 graphics, Intel Audio/wifi. Realtek RTL8111/8168B Ethernet.Lubuntu 13.10,Ubuntu12.10 (Unity), Mint16 (Cinnamon), Manjaro (Xfce).
rcentros
Level 3
Level 3

Post by rcentros »

viking777 wrote:Thanks for the explanation, sorry I couldn't have been of more help.
I appreciate you taking the time to respond. I'm posting on the off chance someone has had the same problem and figured out how to fix it. I realize it's almost impossible to test Linux Mint on every hardware combination out there and obviously this problem is not common.

Any way, before I ramble again, I just wanted to thank you.
rlindsey0
Level 3
Level 3

Post by rlindsey0 »

No answers here, just want to confirm that I have this problem too, specifically with Gnome Panel. Ctrl-Alt-Backspace and a repeat login almost always fixes it, without a full reboot.

If someone knows the answer, I'd love to hear it.
Sarah 18 Cinnamon 64, dual-boot Win 10 Pro 64 SP1, Clevo W150ER 15.6" laptop, i7 3630M, 16 GB RAM, Samsung SSD 840 Pro 256 GB/HGST 1 TB 7200 RPM, Nvidia GT 650M 1 GB, eSATA 3.0 HGST 1 TB 7200 RPM, HP Photosmart C5280
GSXR750L
Level 3
Level 3

Post by GSXR750L »

I'm no expert on anything, just a guess, could it be when you installed the nVidia driver, it removes, say nouveau or something and some dependencies, so if you re-install the gnome-panel package, it might put back the missing bits, or maybe if along right lines you might find the dependencies to gnome-panel if any and re-install them ?
viking777
Level 14
Level 14

Post by viking777 »

I'm no expert on anything, just a guess, could it be when you installed the nVidia driver, it removes, say nouveau
Installing the Nvidia driver doesn't remove nouveau or any part of it. In fact if you are having problems with an Nvidia install and have lost graphics all you have to do these days is remove/rename xorg.conf then reboot and your machine will start up with the Nouveau driver as it did when first installed and your graphics are back again. This is actually a very useful feature I discovered recently which has changed my views on the Nouveau driver dramatically (I still don't use it though).
rsmith769
Level 1
Level 1

Post by rsmith769 »

I actually had a problem with this too. On a normal user account. To fix it I logged into the Admin account and deleted the user. I haven't created another regular user yet. I'm using this distro to get some experience with Linux so right now I'm not really worried about user accounts. Not sure why it did this but I have a regular on board graphics card Intel I think. Don't know if that helps any.......
Pranaone
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Pranaone »

if deleting the user account fixes it, then its related some configuration issue.Try using gconf-editor,and mess around with gnome panel options.
Pranaone
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Pranaone »

If deleting the user account fixes it,then its related some configuration issue.
Try using gconf-editor, and mess around with gnome panel/nautilus options. Sorry to give a rough idea,I'm not close to computer right now and can't remember exact parameters to change.

Return to “Newbie Questions”