Linux Mint 9 KDE vs Linux Mint 10 Gnome

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Daboo
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint 9 KDE vs Linux Mint 10 Gnome

Post by Daboo »

I'm just a little curious. I have the KDE version of Linux Mint installed, which from what I can tell is a previous version of Linux Mint, version 9. I was thinking originally, it was version 9 of the KDE desktop but with the same kernel but just different desktop interfaces.

It seems like I was probably wrong though. That the KDE desktop version is using the older kernel, and the Gnome version is using the newer kernel. Right? Or am I totally off-base?

So should I wait till a Linux Mint version 10 comes around if I want the KDE desktop?

Thanks. I'm really new to this idea of Linux, but I'm liking what I see very much.

Chris

JasonLG
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Linux Mint 9 KDE vs Linux Mint 10 Gnome

Post by JasonLG »

Daboo wrote:I'm just a little curious. I have the KDE version of Linux Mint installed, which from what I can tell is a previous version of Linux Mint, version 9. I was thinking originally, it was version 9 of the KDE desktop but with the same kernel but just different desktop interfaces.

It seems like I was probably wrong though. That the KDE desktop version is using the older kernel, and the Gnome version is using the newer kernel. Right? Or am I totally off-base?

So should I wait till a Linux Mint version 10 comes around if I want the KDE desktop?

Thanks. I'm really new to this idea of Linux, but I'm liking what I see very much.

Chris
Mint is based on and binary compatible with Ubuntu.(9=10.04, 10=10.10, etc) Each corresponding version shares the same kernel just has a different Desktop environment and default application set. The latest version Mint KDE is 9 it uses the same kernel and version of KDE as Kubuntu 10.04. The latest version of Mint 10 GNOME uses the same version of GNOME and kernel as Ubuntu 10.10.

Mint 9 KDE is a LTS(long term support) release so it will be supported for 3 years and I'm sure is a fine OS.(I use Mint GNOME) If you like KDE then by all means give Mint 9 a shoot. At this time Kubuntu 10.10 doesn't even have the most current version of KDE(which is 4.6) so you would probably have to wait until Mint 11 for it.
"I see" said the blind man to the deaf man who stuck his wooden leg out the window to check the weather.

Dave68
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Linux Mint 9 KDE vs Linux Mint 10 Gnome

Post by Dave68 »

You can also monitor the testing of all Mint Flavors here:
http://community.linuxmint.com/iso

It looks like the latest KDE and LXDE have both failed. I imagine new ISO's will be up in the next day or two.

Keep Watching,
Dave
Linux User: 528038
Primary PC: Version: LMDE (201101), 32 Bit.
Alternate 1: Version: Peppermint One OS, 32 Bit.
Laptop: Version: Julia Main (10), AMD 64

Return to “Newbie Questions”