how do I install a "simple" program?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Re: how do I install a "simple" program?

Post by AlbertP »

Use the cd command to go to the folder.

Then execute this: ./name (where name is the filename)

If it says permission denied, then you can make it executable by right-click the file > Permissions > then tick the box that allows executing it.
Or:

Code: Select all

chmod +x name
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.

kindofabuzz
Level 2
Level 2

Post by kindofabuzz »

this is exactly why a lot of Linux users DO NOT want Linux to become mainstream. Windows has made users lazy to where if it involves more than just clicking on something, they freak out and do not want to learn anything. Sorry, just my 2 cents. :D

krymz
Level 1
Level 1

Post by krymz »

kindofabuzz wrote:this is exactly why a lot of Linux users DO NOT want Linux to become mainstream. Windows has made users lazy to where if it involves more than just clicking on something, they freak out and do not want to learn anything. Sorry, just my 2 cents. :D

well, some are like that, but for me I found it interesting to get to know how to fix windows, to become independent from the tech's who always put you on hold forever. In my case, it's simply that it becomes a completely different... world. where are the programs I just installed from the software manager? it dint ask me a path (for example, and I would like an answer if that's possible)

conslie
Level 4
Level 4

Post by conslie »

krymz wrote:
kindofabuzz wrote:this is exactly why a lot of Linux users DO NOT want Linux to become mainstream. Windows has made users lazy to where if it involves more than just clicking on something, they freak out and do not want to learn anything. Sorry, just my 2 cents. :D

well, some are like that, but for me I found it interesting to get to know how to fix windows, to become independent from the tech's who always put you on hold forever. In my case, it's simply that it becomes a completely different... world. where are the programs I just installed from the software manager? it dint ask me a path (for example, and I would like an answer if that's possible)
I think you will find this intro helpful --> http://www.tuxradar.com/content/how-lin ... mate-guide

Skip a bit past halfway down to the "Linux virtual filesystems" section to address your direct question. I believe you will find the whole read both understandable and enlightening, and worth a re-read or six. It's easy enough to say Linux and Windows are different, but this is a very nicely written description of how Linux works.

Then open a Terminal and enter --> man hier

man is a request for a manual or documentation. hier is what you want documentation about. In this case it is the Linux filesystem directory structure or hierarchy

You are beginning a delightful adventure. Have fun!

karashata
Level 4
Level 4

Post by karashata »

Not to discount all the attempted help provided in this thread so far, but... PCSX Reloaded can be installed fairly easily from Synaptic Package Manager if you have the removed repos enabled. I believe the repos are included in the default Mint install but are disabled by default.

In order to enable them (in the event that they aren't already enabled), launch Synaptic Package Manager, open the Settings menu and select Repositories. In the window that opens, switch to the Other Software tab, then scroll through the list until you find to entries starting with http://archive.removed/ubuntu natty-removed. One will be for apps and one for games, you could enable just the one for games but you may as well enable both just to be safe, and because in rare cases removed will have newer versions of some applications than what the main Ubuntu repos have. Once those repos are enabled, close the window. You should then be asked to reload the package lists because of the updated sources. Once that finishes, you should be able to search the package list for the pcsxr package and install it.

If for some reason the removed repos aren't even in the list, you'll need to open /etc/apt/sources.list in a rooted text editor (I do this by launching 'gksu gedit /etc/apt/sources.list' from the Run dialog) and add the following two lines to the end:

Code: Select all

deb http://archive.removed/ubuntu natty-removed apps
deb http://archive.removed/ubuntu natty-removed games
You should then refresh your package list and can proceed from there.

You may find this to be a lot easier in the end than downloading files from sites and not being sure what to do with them in order to get them to work. I would recommend always checking the repositories first for anything you might wish to install, and if they're not there (or if they're out-dated, it happens sometimes...), perhaps looking for a PPA for the given package that you can add to your sources in order to be able to install it using a package manager. If the software you're looking for can't be found this way, then try looking for a .deb package for it first, since Ubuntu (and its derivatives, including Mint) use .deb packages natively and it's much easier to install them. If .deb packages don't exist... Well, everyone else has pretty much explained how to install from source and how to make binary scripts (.bin) executable, so I won't get into it myself.
Linux Mint user since 2010, fluffy dragon forever!
Registered Linux User #473695

AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

Please replace natty-removed with maverick-removed on Mint 10, and with lucid-removed on Mint 9, to avoid incompatibility issues.

kindofabuzz
Level 2
Level 2

Post by kindofabuzz »

krymz wrote:

Take time to learn Linux dir structure. Most programs are in /usr/bin

AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

They can usually be found in the menu. If not, you can start a program by typing its name in Terminal and pressing Enter. (Don't close Terminal as long as the program is still running: closing Terminal will also close programs started by it).

sgosnell
Level 5
Level 5

Post by sgosnell »

Packages can be installed in several places, and bits and pieces can be all over the place. Executables often go in /usr/bin, but can go in /usr/local/bin, /opt, or other places. You can manually install them in your home directory. Configuration files go in hidden directories under /home/username, but also in various places under /etc. There is no hard and fast location, so it's best to use apt, aptitude, synaptic, etc to do the installation, so it can be undone by apt-get remove, or apt-get purge, depending on whether you want to get rid of all config files.

If the executables go into /usr/local/bin, you can't call it directly from the terminal because that isn't in the path, so you have to use the full path to run it. Same for packages installed into /opt. Not all packages add a menu entry, so that's not ifallible, either. One of the strengths, and weaknesses, of open source software is that there are no hard enforceable rules on this. It's up to the developer to decide where his installation package will put files, and the user to figure it out, hopefully via provided documentation.
Asus eee-pc 900 w/ 32GB SSD.

AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

And the most confusing thing is that distros' packages are different: my e-mails of Evolution suddenly had to be put into another directory after switching from Fedora to Mint.

Return to “Newbie Questions”