Mouse copy and paste function.

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Dajunka

Mouse copy and paste function.

Post by Dajunka »

I have been reading in my books and guides, how in Linux you have a magic mouse, that copy's what is highlighted and pastes when the middle mouse button is pressed.
One of my mice does not copy when text is highlighted and the other mouse won't do either.

Do you need a special mouse for this function to work?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
viking777

Re: Mouse copy and paste function.

Post by viking777 »

I have never found a mouse where this function doesn't work yet, so your answer is no you don't need a special mouse.
Dajunka

Post by Dajunka »

One is made by Microsoft the other by Logitech. The Logitech nearly works but not a peep out of the Microsoft mouse.
Is there no way to fix this, should I give up?
viking777

Post by viking777 »

Is there no way to fix this, should I give up?
Well I can't think of any reason to connect two mice to the same computer so just use the Logitech one with Linux and the Microsoft one with whatever else you have. Seems simple enough to me?

BTW I am using a Logitech mouse at the moment but prior to that I had a Microsoft mouse and neither have ever given me any trouble.

Are you sure your Microsoft mouse isn't just broken?
Dajunka

Post by Dajunka »

The two mice are on two separate Linux Mint machines.
The Microsoft usb itellimouse is not broken, and the usb Logitech mouse does not copy by highlighting.

The only thing I have found out so far is it is something to do with the kernel not recognizing certain hardware. (what ever that means)

It would be nice if I could get them working, but I can live without it if need be.
viking777

Post by viking777 »

Well Dajunks, in years of using Linux on multiple computers with dozens of different distros and several different brands of mouse, I have never been able to get this function to fail. Not ever. The fact that you apparently have two mice that fail to do this on two different machines is ASTONISHING! It really is. I obviously cannot help you with this because it is impossible for me to reproduce and difficult to google also, since nobody else seems to have this problem either. I don't know everything or even the tiniest proportion of everything about Linux, so maybe this is one of the very many gaps in my knowledge showing up, maybe someone else has the knowledge to help you here. I hope so, because it is a very useful feature that you are missing out on. Of course you could always use the standard copy and paste commands as a workround - assuming they work.
Dajunka

Post by Dajunka »

I think I have spent enough time on this problem, time to mark this one as unsolved and move on, I have plenty more ground to cover before I can call myself a Linux user. :)

Thank you for trying to help Viking, but you can't win them all. Maybe I will buy another mouse sometime and try that.
Chris_C

Post by Chris_C »

What's wrong with CTRL-C (Copy) CTRL-V (Paste). Or highlighting selection and right clicking and selecting copy if you are in terminal?
Dajunka

Post by Dajunka »

Chris_C wrote:What's wrong with CTRL-C (Copy) CTRL-V (Paste). Or highlighting selection and right clicking and selecting copy if you are in terminal?
You could say "what wrong with using windows xp instead". :)
If it is a working function of Linux, then I would like to know why it does not work on my computer. It's all part of the (learning about Linux) procedure.
Chris_C

Post by Chris_C »

Yes I guess you could ;-) I'd say Microsoft stopped supporting it July 2010 and is prone to picking up viruses. Out of curiosity I plugged in my mouse (GE 97986) it doesn't do it either. Perhaps because the third button is also a scroll, but I'm not sure.
piquat

Post by piquat »

The only time this doesn't work for me is if I close the application I'm copying from and then try to do a paste.

But that's normal.
Dajunka

Post by Dajunka »

It nearly works on my Logitech, just that I need to r/c and select copy, the paste from middle mouse works great. My Microsoft Itelli mouse does niether, it just sits there like a dump shrew. :)
astriedinger

Post by astriedinger »

Hey guys, hwo are you I Have something similar to your cases..... I think it may be related juts to the application you are using possibly but I am not sure... this is why...

I just ofund out that while on the program gdit, if I try to use the mouse technique.... it simply wont copy... if I do the right click or CNTRL+C then it works fine.... SO just to check I went and do the same trick from the terminal,,, I went to 2 different directories in the same terminal, one after another and then copy one witht he CNTRL+C amd then the other with the mouse... and voila!!! it work perfectly.... indeed the order is important, since you have to select the thing with your mouse either way ....

I went back to gedit and naaa, it id not work... then I tried witn LibreOffice just like int he user guide and it worked a litle bit jeje it is wired they way it worked... So if the word is still highlighted (I am using in my configuration green higlithing ) then I can copy paste the same sentence just next to itself,,, but as soon as I click on ther way or the sentence is not highighted anymore,,,, then nothing works... but from terinal it works perfect... so I hope this helps and realtes to you situation ...

Return to “Beginner Questions”