[Solved]Uninstalled Gnome-Panel, can't get past login screen

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
crondon
Level 1
Level 1

[Solved]Uninstalled Gnome-Panel, can't get past login screen

Post by crondon »

So, I was doing a little desktop customization today, and got everything setup the way I wanted. I was wanting to completely replace gnome-panel with Tint2, but I was unable to merely delete the panel from my desktop. So naturally, I figured I would just uninstall it. I uninstalled it from Synaptic, and I suppose I should have paid a bit more attention as to what it took with it, because my gnome-session is gone.

Well I figure now, I'll just boot into recovery console and just apt-get install gnome-session. Good idea, except I can't get my internet to connect. Everytime I try to run ifup eth0, it tells me "Ignoring unkown interface eth0=eth0". I'm running LMDE and I'm not really sure how to get rid of this error. If anyone knows what I could do I would be so grateful, as I would rather not have to reconfigure my whole desktop. I know this is fixable, I'm so close!
Last edited by crondon on Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DrHu
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Uninstalled Gnome-Panel, can't get past login screen.

Post by DrHu »

You don't say whether your network (internet) connection is wired (eth0) or wireless, usually wlan0
--in either case, investigate the network data, via the network tolls available
  • wired devices
    ifconfig and the network text files
  • wireless devices
    iwconfig and the network text files
http://www.debianadmin.com/debian-netwo ... users.html

Check /etc/network/interfaces
for contents:

Code: Select all

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp
crondon
Level 1
Level 1

Post by crondon »

I did forget to mention that I am directly wired in via ethernet, yet i cannot get eth0 to start or connect. When I run ifconfig I just get the Local Loopback results instead of anything for eth0.

My interfaces file looks as such:

# The loopback network interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

# The primary network interface
allow-hotplug eth0
#NetworkManager#iface eth0 inet dhcp
What would I need to change here? Could I just get rid of the #NetworkManager# section?
deivid
Level 1
Level 1

Post by deivid »

The last line is weird, your eth0 interface configuration is commented... Try to put it in a different line

# The loopback network interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

# The primary network interface
allow-hotplug eth0
#NetworkManager#
iface eth0 inet dhcp
crondon
Level 1
Level 1

Post by crondon »

I got it! Thanks for the help! ifconfig eth0 was giving me a device not recognized error, so I went ahead and tried eth1 for the hell of it. Sure enough, it brought up my ethernet connection. ifup eth1 gave me the unknown interface error again though. So I just went back into my interfaces and changed the eth0 to eth1. Back up and running! I knew I was close, I just needed a nudge in the right direction! Thank you very much!

Return to “Newbie Questions”