Upgrading from LinuxMint 10 to LMDE, is it possible?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
hamdimo

Upgrading from LinuxMint 10 to LMDE, is it possible?

Post by hamdimo »

is there any way to upgrade from Linux Mint 10 "julia" to Linux Mint Debian without reinstalling the whole system?
I'm using version 10 from mint, it's awesome but then i colpared and i'd love to have LMDE, i wanna give it a try and upgrade or update or whatever i have to do :)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
msuggs

Re: Upgrading from LinuxMint 10 to LMDE, is it possible?

Post by msuggs »

The short answer is no. LMDE uses a Debian base and is not compatible with the main edition.
sss

Post by sss »

I dont think you can call it 'upgrade' or 'update'. I dont think LMDE is a higher version but just a different system.
Like you, I wanted to try LMDE after Mint 10 gnome but came back to mint10 immediately. Mint 10 gnome works beautifully and conveniently for a newbie like me. I never liked linux this much before. I have been able to do a lot of things on it.
I just got the impression that LMDE is not that newbie friendly.
If everyrthing is working right then keep mint 10. You can always try LMDE when mint 11 releases. That way, if you dont like LMDE, you can have a fresh intall of mint 11. That is what I will be doing.
hamdimo

Post by hamdimo »

sss wrote:I dont think you can call it 'upgrade' or 'update'. I dont think LMDE is a higher version but just a different system.
Like you, I wanted to try LMDE after Mint 10 gnome but came back to mint10 immediately. Mint 10 gnome works beautifully and conveniently for a newbie like me. I never liked linux this much before. I have been able to do a lot of things on it.
I just got the impression that LMDE is not that newbie friendly.
If everyrthing is working right then keep mint 10. You can always try LMDE when mint 11 releases. That way, if you dont like LMDE, you can have a fresh intall of mint 11. That is what I will be doing.
This Is the kind of answer I was looking for.
I thank you a lot :)

Return to “Beginner Questions”