recommended desktop environment for a newbie?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
eightonefive
Level 1
Level 1

recommended desktop environment for a newbie?

Post by eightonefive »

ok, been having issues during installation with the KDE, so which is the best one to start with? KDE? LXDE? Fluxbox? XFCE? I'm not sure of the differences. if I have an install of mint with KDE, can I remove kde, and install LXDE? or XFCE?

the computer in question that I will be installing on is the one my wife uses the most, so even though I'm not afraid of a learning curve myself, I'd like to get the distribution and desktop that will be most similar to a windows environment to avoid her getting frustrated with it and making me reinstall windows 7. please help. I have two systems waiting for a reformat and OS right now.
eightonefive
Level 1
Level 1

Re: recommended desktop environment for a newbie?

Post by eightonefive »

nobody recommends their favorite?
conslie
Level 4
Level 4

Post by conslie »

The usually recommended starting point is the Linux Mint Gnome desktop. It is not Window$, or an emulator, of course, and works very differently, but there is enough similarity to make the first steps in using it less difficult.

The KDE variant is a lot more Linuxy in that it starts with a lot of the special features that Linux makes possible and that those more familiar with Linux have come to value, but it also provides a very powerful user interface.

If you are just experimenting, try all the LiveCDs that seem interesting, and install whatever you like. If you have enough HD space, install the top contenders in their own partitions and try them out until you find your favorite(s).

There are other distros designed for specific purposes, from serving the needs of high-geek-wizards to helping elementary school kids get a bit of learning while playing.
mikhou
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mikhou »

Maybe, I'm reading it wrong, but you gave people all of 14 minutes to respond to your first post when you posted your second one. The people here are great, and they'll give you answers, but you gotta give them an opportunity to do so. :-) That being said, here's my $.02. Just loadup the LM 10 Main edition. It's a Gnome desktop environment (DE), and as the other poster said, it's not Windows, but it's not complicated either. My favorite DE is XFCE, and I would suggest that to you as well, but if Clem and the gang feel that the best default DE for the masses is Gnome (which they obviously do since it's the default) then you should probably start with that one. If your computer is anywhere close to modern, it'll run the Main edition. Then after you're familiar with it, if you want to experiment or try a lighter DE, go on to XFCE or LXDE. I'm personally not a Fluxbox or a KDE fan, but those are options as well. If you do find yourself comfortable with Gnome, I think that XFCE is closer to Gnome than the others. KDE is a whole other ballgame, and I'm not a fan, but some people love it. Fluxbox is going to be more difficult to configure.

Bottom Line: Start with what everybody else does, LM 10 Main Edition (Gnome). BUT feel free to experiment with others in a Virtualbox machine. You're never going to learn if you don't play with it (read: break it).

mikhou
grey1960envoy
Level 4
Level 4

Post by grey1960envoy »

I do agree with mikhou as you must give people time to respond. :wink: That being said I started with Mint 9 and stuck with Mint 10 on one laptop and LMDE on the other, BOTH run the gnome desktop and neither my wife nor I would even think to return to windoze :!: The learning curve is relatively easy and you will be amazed at how much more productive a computer can be away from that virus pretending to be an operating system :lol:
In a perfect world everything has it's place, Linux on my computer, windows on the wall, and M$ in the trash!
CrunchBang, LMDE, Mint 9 ,Peppermint Hackintosh and a few others :) Registered ...Machine; #432150 user ;#530829
conslie
Level 4
Level 4

Post by conslie »

Just to add to my advice to, if practical - skill and HW, install other distros that might serve special goals, here is the master list: http://distrowatch.com/

And "play with" is a key attitude and the key learning tool available to us new users. A very bad Ooopsy! can get undone in 30 minutes, not the 8 hours and endless reboots when XP becomes unbootable.
eightonefive
Level 1
Level 1

Post by eightonefive »

I only posted the second post because within the matter of ten minutes my post got buried to the second page, so I "bumped" it. I'm using linux mint KDE right now, and it feels ok. I am having some issues with the screen tearing when I use my mouse wheel to scroll through web-pages and my cursor is tending to lag behind, and letters are not displaying as I type them. not sure if its a display driver issue, a firefox issue, or a mint/kde issue. My system seems to also be running a bit slower than it did when I had win 7 64 ultimate on here. not sure how to check and see if this OS is detecting all my hardware correctly. I did use the additional driver drivers app, but all it detected was my wireless card.

My laptop is specced as follows:

Intel Pentium T3400 / 2.16 GHz ( Dual-Core ) • 15.4" • Notebook • 4 GB RAM • 160 GB HD • Intel GMA 4500M Shared video memory

I realize it's an older laptop, but I have mint running on a junk pentium 4 computer that I pieced together a few days ago, and am having no issues with it whatsoever. It's running much faster on the 8 year old desktop than this 2 year old laptop. I read somewhere that there were display driver issues with integrated nvidia/intel video?

any bit of help you guys can give will be greatly appreciated.
grey1960envoy
Level 4
Level 4

Post by grey1960envoy »

Perhaps you might want to try LMDE 64 on the laptop , I run it on a Dell inspiron 1525 with 4Gb RAM and a 320 GB HDD (the only things modified)It has an intel centrino chip and I find it does very well.
In a perfect world everything has it's place, Linux on my computer, windows on the wall, and M$ in the trash!
CrunchBang, LMDE, Mint 9 ,Peppermint Hackintosh and a few others :) Registered ...Machine; #432150 user ;#530829
kvv
Level 4
Level 4

Post by kvv »

eightonefive wrote:I
I realize it's an older laptop, but I have mint running on a junk pentium 4 computer that I pieced together a few days ago, and am having no issues with it whatsoever. It's running much faster on the 8 year old desktop than this 2 year old laptop. I read somewhere that there were display driver issues with integrated nvidia/intel video?

any bit of help you guys can give will be greatly appreciated.
You should create a separate thread for it. It's very likely that your video card is not supported, or you have the wrong drivers installed.

Create a separate thread and paste the output of the following:

Code: Select all

lscpci -v
and

Code: Select all

inxi -f
Ash-Lee

Post by Ash-Lee »

I would recommend Gnome for a beginner, The Mint menu is very Windows-esque and easy to navigate. As for the lagging screen that's almost certainly graphics driver related.
mikhou
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mikhou »

Again, if you're brand new to Linux in general and/or LM, then just go with the Main edition. LMDE is great as well, but I would suggest that you start with what everybody else started with. That's what I did on LM 7, and I have since moved to LM8, then I added various DEs. Then I went with LMDE and added XFCE on top of it. Then I ended up going with straight-up Debian with an XFCE environment, and I haven't changed looked back since.

But you've got to crawl before you can walk. None of these are difficult to use, but try the Main edition first. There's a reason that it's the most-popular LM edition. It's also the one that most people can help you with in case of trouble. You also might find that it just might be that you find that it's the one for you.

Once you get the LM Main setup, install Virtualbox and play with other editions to your heart's content. That's when you'll find what's right for you.

mikhou

Return to “Newbie Questions”