Mint can't read data DVD - Win7 can

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
grindlestone

Mint can't read data DVD - Win7 can

Post by grindlestone »

I have a Win7/Mint 10 dual boot. I've been burning and reading all kinds of DVDs and CDs in Mint since I installed it without problem. However I have recently encountered two discs that Mint failed to read. Both discs were quite readable in windows.

Disc 1:
Data DVD on a rewritable burned three days ago, in Mint - On attempting to read it back Nautilus could not see the files on the disc - I eventually copied the files back to HDD via acetone (made and iso). I Opened the disc later in windows 7 and copied the contents to the HDD without issue via explorer.

Disc 2:
Data DVD burned seven years ago (!) in XP - Nautilus could not see the files on disc and acetone could not get them either (tried making an iso). Booted into windows 7 and was able to copy the files without problem via explorer.

Both the discs contain .avi files and are both are readable by our elderly domestic DVD player...

Is there any explanation for this? I have been looking forward to adopting Mint as my sole OS, but this gives me pause. If the system has difficulty reading data DVDs this might lead to unnecessary loss of what would be perfectly OK backups.

Oh and I favour DVDs at the moment because my experience with mechanical drives indicates DVDs are the more reliable medium!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
richyrich

Re: Mint can't read data DVD - Win7 can

Post by richyrich »

Would you by chance have Nautilus set to show thumbnails/previews of those video files ?
grindlestone

Post by grindlestone »

Yes for the disc 1 incident; no for disc 2.

Yellowbeard?
grindlestone

Post by grindlestone »

OK, we've had a little bit more testing today.

Put the unreadable disc in Mint today and it saw the files straight off and then successfully copied them to the HDD!

I am beginning to suspect operator error. But surely using optical discs can't be that hard?

I should say that before I put the disc in I had to remove my COD4 disc from the drive. I simply hit the eject button and swapped the discs. I noticed that the Nautilus still showed the COD4 disc and the files on it even after I'd swapped it with my other disc. Also, the disc icon on the desktop still showed as COD4. It wasn't until I right clicked and chose "eject" and the reinserted the disc that the contents changed and I could see my files.

Are users expected to always do this right click thing with opticals? Seems daft.

I am happy though that I can see this disc in mint this time round (though I'll keep testing with it) - important home movies from yesteryear.
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

Good to hear . . . :)
Yellowbeard?
Yup,(gimped a little) . . one of my favorite Mel Brooks movies, watch it at least once a year . . sorta Mel Brooks joins Monty Python . .

and sorta what I think Richie Rich from the comics could look like; . . .grown up, broke, and burnt out . . Image
grey1960envoy

Post by grey1960envoy »

Yellow beard ? Mel Brooks ??? I'm watching it now ...Looks more like Cheech & Chong to me though!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: Damn I miss those stoner movies :lol: : :?: :?:

Return to “Beginner Questions”