RE: compare XP to LinuxMint

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Yamanaga
Level 1
Level 1

RE: compare XP to LinuxMint

Post by Yamanaga »

In Window XP there both 32-bit and 64bit version, but 64-bit has very less software for it, but 32-bit has much. Is it same true for Linux Mint...32bit version has much software, 64bit not much software for it?

JasonLG
Level 7
Level 7

Re: RE: compare XP to LinuxMint

Post by JasonLG »

Yamanaga wrote:In Window XP there both 32-bit and 64bit version, but 64-bit has very less software for it, but 32-bit has much. Is it same true for Linux Mint...32bit version has much software, 64bit not much software for it?
No, for the most part with the exception of some old proprietary drivers there is a 99.999% parity between the 32 bit and 64 bit versions.
"I see" said the blind man to the deaf man who stuck his wooden leg out the window to check the weather.

Ash-Lee
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Ash-Lee »

You will probably find that most software will work on the 64-Bit version of Windows as well with some exceptions. I never came across a problem runnings 64-Bit Windows 7.

I also haven't come across any problems running 64-Bit version of Mint. (Or Debian, or even Arch).

....I tell a lie, Flash player struggled with my 64-Bit Debian install. I didn't really investigate further though.

tatsujin79
Level 2
Level 2

Post by tatsujin79 »

In my experiences so far the only things that MIGHT give you trouble on 64 bit would be as JasonLG said old proprietary drivers, a few games and possibly newer versions of flash. Other then that you should be good to go, and remember there is always a fix if you want to take the time to find it.

Yamanaga
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Yamanaga »

Excellent! My thanks to all. Most glad I can do 64-bit version to full use AMD64 without great loss for software choices.

Return to “Newbie Questions”