How to connect to internet?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
EastCoast315
Level 1
Level 1

How to connect to internet?

Post by EastCoast315 »

Hi, I'm totally new to linux. I've used windows since I could read, and now I'm ready to make the switch. I'm running into one issue though; internet connection. First, I tried Ubuntu, and the internet wouldn't work. So I figured it might have been the mirror I used, and I tried a different one. Nope. Then I figured maybe it was the distro itself, so I tried Linux Mint. Still, can't get it to work.
First, I'm sorry if there is a thread or article on this already, but these threads and articles are written at differing levels of linux jargon, that I'm too new to fully understand. I ran lspci and all that, but wasn't sure what to make of the results. And I can't get them from LM to win7 (I'm duel booting now) because that would require an internet connection (save screenshots to email), which I can't do.
I don't think I have any sorts of problems at all. I am on a wireless connection, and it works fine with win7 on the same computer, and on my droid. I tried to reset the router, nope. I think my real issue is simply not knowing how to set up wireless. I've tried "create new network" where I put my Network name and key in, and it registers, saves, and then a message comes up saying "disconnected to internet" or similar message to that effect. Also, I'm not 100% sure what my security is (I think it's WEP2 PK or something like that), how do I find out what that is?

Lol, linux makes me feel sorta dumb! I'm normally intelligent, I swear! haha

colyn
Level 6
Level 6

Re: How to connect to internet?

Post by colyn »

Click the menu (lower left corner) then applications-system-additional drivers. Enter your password and see if it finds the wireless drivers.

Wireless drivers are not installed when you install Mint so you have to go the above route..

I neglected to mention that you will need to connect via wire before you can download the wireless driver..
Last edited by colyn on Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

grey1960envoy
Level 4
Level 4

Post by grey1960envoy »

Some thing to help us help you is give us the kind of computer you are using, some of the specs may help us determine which way to direct you :)
In a perfect world everything has it's place, Linux on my computer, windows on the wall, and M$ in the trash!
CrunchBang, LMDE, Mint 9 ,Peppermint Hackintosh and a few others :) Registered ...Machine; #432150 user ;#530829

gimcrack
Level 1
Level 1

Post by gimcrack »

Try hooking up by wire first. Then you can figure it out how to go wireless with the correct drivers.

EastCoast315
Level 1
Level 1

Post by EastCoast315 »

It's not possible for me to connect via wire. I'd need a long ass cord to get up here haha, three floors up. Is there any way around that requirement?
Also, I'm on an HP pavillion p6610f. Here's the spec sheet: http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/ca/en/ho ... 99341.html

kunk
Level 1
Level 1

Post by kunk »

The wireless drivers (iwl3945) on my machine were working out-of-the-box, if I remember correctly.

-PCI Devices-
Host bridge : Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/PM/GMS, 943/940GML and 945GT Express Memory Controller Hub (rev 03)
SMBus : Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family SMBus Controller (rev 02)
Network controller : Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 3945ABG [Golan] Network Connection (rev 02)

Return to “Newbie Questions”