Dell Inspiron Issue

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
jeff r
Level 1
Level 1

Dell Inspiron Issue

Post by jeff r »

I can not seam to get my Dell Inspiron 1545 laptop to connected to the internet. and honestly im just tired of messing with it. i was running mint 9 and it work perfect. my desktop is running mint 9 and it works perfect too. as of now, i have to boot into Vista to use my laptop. i hate this. so here is my question.

Is there a flavor of Mint that will work for my laptop and the very sensitive (apparently) wireless card? Or, does anyone know of a good distro that would. I am not a power user. very novice. I know how to install a distro and use it, that is about it.

any help would be very appreciated.

gimcrack
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Dell Inspiron Issue

Post by gimcrack »

Hook-up your laptop to a wire instead of wireless right now. Goto Control Center - Hardware - Additional Drivers to find your wireless drivers. Now you have wireless. I do this with every laptop first with any Linux, so I can go wireless.

jeff r
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jeff r »

ive done this a couple of times. it doesn't work.

here is what is happening. i will activate the driver. which by the way, did not work at first. some how, it worked finally. now, it will either say that it is not connected to a network, will keep asking me to authenticate over and over again, or it will say it is connected with full bars and then not work (server not found) kind of stuff. if i try and plug it in, it will still show the cable connection with an red x in the middle. it wont even plug in with an ether net cable.

like i said, honestly, im tired of messing with it. my original question still stands. i need a distro that will work.

and you know whats funny? when i bought it, i had the choice of getting it with Ubuntu of Windows installed. and now it doesn't work with Linux.

jeff r
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jeff r »

and some other problems that mint 9 didn't have.

when i first installed mint 10, it was having problems with the video being jumpy. so i found this post saying you have to run all of the commands on the command line to install some special stuff. so i did. but it said i have to boot into the ( 2.6.32-020632-generic ) from now on. which worked for a while, even the wireless worked. ever so often, when i do boot in, i get a ( mounting none on /dev failed: no such device ). and then scrolls though some strange text i don't recognize. a bunch of fatal DMA error stuff. i finally have to do a manual shut down by holding the power button. and so ill go boot into the first option, but it gets all jumpy. not just the video, the whole thing.

there are other things, but those are the most common.

Chris_C
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Chris_C »

sudo apt-get install linux-backports-modules-wireless-lucid-generic

More info can be found here: http://linuxwireless.org/en/users
Dell Latitude D620 Dual-Boot Linux Mint 9/Windows XP Home

TBABill
Level 6
Level 6

Post by TBABill »

You probably have a Broadcom card. If you want it to just work out of the box, try PCLinuxOS. My BCM4312 works beautifully with it. Or if you like Gnome, try Ultimate. It comes with the drivers pre-installed as well. Sabayon does also, but the network manager will not permit you to connect so you'd have to remove it and install a different one. From your post it sounds like you just want it working so I'd probably skip Sabayon unless you don't mind taking that extra step. I can't recall if Pinguy comes with the drivers by default or not.

PCLinuxOS would be my recommendation. It just works. It's KDE but also available in E17, Xfce, Gnome, LXDE, Fluxbox.

If you want to learn how to get it going in Mint, post back with info on your wireless card for assistance. If it's Broadcom and just won't connect, try

Code: Select all

sudo rfkill unblock all
and if that's not helping, then we need card info from the output of

inxi -N

vinnywright
Level 1
Level 1

Post by vinnywright »

as @TBABill has sead it is imposable to answer the question with ought knowing what wireless card/chip-set you have.

output of

lspci | grep net
or the one @TBABill asked for :wink: would help!

VINNY

MrD
Level 4
Level 4

Post by MrD »

There is the small possibility you have got a bad download or burn for Mint. Redownload, burn and install over your current install and see if you can get things working. Remember the wifi drivers aren't installed by default, so plug ethernet into your laptop before you start installing and choose to update whilst installing, then manually install the wifi drivers, I find neither is better than the other on my 1520.
Dell Inspiron 1520 - T6570 2.1ghz C2D, 4 gigs ram, integrated Intel 965 GPU, Intel replacement wifi card.

vinnywright
Level 1
Level 1

Post by vinnywright »

my Broadcom card did have he drivers installed by default (wrlxxxx modual ) but did not work well.....(intermittent signal droped conection.....) so I installed the XP drivers with ndiswrapper (the windows wireless drivers in system settings)and it's ben good ever sence :)

VINNY

jeff r
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jeff r »

thanks for all of the suggestions. im going to check out PCLinuxOS. but, i think im going to try a new download and install first. i really like mint 10, and i want it to work.

when i get on my laptop, ill post the lspci. and after i install, ill try the the suggestions fom Chris C.

thanks everyone, ill let ya'll know how it goes.

jeff r
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jeff r »

vinnywright wrote:my Broadcom card did have he drivers installed by default (wrlxxxx modual ) but did not work well.....(intermittent signal droped conection.....) so I installed the XP drivers with ndiswrapper (the windows wireless drivers in system settings)and it's ben good ever sence :)

VINNY
it seems i remember installing that on mint 9. where do i get the ndiswrapper?

vinnywright
Level 1
Level 1

Post by vinnywright »

my mint9 fluxbox has a windows drivers utility to do it for you.....you just point it to the .inf file.

but ndiswrapper should be in your package manager.......thar are 2 packages you nead ndiswrapper-utils & common

be shur to put all 3 driver files in the same folder and then open a terminal thare.......and do

sudo ndiswrapper -i filename.inf
then

sudo ndiswrapper -m
then

sudo ndiswrapper -ma
then

sudo ndiswrapper -mi
and finally

sudo modprobe ndiswrapper

from ndiswrapper -h
vinny@desktop:~$ ndiswrapper -h
install/manage Windows drivers for ndiswrapper

usage: ndiswrapper OPTION
-i inffile install driver described by 'inffile'
-a devid driver use installed 'driver' for 'devid' (dangerous)
-r driver remove 'driver'
-l list installed drivers
-m write configuration for modprobe
-ma write module alias configuration for all devices
-mi write module install configuration for all devices
-v report version information

where 'devid' is either PCIID or USBID of the form XXXX:XXXX,
as reported by 'lspci -n' or 'lsusb' for the card
vinny@desktop:~$
if you have a cd for the card it will have driver ver. for windows 95,98.XP,2000 and so on in diferent folders ......I find the XP ones work best but YMMV.

VINNY

Return to “Newbie Questions”