Laptop Touchpad

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
rcdeacon
Level 3
Level 3
Posts: 136
Joined: Fri Jun 29, 2007 5:25 pm
Location: Murfreesboro, North Carolina, USA
Contact:

Laptop Touchpad

Postby rcdeacon » Wed Nov 21, 2007 7:41 am

I need a configuration tool for the touchpad on my Acer laptop. I did not know which one would work the best. There seemed to be a few of them available. Can anyone steer me in the right direction. Also I apologize if this was posted in the wrong place. I was unsure where to post.

User avatar
antiquexray
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 604
Joined: Sat Nov 18, 2006 6:04 pm
Location: Albert Lea Minnesota USA

Re: Laptop Touchpad

Postby antiquexray » Wed Nov 21, 2007 10:06 am

rcdeacon wrote:I need a configuration tool for the touchpad on my Acer laptop. I did not know which one would work the best. There seemed to be a few of them available. Can anyone steer me in the right direction. Also I apologize if this was posted in the wrong place. I was unsure where to post.

Is it working now and what do you want it to do?

rcdeacon
Level 3
Level 3
Posts: 136
Joined: Fri Jun 29, 2007 5:25 pm
Location: Murfreesboro, North Carolina, USA
Contact:

Re: Laptop Touchpad

Postby rcdeacon » Wed Nov 21, 2007 12:49 pm

I don't know where the configuration setup is located. Right now the touchpad is too sensitive and I need to adjust it back some.

User avatar
antiquexray
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 604
Joined: Sat Nov 18, 2006 6:04 pm
Location: Albert Lea Minnesota USA

Re: Laptop Touchpad

Postby antiquexray » Wed Nov 21, 2007 1:04 pm

rcdeacon wrote:I don't know where the configuration setup is located. Right now the touchpad is too sensitive and I need to adjust it back some.
I'm at work now and really can't help you much. I can look around after I get home.

I use a script to disable my touchpad because my dragging thumbs were causing problems (it works great). I use a wireless mouse.

rcdeacon
Level 3
Level 3
Posts: 136
Joined: Fri Jun 29, 2007 5:25 pm
Location: Murfreesboro, North Carolina, USA
Contact:

Re: Laptop Touchpad

Postby rcdeacon » Wed Nov 21, 2007 2:56 pm

I appreciate the help antiquexray. You live in a very nice area BTW. I have been up there when I drove trucks over the road. Nice part of the country!

User avatar
antiquexray
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 604
Joined: Sat Nov 18, 2006 6:04 pm
Location: Albert Lea Minnesota USA

Re: Laptop Touchpad

Postby antiquexray » Wed Nov 21, 2007 6:11 pm

rcdeacon wrote:I appreciate the help antiquexray. You live in a very nice area BTW. I have been up there when I drove trucks over the road. Nice part of the country!
I'm not from MN, I'm from IL...and oh yeah, I did the over-the-road thing many years ago driving a corn-binder and full-blooded puppy dog; mostly trip leasing. If you know what that is you may be an old trucker too.

OK, to the task at hand, click Daryna (in the left lower corner) and then Control Center. Under hardware look for "Mouse." Click the tabs and see if that helps. If not, let me know.

PS I even drove a 318.

rcdeacon
Level 3
Level 3
Posts: 136
Joined: Fri Jun 29, 2007 5:25 pm
Location: Murfreesboro, North Carolina, USA
Contact:

Re: Laptop Touchpad

Postby rcdeacon » Wed Nov 21, 2007 6:15 pm

Thanks, I've got to go out for a while but I will give it a try when I get home. Take care and thanks again. I'll post the results.

User avatar
BakUp
Level 3
Level 3
Posts: 197
Joined: Sun Sep 23, 2007 9:20 am
Location: Minnesota USA

Re: Laptop Touchpad

Postby BakUp » Wed Nov 21, 2007 6:38 pm

antiquexray wrote:I'm not from MN, I'm from IL...


Check your profile ???

User avatar
antiquexray
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 604
Joined: Sat Nov 18, 2006 6:04 pm
Location: Albert Lea Minnesota USA

Re: Laptop Touchpad

Postby antiquexray » Wed Nov 21, 2007 7:35 pm

BakUp wrote:
antiquexray wrote:I'm not from MN, I'm from IL...


Check your profile ???

I live in MN, I'm not from MN.

rcdeacon
Level 3
Level 3
Posts: 136
Joined: Fri Jun 29, 2007 5:25 pm
Location: Murfreesboro, North Carolina, USA
Contact:

Re: Laptop Touchpad

Postby rcdeacon » Wed Nov 21, 2007 9:32 pm

Antiquexray, I found what you were talking about in the control center but there is NO way to adjust the sensitivity of the touch pad. It seems that I drag my palm across and mess myself up sometimes. In kde they have ksnapatics which gives the ability to change the sensitivity. I'm very new to Gnome and did not know if the same capabilities exist.

User avatar
antiquexray
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 604
Joined: Sat Nov 18, 2006 6:04 pm
Location: Albert Lea Minnesota USA

Re: Laptop Touchpad

Postby antiquexray » Wed Nov 21, 2007 9:41 pm

rcdeacon wrote:Antiquexray, I found what you were talking about in the control center but there is NO way to adjust the sensitivity of the touch pad. It seems that I drag my palm across and mess myself up sometimes. In kde they have ksnapatics which gives the ability to change the sensitivity. I'm very new to Gnome and did not know if the same capabilities exist.

Do you have a mouse other than your touchpad? With this new forums look I haven't figured out how to find the link that will tell you how to turn off the touch pad so you don't have those problems. Let me keep looking and I'll get back to you.

User avatar
antiquexray
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 604
Joined: Sat Nov 18, 2006 6:04 pm
Location: Albert Lea Minnesota USA

Re: Laptop Touchpad

Postby antiquexray » Wed Nov 21, 2007 9:44 pm

Check out this link:

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=4753&hilit=touchpadoff

Let me know

User avatar
antiquexray
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 604
Joined: Sat Nov 18, 2006 6:04 pm
Location: Albert Lea Minnesota USA

Re: Laptop Touchpad

Postby antiquexray » Wed Nov 21, 2007 10:02 pm

PS, I did condense those post into a tutorial, but I really have had time to proof it.


Return to “Newbie Questions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 16 guests