Julia VS isadora support?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
hoshi411
Level 1
Level 1

Julia VS isadora support?

Post by hoshi411 »

Why is Linux mint 10 only supported until April of 2012 while an older version Linux mint 9 is to be supported until 2013? Shouldn't the newer version get longer support?

I'm referring to this page
http://www.linuxmint.com/oldreleases.php

This is really confusing to me since I'm looking to try out Linux mint for the first time and don't know which version to go with let alone whether I should go with debian or gnome or kde etc...?!
proxima_centauri
Level 11
Level 11

Re: Julia VS isadora support?

Post by proxima_centauri »

No, every couple of releases is what's known as a "LTS", or long term support release - this occurs every 2 years.
This way one can remain with a stable system for a longer period of time, or just keep going with the newer releases.

The last Linux Mint LTS, was Linux Mint 5 Elyssa.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

From 5 on, each 4th version (every 2 years) is an LTS, Long Time Support, version. LTS versions have 3 years of support while normal versions have 1,5 years.

Mint 5 is going to be 'EOL'd' (End of Life) when April is over. People have had a year to switch to 9.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
hoshi411
Level 1
Level 1

Post by hoshi411 »

What I'm hearing is that Linux mint 10 is actualy 9.25 then mint 11 will be 9.5 until Linux mint 15 comes out which will actually be a significant upgrade.

Have I understood correctly?
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

No, you haven't understood this right.

The LTS releases are 5 and 9 (the 4th release after 5). 13 (the 4th release after 9, released in 2012) will also be LTS.
All the other releases aren't LTS, only 8 and 10 are still supported because the others have reached end of life after 1,5 years.

We haven't had any more releases with a minor version number (behind the dot) for years here, 9.25 and 9.50 don't exist.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.

Return to “Newbie Questions”