Resizing Linux Mint installed in Windows

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Keshin
Level 1
Level 1

Resizing Linux Mint installed in Windows

Post by Keshin » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:35 pm

Hi, guys.

This is my first post here. I'm quite new to Linux, but I've been using it for about three months, but I love it. I'm still new to it and figured out a lot, but I much prefer it to Windows for things like surfing the internet and writing things up. I've not tried it for gaming yet, but I usually don't game much on computers.

My Linux Mint is installed in Windows, and I made it quite small (about 7GB or something stupid, I know, I was cautious about breaking a large part of my HDD). I've been searching on the internet for ways to resize it, and I have GParted Installed.
However, I do not seem to have a partition so I don't know how to change it to make it bigger. I don't really want to uninstall Linux to make a larger one, and I installed it Linux through a mounted .iso (worked fine) so I don't have the Live CD (but I have it at my old man's, where it strangely freaks out when I try to install Mint).

This is what I see:

Yeah, I know my PC HDD is tiny. :P

However, how can I resize Linux Mint, installed through Windows, without uninstalling it and reinstalling it? (as I've been saving images and configuring it and stuff to ways I like it.) I don't want to delete Linux or Windows (although I'd like Linux to load up by default nowadays instead of Windows) because one can be for video-gaming and one for casual use.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, guys :)

Sleven
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Resizing Linux Mint installed in Windows

Post by Sleven » Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:33 pm

Hi Keshin, welcome to the wonderful world of Mint :D

You need to do a few things in Windows first, this will help with a clean install and help protect you M$ Windows.

Download Ccleaner from Piriform
Ignore the request for $24.95, that is only if you want customer support. Ccleaner is free, and very easy to use.
http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download
Cleaning the temp files from the default setting is safe.

Then download Defraggler from Piriform also, and again ignore the request for $24.95, Defraggler is also free.
http://www.piriform.com/defraggler/download
Defrag the HDD using Defraggler. If it does not completely defrag, use the M$ Windows defrager, Start>Accessories>System Tools>Defrag
Then run Piriform's Defraggler once again.

You said you had a live CD, check the MD5 sum of the original ISO. If the sums match, burn a new CD if you are able to. Most burning software has a verify data option, this way you know for sure your copy is not corrupted.

Your HDD has 44G of the space free now, and should have even more after the defrag.

When installing from the live CD, chose the option of installing next to Windows
When prompted for the size of the new partition, use at least 12G.

You should be good to go.
LMDE 64 running Cinnamon on an HP Compaq Core2 Duo 4G Ram

StanTheMan
Level 5
Level 5

Post by StanTheMan » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:08 pm

A Linux-Mint instllations generally takes LESS than 5 GB hard drive space.
I am multi-booting on a hard drive with NINE Linux systems. Each one is installed on a 7 GB space.
Of course if you want to store a bunch of video files you should use a separate storage partition or drive, such as a USB drive, which can be read from your less-than 7 GB operating installation , wit the appropriate mount.

Sleven
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Sleven » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:22 pm

Stan you are correct, I have 5 linux systems installed myself, 3 of then with a small /root and other partitions for /home and /data, but Keshin is brand new to linux and having some issues just setting up a single partition, thats why I made the 12G partition suggestion. Seemed like the easiest way to get him up and running. 4G for the system and 8G to play with and only one partition. Is that the best way to do it, probably not. Is it the easiest way for someone who has just started using Linux, possibly.

Keshin, if you really want to learn about Linux and partitioning,
Boot into your Windows
Uninstall every program that you do not use.
Back up your data then remove it from the HDD
Defrag the HDD until is is completely defraged
Then use Gparted to reduce the size of your Windows partition leaving about 20% free,
i.e. if your HDD has 20G of used space make the partition 24G
That leaves you 50G to play with
Then install 3 different Debian based Linux systems (I suggest Debian because you are already using Mint)
Experiment using different partitioning schemes
After you have over written your MBR a few times causing your system not to be bootable at all and cripple a few OSs
you should have plenty of partitioning experience

Whats the easiest way to start a heated debate in any Linux forum?

Simply suggest what you think is the best partitioning scheme to use.

feed3
Level 4
Level 4

Post by feed3 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 7:18 am

Keshin wrote: My Linux Mint is installed in Windows, and I made it quite small ...
However, I do not seem to have a partition so I don't know how to change it to make it bigger. I don't really want to uninstall Linux to make a larger one, and I installed it Linux through a mounted .iso

... I don't want to delete Linux or Windows (although I'd like Linux to load up by default nowadays instead of Windows) because one can be for video-gaming and one for casual use.
1. You are using mint4win, so you actually install it to a virtual partition, not the real partition thus you can see and alter the partition size. previously you can use LVPM to resize your root.disk in linuxmint folder in your c drive. but at their website, it no longer supportted from 10.04 so either you made a backup, uninstall it from your win, then install it again but with bigger spaces, restore your backup OR google another ways.

2. from your win xp, click start menu -> right click on my computer -> properties, advance, startup and recovery, choose mint.

Sleven
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Sleven » Sat Mar 26, 2011 1:08 pm

Sorry Keshin, I think I may have misunderstood what you want to do.
I don't have the Live CD (but I have it at my old man's, where it strangely freaks out when I try to install Mint)
(although I'd like Linux to load up by default nowadays instead of Windows)
The "I try to install Mint" and "instead of Windows" made me think you wanted Linux running the show and not Windows, my bad.

It is still a good idea to run Piriform's Ccleaner and Defragler as I described in my first post above,
in addition, if your still going to be running Mint virtually under Windows, there is a registry cleaner in Ccleaner
that works great, just make sure you chose yes when prompted to do a backup of the registry just in case.
I have performed these actions using the two programs on hundreds of client computers with not one instance
of any problems at all, but anytime you change the registry, you want to be safe and back it up first.

There are a few more tricks to use if you want to optimize your Windows OS, if you are interested, just PM here at the forum.

Keshin
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Keshin » Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:57 pm

Thank you for the replies so far, guys. I'm paying attention, even if I'm not the most active member yet.

So since I'm on Mint4Win, it looks like it's going to be tricky to do? Oh joy. If anyone knows anything I can use, please don't be shy to let me know. I suppose I could uninstall and reinstall, but it then appears as though I have to, y'know, install Wireless and themes and everything. I'll do it if need be though. I've moved most of the music and images and so on I've saved to Windows just in case I do (did it by using nautilus to go into root and find my My Pictures and cut and paste them there. How awesome am I for a newbie? :D)

I'm down my old man's right now and on Windows. Came down to get the Live CD (downloaded newest one). It's weird, it's become surprisingly frustrating to have to use Windows for some reason, already.

I dunno if this seems like I'm dragging it off topic, but I have three more newbie questions:

1. My old man's got a Flatron LG TV-Monitor. Trying to install Linux on his PC, it freaks out. "Out of Range" goes the monitor. I've tried:

Code: Select all

quiet splash [deleted]
[replaced with] ro single vga=791 (and 773)
...in both standard and compatibility mode. It doesn't do anything.

Suggestions, guys?

2. Can I use Linux Mint to boot up from a USB?
3. What other Linux types do you suggest, Debian (I think that's the type I'm using) based? Things with a Graphical User Interface and newb friendly, preferably that I can install through Windows to try?

Thank you! :)

Sleven
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Sleven » Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:40 pm

Hi Keshin

1. You might want to start a new threat (in hardware support) with a different topic to get an answer on this one.

2. Yes. You can install to a USB drive directly,or you could use UNetbootin to create a live USB, or LiLi to create a live USB with the ability to store data and install programs.

http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/
http://www.linuxliveusb.com/en/download

3. Ubuntu or Debian 6
It's weird, it's become surprisingly frustrating to have to use Windows for some reason, already
preferably that I can install through Windows to try
Take the plunge Keshin, install Linux next to your Windows in it's own partition and boot directly into your Linux OS.
I have never understood the reasoning or appeal behind wanting to run a Linux OS under Windows, but
maybe that is due to the reason I wanted to use Linux to begin with, to get the hell away from M$ Window$

I still want to drive my Ford, but when I start it up, I want it to look and act like a Chevy.
Probably not the best analogy but it works.

feed3
Level 4
Level 4

Post by feed3 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:37 pm

Sleven wrote: Take the plunge Keshin, install Linux next to your Windows in it's own partition and boot directly into your Linux OS..
+1 that's better way to do it so that these kind of things won't happen anymore. As for mistake, once is more than enough isn't it? :)
Sleven wrote: I have never understood the reasoning or appeal behind wanting to run a Linux OS under Windows, but
maybe that is due to the reason I wanted to use Linux to begin with, to get the hell away from M$ Window$
mint4win is extremely useful for people like me.. i have one family pc at home where mint isadora is our main OS triple boot with hackintosh and windows 7 as my brother need win for his programming subject at school. but, most of my computing time are at my workplace where i can't do multiboot here (not allowed by management! :twisted: ) so mint4win is the only way.. wonder how if one day there is no mint4win anymore :cry: must be a hell for me here at my workplace to stare at that super duper boring windows xp/7 :cry:

SimonTS
Level 6
Level 6

Post by SimonTS » Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:08 am

You say that you can't do multiboot on your work PC - fairly understandable given that most IT departments wouldn't want to be sorting out any problems caused by this. However, could you not create yourself a USB bootable Mint (2 partitions - one for OS, one for data, changes etc), and just boot your work PC off that when you wanted to use Mint? That way you wouldn't interfere with your work hard-drive, but would get your kicks as you wanted.

randomizer
Level 5
Level 5

Post by randomizer » Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:50 am

If you back up everything in your home directory and install Mint using Mint4Win again you should be able to restore all themes and configuration pretty easily. Just make sure to back it up outside the loop-mounted virtual disk, ie. on a USB flash drive or on a "real" partition.

feed3
Level 4
Level 4

Post by feed3 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:53 am

SimonTS wrote:You say that you can't do multiboot on your work PC - fairly understandable given that most IT departments wouldn't want to be sorting out any problems caused by this.
Actually, i'm one of them in that I.T department.. :) The problem is, i'm not the BOSS, just a lowly analyst though.. :lol:
SimonTS wrote:However, could you not create yourself a USB bootable Mint (2 partitions - one for OS, one for data, changes etc), and just boot your work PC off that when you wanted to use Mint?
Done that way several years.. Still booting from USB for distro hopping purpose till now.. Can't work effectively that way, this mint via mint4win totally for work,say to access our servers using Remmina (though had to reboot and go into win xp sometimes when i have to print using those dot matrix printer, not bother about it much since it is just for several occasion only..) and sometimes had to keep my pc on for several days. :) so far, happy to work this way.. :D

SimonTS
Level 6
Level 6

Post by SimonTS » Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:26 am

Ok then. Reply from an earlier thread - http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=53313 - that seems to do what you need;-

You will need to download LVPM (from http://lubi.sourceforge.net/lvpm.html ) and use GDebi to install it. You may have to install GDebi (use the Synaptic Package Manager). Then use the following as discussed at: http://lubi.sourceforge.net/lvpm.html :

Resizing virtual disks using LVPM (not necessary if you're transferring the install to a dedicated partition)

Run LVPM, and once the menu appears, select either "resizehome" (to resize the /home virtual disk) or "resizeroot" (to resize the / virtual disk).

Input the new size, in MB, of the virtual disk.

Wait until the program finishes creating a new disks file and copying files from original home disk file; it will pop up a final instruction window instructing to backup the original home disk file and renaming the newly created disk file

Boot into windows and navigate to c:\wubi\disks, move the old virtual disk to a different folder as backup, and rename new.virtual.disk to home.virtual.disk (if you used resizehome) or system.virtual.disk (if you used resizeroot)

Reboot into Mint

Hope that may be of some help to you.

Keshin
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Keshin » Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:07 am

Well guys, I don't know what happened, but I screwed up the resizing and ended up just uninstalling and then installing as a bigger partition on Mint4Win. Oops. :D

Next time, though, next time. ;)

Return to “Newbie Questions”