get rid of Authentication Dialog box for admin actions.

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
undernet
Level 1
Level 1

get rid of Authentication Dialog box for admin actions.

Post by undernet » Sat Mar 26, 2011 1:44 pm

Hi

I do not want to enter any password to perform admin operations (like mounting). I have edited my sudoers file and added myusername ALL = NOPASSWD: ALL.

This allows me to use sudo and gksudo in a terminal without a password prompt. However performing an admin operation outside of the terminal brings up an GUI Authentication Dialog box asking for my password. (eg. clicking on a drive in nautilus will try to mount which needs admin rights). How do I prevent this from happening without having to launch programs like nautilus as a superuser all the time? I used to use the root account in ubuntu and I never got this box up because I was root but I don't want to have to switch to the root account just to make this silly Dialog box go away. I know the risks of not asking for a password for admin operations but the password required for login is good enough for my needs.
Last edited by undernet on Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gn2
Level 5
Level 5

Re: get rid of Authentication Dialog box for admin actions.

Post by gn2 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 3:35 pm

undernet wrote:~ I used to use the root account in ubuntu ~
Unless you create one, Ubuntu doesn't have a root account.

undernet
Level 1
Level 1

Post by undernet » Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:07 pm

yes I did create a root account in ubuntu. I had what I wanted (not having to enter any passwords for anything). However many programs either do not run or do not run properly as root (eg VLC player). So i'm on a user account now but I still don't want any password prompts.

Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Fred » Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:37 pm

I just don't get it. I keep seeing threads like this one and it makes no sense to me. I am assuming, wrongly maybe, that people are moving over to Linux for the additional security and stability that Linux offers. But then one of the first things they want to do is find ways of defeating the structures that provide those very benefits.

If you want a system that works like windows and is as insecure and unstable as windows, why not just run windows? Nothing will be as windows-like as windows itself.

Oh well!

Fred
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and each time expecting a different result.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on the menu. Liberty is an armed lamb protesting the electoral outcome. A Republic negates the need for an armed protest.

rhodry
Level 4
Level 4

Post by rhodry » Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:53 pm

Fred wrote:I just don't get it. I keep seeing threads like this one and it makes no sense to me. I am assuming, wrongly maybe, that people are moving over to Linux for the additional security and stability that Linux offers. But then one of the first things they want to do is find ways of defeating the structures that provide those very benefits.

If you want a system that works like windows and is as insecure and unstable as windows, why not just run windows? Nothing will be as windows-like as windows itself.

Oh well!

Fred
Could not agree more Fred! I don't even bother responding to threads about "I want it to be more like Windows" anymore, even if I know the method. That's not the same as "how do I do what I did in Windows" of course. I suspect this security dumb down and stuff like that is because the interpretation (and therefore attraction) of "free" operating system is misguided.

To each their own I guess?!

Rhodry.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...
it's about learning to dance in the rain.

undernet
Level 1
Level 1

Post by undernet » Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:28 pm

I understand that people want a secure system. I have a Linux server and would never dream of disabling the password system on it but single user personal desktops for power users is another matter. I only allow Internet access to certain apps by using programs under specified group names and then either enabling or disabling them access via iptables. I also check that package updates for programs are from trusted sources as well.

Having a secure system does not mean the user experience should be compromised as a result. Asking for passwords just to mount drives in nautilus compromises the ease of use of using my pc. It should be up to users to choose how much security they want or do not want depending on their experience and what they are using their computer for. I have a single user development PC that has no net access, having to ask passwords for things is just pointless in this scenario so thats why I'm asking how to get rid of the Authentication Dialog box.

this = new Rant(){

Windows sucks because its full of security holes due to poor testing of code, its as simple as that. Asking for passwords for admin operations may reduce the damage done once the holes are exploited but it only treats the symptoms not the cause. You only have to look how much complaining there has been about windows UAC in vista to see that people dislike the concept of having to click through hoops just to give authorization to programs.

Due to the open source nature of Linux, bugs are found sooner, often before general release by both developers and third party users, thats why Linux is more secure, because the good people find the bugs and fix them before the bad people do. It has nothing to do with asking for passwords for operations, although I do agree that they can add another layer of security.

The point I'm trying to make is that passwords should not be needed (apart from initial profile login) for admin operations. The developers should be the ones deciding what programs have the right to change which files. Shifting the burden to users compromises ease of use for them. As I said above, ease of use should not be compromised in the name of security. Its up to developers to write secure code and assign permissions to programs and files so users can experience both security and usability at the same time.

This can be accomplished via blacklists and white-lists for programs and packages and strong peer review and certification for all packages on a distro, as well as third party libraries. IMO any app that want net access should run inside a sandbox so even if its exploited the damage is limited only to the program in question. Another option is to lock down certain functionality so only programs that the developers trust can perform certain operations (like mounting and package installation). This functionality already exists to a certain extent in the form of SELinux but its often distributed turned off or completly unconfigured.

};
Last edited by undernet on Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ThistleWeb
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ThistleWeb » Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:35 pm

Hmm, I've never been asked for a password to mount a drive, well, apart from my NAS volume but that's password protected so I'd expect that. Maybe it'd be a better approach to look at what groups your user account is in.
Crivens!

Daevyd
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Daevyd » Sat Apr 23, 2011 5:55 pm

@Undernet: I get what you're saying. Everytime I try to access my Windows computer from my Mint 9 station running the KDE desktop I have to click a BUNCH of Authorization Dialogs and STILL get no access. I didn't have this problem when I ran Mint 9 using the Gnome desktop. I would switch back but I really like the KDE environment. Any help with this from ANYone is MUCH appreciated.

harper
Level 2
Level 2

Post by harper » Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:09 pm

I was just thinking the same thing. I get "enter password for admin action" type boxes a lot and wondered if I could disable this. Will it really open me up safety wise if I am the only user?

grey1960envoy
Level 4
Level 4

Post by grey1960envoy » Sat Apr 23, 2011 7:41 pm

Personally I don't know what the big deal is with people wanting to disable a safety feature but to each their own I guess. My computer is only used by me and my wife but we never even considered removing the password .
In a perfect world everything has it's place, Linux on my computer, windows on the wall, and M$ in the trash!
CrunchBang, LMDE, Mint 9 ,Peppermint Hackintosh and a few others :) Registered ...Machine; #432150 user ;#530829

harper
Level 2
Level 2

Post by harper » Sat Apr 23, 2011 7:46 pm

grey1960envoy wrote:Personally I don't know what the big deal is with people wanting to disable a safety feature but to each their own I guess. My computer is only used by me and my wife but we never even considered removing the password .
That's what I am asking as newbie. What safety does it provide if I am the only one ever using the machine? It's an extra step that is annoying at times. Sort of like when Gmail changed their menus and went from one click log off to 3 steps. If there is a reason I don't understand I would leave it alone but why do I need it?

gn2
Level 5
Level 5

Post by gn2 » Sat Apr 23, 2011 7:56 pm

harper wrote: If there is a reason I don't understand I would leave it alone but why do I need it?
Malware.

Daevyd
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Daevyd » Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:57 pm

Okay, fine. We need safety. I get that but this Authorization Dialogue is keeping me from accessing my files even when I enter the correct info so how do we get around it? Or at least answer the question of WHY does it pop up over and over and over and over without letting me gain access to my files? Even when I'm in as root?

gn2
Level 5
Level 5

Post by gn2 » Sat Apr 23, 2011 11:09 pm

Daevyd wrote:~ answer the question of WHY does it pop up over and over and over and over without letting me gain access to my files?
It shouldn't.
Daevyd wrote:Even when I'm in as root?
You shouldn't.

colyn
Level 6
Level 6

Post by colyn » Sat Apr 23, 2011 11:53 pm

harper wrote:
grey1960envoy wrote:Personally I don't know what the big deal is with people wanting to disable a safety feature but to each their own I guess. My computer is only used by me and my wife but we never even considered removing the password .
That's what I am asking as newbie. What safety does it provide if I am the only one ever using the machine? It's an extra step that is annoying at times. Sort of like when Gmail changed their menus and went from one click log off to 3 steps. If there is a reason I don't understand I would leave it alone but why do I need it?
Rootkits...........

This is why you need the security. Without security if you download a file with a rootkit attached, it will have free access to your root files which will then give an outside source complete access to your system.

With security the rootkit can only access your /home files which causes no real harm..

Daevyd
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Daevyd » Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:04 am

gn2 wrote:
Daevyd wrote:~ answer the question of WHY does it pop up over and over and over and over without letting me gain access to my files?
It shouldn't.
Daevyd wrote:Even when I'm in as root?
You shouldn't.

Okay. So how do I fix it so that it works properly? I couldn't deal with that so i reinstalled Mint 9 Gnome but I still would like to know the answer to this issue so that I may use the KDE desktop in the future.

yerverluvinunclebert
Level 1
Level 1

Post by yerverluvinunclebert » Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:21 am

This isn't a new post but I had to register just to respond to this one.

The original post was a simple request on how to get rid of Authentication Dialog box for admin actions. No-one seems to have actually responded with an answer as to how, just a load of waffle about why would you want to do such a thing?

Let us set the record straight, no decent operating system would do anything so pointless as to nag a privileged user on a continuous basis as to whether they actually want to do the thing they just explicitly stated they wanted to do. The UAC in Windows was just such a nag that drove people crazy. It is fine for naive telly-tubby users who don't know what they are doing but for grown-ups it is annoying and pointless nag. It should be switchable for those with a bit of a brain.

I have been using grown-up o/s for decades and I understand the issues with logging in on a privileged account. Security is important but it is achieved in other ways and not with a nag that pops up every now and then. We don't have to go into what those methods are as they should be obvious to any decent sys admin/system manager regardless of the o/s.

All we need is a simple answer to the question : "how do we get rid of Authentication Dialog box for admin actions?"

I don't have that answer being from a Vax/VMS and Windows background but would really appreciate a straight technical response as to how to do it. :D

gn2
Level 5
Level 5

Post by gn2 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:23 am

It's easy to do, Google will tell you how if you really want to find out.

Return to “Newbie Questions”