from ubuntu to mint

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
lizbeth
Level 4
Level 4

from ubuntu to mint

Post by lizbeth »

is there an easy way without reinstalling everything all over again?

SimonTS
Level 6
Level 6

Re: from ubuntu to mint

Post by SimonTS »

I'm very reticent to say "No", because there will always be somebody who turns up and points out that you can do so, if you change this, that and the other. The short answer, however, is no. I've looked into this before now, and the general opinion is that it is almost impossible, could cause problems down the line and generally it's far easier to just back up your documents, firefox, thunderbird etc settings and install Mint fresh.

gimcrack
Level 1
Level 1

Post by gimcrack »

What's wrong to start all over again? I do every 3-12 months at a time. I'm a Linux hopping hog. I have all my data nice and neat on my external drives. I simply put a CD/DVD Linux Live Disk in & boot off of it. Then I click onto install & choose the whole HD. Then the fun begins again, get everything working again, adding all the codec's, add all my favorite apps, & then my personal settings. It really doesn't take that long. And anyway I don't do it all at once, little here and a little there. This how I can play with all the default apps & settings to see if I like anything better. And it also gets me use to different Linux distros & Terminal commands.

Anyway its better to start fresh from any distro

feed3
Level 4
Level 4

Post by feed3 »

it is doable though you will face some problems and the "feels" is not totally mint. had done it before, see at
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... ed#p270877

so, as the others said, better to start fresh and while you "know" that you will installing a new fresh mint, why don't you play around with your current installation, try all the things that you afraid until you bork down your system :D thats how i learn and play all these time.. but BACKUP your data first :!: :)

lizbeth
Level 4
Level 4

Post by lizbeth »

Everything you all said seems so veryincorrect. in fact i copied the sources.list from the apt directory of a linux mint install and install it to the apt directory of an ubuntu install and walla... i did an update then an upgrade then went into synaptic to add the mint meta packages... looked for the latest linux-image-2.6.35.25 and linux header-2.6.35.25 and install those also and rebooted straight into mint with all the artwork and sound and files and everything... it was so easy i don't know why you all make it out to be difficult... is there an agenda at work here i wonder?

SimonTS
Level 6
Level 6

Post by SimonTS »

@ Lizbeth,

Go on girl - that's the way to do it. Keep an eye on the install as you now have it, but if it seems stable then well done. As I said - when I looked into it everything seemed to suggest that it was not a good idea. If you've managed to do it that simply, then good on you.

Perhaps if it remains stable then you should document exactly what steps you took, versions of Ubuntu, Mint etc and post it back here - maybe someone will make it a sticky and you'll be famous for all time on the Mint board.

gn2
Level 5
Level 5

Post by gn2 »

lizbeth wrote:Everything you all said seems so veryincorrect. in fact i copied the sources.list from the apt directory of a linux mint install and install it to the apt directory of an ubuntu install and walla...
That's the other way around from what's being asked though.

feed3
Level 4
Level 4

Post by feed3 »

lizbeth wrote:Everything you all said seems so veryincorrect. in fact i copied the sources.list from the apt directory of a linux mint install and install it to the apt directory of an ubuntu install and walla... i did an update then an upgrade then went into synaptic to add the mint meta packages... looked for the latest linux-image-2.6.35.25 and linux header-2.6.35.25 and install those also and rebooted straight into mint with all the artwork and sound and files and everything... it was so easy i don't know why you all make it out to be difficult... is there an agenda at work here i wonder?
Its DAMN easy for intermediate users, extremely easy for experts users, but i think we all who responded ASSUME the you is NEW to mint thus reflected from where is the section you posted the question.

An agenda? I'm pretty sure for distro hoppers, our agenda is to play around with our OS, borking our system is not an issues at all but assuming what is asked,we assumed you don't want to start from beginning thus for sure you dont want to bork currently installed system.

As i said,
it is doable though you will face some problems and the "feels" is not totally mint. had done it before, see at
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... ed#p270877
i even give you the link to screenshots of my mintified lucid, so given your statement
Everything you all said seems so veryincorrect
it seems you are the one who seems read the reply so incorrectly :oops:

to sum it up, no agenda here, only misunderstanding i suppose? happy minting though.. cheers.. :)

Return to “Newbie Questions”