Help: Screen flickering on Install

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
robm78

Help: Screen flickering on Install

Post by robm78 »

Hey everyone, new guy here on the forums as well as with linux.

I have googled the hell out of my problem and I may have missed something but the only things I see that are similiar to my problem is that the screen flickers for movies and what not.

My problem is that I just burned a copy of Mint 10 to my disk and when it loads up, the screen starts flickering like crazy from the very beginning... Here is a short video of what it's doing.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JNx0oKh1a0

Just to make sure I wasn't doing anything wrong, I downloaded another version of Linux just to test it and it did the same exact thing. I have read that there are commands and what not you need to change when you are in linux to fix the problem but I can't even install it.

I am using a Radeon ATI HD 5700 series video card

I would appreciate ANY help.... I'm dieing to get on and learn Linux... Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
willie42
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Help: Screen flickering on Install

Post by willie42 »

have you checked your cable to your Monitor? Does it boot to the live disk and does it come up completely?
Comptia A+ Certified Technician
Comptia Network + Certified Technician
You can not have Success without Failures.
robm78

Post by robm78 »

My cable is fine... everything works absolutely perfect except installing linux...

It boots up, says mint or whatever and then starts flickering ...I can see it loading in the center of my screen barely and after awhile it just goes black and flickers a tiny bit... I'll post a more detailed video when I get back from class.

I have posted the problem on 3 different forums and no one has been able to figure it out so far.
SimonTS

Post by SimonTS »

I assume that the LiveCD/USB is what you are loading off? When you get the very first menu screen, try running Mint in 'Compatability' Mode. If that doesn't work then you will almost certainly need to edit the command that is triggered by GRUB (at the selection menu press <TAB> to edit, then insert one or other of these commands before the final --

nomodeset
xforcevesa
video=LVDS-1:d
video=VGA-1:e

Also try modifying the existing entry to nosplash & noquiet - you may get more info.
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

I'd also like to add ; be sure to find out the proper/minimum/maximum screen resolutions for that big screen tv. Your trouble is that the tv's capabilities aren't being detected during the boot process. VGA Cable ? DVI ? or HDMI ?

We don't mind helping our Ubuntu friends, are you getting help at their forums too ?
robm78

Post by robm78 »

hahaha, its actually just a big computer monitor and not a TV....although it's the size of a small TV...liol

Well, I plan on using Ubuntu and Mint.... I'm trying to get as much Linux experience as I possibly can :) Yes, I have asked on Ubuntu forums as well as linuxquestions forums and everyone is pretty silent on the subject. I showed some people in class last night and it's the first time they had seen it as well.

*update* I ran it on my laptop last night and it worked perfectly....I wonder if its the ATI card? I'm gonna give them a call later but I'm not sure if it's their department or not.

Return to “Beginner Questions”