MintInstall keeps asking for password

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
yetimann
Level 1
Level 1

MintInstall keeps asking for password

Post by yetimann »

So the title basically says it all: Everytime I want to install or remove an application I need to enter my password. But why do I need to enter it EVERY SINGLE TIME? In Ubuntu I need to enter it once for installing and once for removing applications as long as the Software Center is active. This is okay but why should I enter it every single time? E.g. if I remove OpenOffice Writer I need to enter it and after that I remove e.g. OpenOffice Calc and I need to enter it again. :evil:

Is there any way to end this annoying authentification-process without completely "shutting it down", thus creating an insecure system (%admin ALL=(ALL) NOPASSWD:ALL)? Just like in Ubuntu where you need to enter it once for installing and once for removing, but not for every single application.

Thank you in advance.

ThistleWeb
Level 5
Level 5

Re: MintInstall keeps asking for password

Post by ThistleWeb »

It can appear like that, it's not really. The apps doing it are sudo and gksu which allow you temporarily to do a root task. They remember your authentication for something like 5 minutes or 5 commands, before you're asked again. So you can do 4 or 5 root tasks in a row from the terminal without needing to add sudo in front of it. It also lets you quickly reopen a root GUI app like Synaptic without asking you again if it wasn't that long ago you had it open. Some applications allow you the choice to "remember for session, remember permanently or forget", but only some. As far as I know sudo / gksu works the same in Mint as Ubuntu.
Crivens!

yetimann
Level 1
Level 1

Post by yetimann »

ThistleWeb wrote:It can appear like that, it's not really. The apps doing it are sudo and gksu which allow you temporarily to do a root task. They remember your authentication for something like 5 minutes or 5 commands, before you're asked again. So you can do 4 or 5 root tasks in a row from the terminal without needing to add sudo in front of it. It also lets you quickly reopen a root GUI app like Synaptic without asking you again if it wasn't that long ago you had it open. Some applications allow you the choice to "remember for session, remember permanently or forget", but only some. As far as I know sudo / gksu works the same in Mint as Ubuntu.
Yes, that's what I meant. In the Ubuntu Software Center the authentication is remembered for as long as I use the application (or for 15 minutes, I can't remember it correctly). But in Mint I am asked for every single action I do in MintInstall and I wanted to find a solution for this problem. Is there any way to remember the authentication for as long as MintInstall is running or for 15 Minutes or something like that? It is very annoying to install a few applications and type in the password over and over again.

yetimann
Level 1
Level 1

Post by yetimann »

Nobody? Is it just me who is annoyed of typing in my password for every installation and removal over and over again?

thouartsimple
Level 3
Level 3

Post by thouartsimple »

This is normal, I think nothing of it... it's more security for my system. In Linux, you can't just change whatever when you are logged into your user account without root... like Windows. That's why Windows systems are so prone to malware and viruses because as soon as you download it, they have unrestricted access to your system folders like Windows, the registry, and Program Files. In Linux, all it has access to is your home directory... so it can mess up your files and configurations, but that's about it. So hackers don't even bother most of the time as it's not worth it.
-Nick

Laptop: PCLinuxOS KDE (Toshiba Satellite A305D)
Desktop: LM11 Katya Gnome, LM10 Julia KDE, PCLinuxOS KDE, LM10 Julia LXDE, Bodhi Linux (All 32-bit, custom built PC)

ThistleWeb
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ThistleWeb »

yetimann wrote:Nobody? Is it just me who is annoyed of typing in my password for every installation and removal over and over again?
Linux is not Windows, it's not meant to be Windows. Some superficial things are very similar, but the Windows "run as administrator" is a HUGE part of why it's so insecure. Continually trying to change Linux to be more Windows like will only be annoying and frustrating. It's much easier to embrace Linux for what it is, and learn to adapt. There's a lot of things Windows does as standard that your mind is conditioned to think is "the right way", when it's really just "the Windows way, designed to ensure Microsoft profit".

FOSS is a lifelong learning and teaching experience. It's amazing the difference when stuff is designed to be the most efficient way of tackling a problem, compared to stuff that's designed with profit in mind.
Crivens!

SimonTS
Level 6
Level 6

Post by SimonTS »

I have to admit, and I may be slightly perverse because of it, but I actually kinda like having to enter my password whenever I want to change anything. It reassures me that my system is still safe and secure, and means I know that nothing's going to come along and 'toast' it just for fun.

thouartsimple
Level 3
Level 3

Post by thouartsimple »

SimonTS wrote:I have to admit, and I may be slightly perverse because of it, but I actually kinda like having to enter my password whenever I want to change anything. It reassures me that my system is still safe and secure, and means I know that nothing's going to come along and 'toast' it just for fun.
Exactly how I feel. I enjoy the sense of security.
-Nick

Desktop: LM11 Katya Gnome, LM10 Julia KDE, PCLinuxOS KDE, LM10 Julia LXDE, Bodhi Linux (All 32-bit, custom built PC)

ThistleWeb
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ThistleWeb »

The other thing to keep in mind, is that Windows was built as a single user system, everything else is a bolt on, trying to wedge an imperfect solution on very late in the game where it doesn't really fit. Unix / Linux was built right from the bottom up as a multi user system with a very distinct separation between root / user. In Linux you're only asked for permission when it's an admin or system wide task you're trying to do. Usually after you set up your system, most of the admin stuff is like a once-per-week update, the rest of the time nothing gets in your way, and you know you have a level of protection in place all the time.
Crivens!

yetimann
Level 1
Level 1

Post by yetimann »

thouartsimple wrote:This is normal, I think nothing of it... it's more security for my system. In Linux, you can't just change whatever when you are logged into your user account without root... like Windows. That's why Windows systems are so prone to malware and viruses because as soon as you download it, they have unrestricted access to your system folders like Windows, the registry, and Program Files. In Linux, all it has access to is your home directory... so it can mess up your files and configurations, but that's about it. So hackers don't even bother most of the time as it's not worth it.
I know and that's great in Linux. But Ubuntu is as secure as Mint and in the Ubuntu Software Center you don't have to always enter your password for every action you do. You just open the Software Center, choose an app to install and enter your password. After that you can install as many apps as you like to - until you quit the Software Center.
But in Mint I start MintInstall, choose an app to install or remove and I am asked for the password. After that the authentication is lost and I need to enter my password again for every install or removal of software.
So does no one except me want a feature in MintInstall to remember the authentication for as long as MintInstall is running? Just like in the Ubuntu Software Center: Open MintInstall, choose an app to remove or install, enter your password and you don't have to enter it again for installing or removing the next app.

Something like this (remember authorization), just for MintInstall: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=36377

lmintnewb

Post by lmintnewb »

You could log-in as root apparently. But according to all the folks who know linux much better than I do, it's a bad idea. Entering a password, provided you've chosen a reasonable one isn't a big deal. Takes me all of 2 secs to do.

That feature is there to protect people using the software and I've adjusted to the occasional password requirement. If you're downloading 14,000 packages ... Would have to ask ... why ? No way you'll ever use or need them, shrugs.

One thing I'd add too. You could always pay M$ a $100 bucks for an OS that constantly has to be tweaked, patched ... 32,000 security and 3rd party utilities to keep it working. Then almost certainly will still run into problems, crash on you and have to go through much pain to restore. Or use Mint 100% freely. Where I come from, that's called a no brainer decision.

Sure you could also learn to batch them and install as many as you like ( a script etc.) Well more like let Linux finish doing it while ya watch TV.
Last edited by lmintnewb on Sat Apr 09, 2011 4:04 pm, edited 3 times in total.

AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

If you're downloading many packages at once, copy/paste your password... Or use Synaptic.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.

thouartsimple
Level 3
Level 3

Post by thouartsimple »

yetimann wrote:
thouartsimple wrote:This is normal, I think nothing of it... it's more security for my system. In Linux, you can't just change whatever when you are logged into your user account without root... like Windows. That's why Windows systems are so prone to malware and viruses because as soon as you download it, they have unrestricted access to your system folders like Windows, the registry, and Program Files. In Linux, all it has access to is your home directory... so it can mess up your files and configurations, but that's about it. So hackers don't even bother most of the time as it's not worth it.
I know and that's great in Linux. But Ubuntu is as secure as Mint and in the Ubuntu Software Center you don't have to always enter your password for every action you do. You just open the Software Center, choose an app to install and enter your password. After that you can install as many apps as you like to - until you quit the Software Center.
But in Mint I start MintInstall, choose an app to install or remove and I am asked for the password. After that the authentication is lost and I need to enter my password again for every install or removal of software.
So does no one except me want a feature in MintInstall to remember the authentication for as long as MintInstall is running? Just like in the Ubuntu Software Center: Open MintInstall, choose an app to remove or install, enter your password and you don't have to enter it again for installing or removing the next app.

Something like this (remember authorization), just for MintInstall: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=36377
Sorry about that, I misunderstood. I don't recall too well how Ubuntu did it (and I was just using it last week, says something, eh?), but I am so used to the password that I don't think twice about entering it.
-Nick

jwillar
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jwillar »

I agree with yetimann. I'm a recent Ubuntu refuge (unity pushed me away). As long as the 'Software Manage' is running, after authentication of course, I see no advantage for Mint to nag the user to re-authenticate themselves for every application install/removal. My question is, can anyone suggest how Mint could be altered to behave this way w/o removing all authentication requirements? :?

monkeyboy
Level 5
Level 5

Post by monkeyboy »

Perhaps the catch phrase should be changed to "Mint is not Windows or Ubuntu" :D
If you don't like it, make something better
If you can't make something better, adapt
If you can't do either ball your panties up and cry.

Complaining is like masticating most anyone can do it.
However doing it in public is really hardcore.

Malibu Stacey
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Malibu Stacey »

thouartsimple wrote:That's why Windows systems are so prone to malware and viruses because as soon as you download it, they have unrestricted access to your system folders like Windows, the registry, and Program Files.
Only if you log in using an account with Administrator permissions. Which is exactly the same as logging in to a Linux system as root. If you use a normal user account on Windows & use a separate account to elevate permissions when required (basically replicating the use of sudo in Linux environments) any malware or virus you download would be restricted to your profile.
ThistleWeb wrote:Linux is not Windows, it's not meant to be Windows. Some superficial things are very similar, but the Windows "run as administrator" is a HUGE part of why it's so insecure.
Actually "Run as Administrator" (I assume you're referring to User Access Control here) is one of the things which makes Windows more secure. It's a direct copy from Mac OS/Linux & ironically it gets the same complaints from undereducated users as the OP's post.
ThistleWeb wrote:The other thing to keep in mind, is that Windows was built as a single user system, everything else is a bolt on, trying to wedge an imperfect solution on very late in the game where it doesn't really fit.
If the only versions of Windows ever released were 95/98/ME you'd be correct but the Windows NT platform was & always has been a multi-user system. I guess 1993 is pretty "late in the game".
ThistleWeb wrote:In Linux you're only asked for permission when it's an admin or system wide task you're trying to do. Usually after you set up your system, most of the admin stuff is like a once-per-week update, the rest of the time nothing gets in your way, and you know you have a level of protection in place all the time.
Funnily enough I know of many people who've been using Windows exactly as you describe for the last decade.

You can't blame everything users of the operating system bring upon themselves on the design of the system if the users abuse the mechanics put in place to protect them.

So much mis/dis-information in this thread. I get that you're all fervent rabid lunixmonsters on this forum but just making stuff up to fit your view of the world is pretty low.

beatnikqueen
Level 1
Level 1

Post by beatnikqueen »

So, I get that having to type a password = secure and all that but... well, I used Linux Mint 10 very happily. Had some trouble with touchpad, sound and wifi that kept not working fine on some boots (had to restart to make everything work fine - no, I couldn't find a way or the correct codes to restart thru the terminal, to save the hassle, I restarted) but then, long story short, I decided to have a go with Mint 11, since I loved Mint from the Mint 8 I tried some years ago.

What was cool with Mint 10 was that, when I typed my password, I often had a little key apprearing in the panel that meant I could do stuff as root for some time (some minutes but enough to install stuff, move protected files on the system, etc.). I stopped using the Software Manager because, there, I had that nagging password prompt for EVERY single thing I wished to install. But now, on Mint 11, it's actually gotten worse !!!!!! I now have to, basically, type, as the OP stated, my password for every single action I wanna do whereas on Mint 10 I could remain under "administrative rights" for some minutes, just enough.

Why that ?? Is there truly not a way to customize this ? Say, a validity period for my password ? Really ? Seriously thinking of going back to Mint 9...

(yeah, I also get a lot of random reboots with 11 ... )

ThistleWeb
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ThistleWeb »

Malibu Stacey wrote:If the only versions of Windows ever released were 95/98/ME you'd be correct but the Windows NT platform was & always has been a multi-user system. I guess 1993 is pretty "late in the game".
Malibu Stacey wrote:So much mis/dis-information in this thread. I get that you're all fervent rabid lunixmonsters on this forum but just making stuff up to fit your view of the world is pretty low.
You took the words right out of my mouth. Interesting post for a newcomer to the forum, the entire post has more than a whiff of Microsoft revisionism trolling.
Crivens!

Inkit
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Inkit »

I think Albert's given you a good option. If you want to do a number of installations there is always synaptic. I agree that the software manager seems easier to use, but once you get the hang of it Synaptic is as good if not better, and you won't have to keep entering your password. If you want to search for software and check user ratings while still having package manager open, go to the software centre in the Mint site. It saves you from the conflict that you will get when you want to have two synaptics running.
@Malibu: I understand that you feel that we're all windows haters here. Who knows, you may even be right, but the information you have given about windows too is incomplete to say the least. If you did just a little more research you'll find it out by yourself.

barkhat
Level 2
Level 2

Post by barkhat »

I feel frustrated by this feature, too. I've used Mint since the early days and it seems that one didn't always have to continually authenticate (but maybe I'm not remembering correctly since I've used Min alongside other distros). Now I'm using 12/Lisa and I wish there was more of a grace period before having to authenticate. I've wanted to install many apps back-to-back that are just listed right on the same page, and each one requires that authentication. *Sigh* Well, I do use Synaptic, too, but now have also installed the Ubuntu Software Center for when I want to see a nice graphic image next to the name and such. Been installing this way now without problem. So, maybe you might try that if all else fails.

Return to “Newbie Questions”