Some questions ab partitions n backup

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
hearea
Level 1
Level 1

Some questions ab partitions n backup

Post by hearea »

Being a curious newbie, i've been reinstalling the os a dozen of times even since i started using Linux. Luckily i keep a seperate /home and also backup 'achieves' from /var/cache/apt to reinstall from synaptic manager, so it doesn't take as much time to setup the system as it used to. But, it still takes a lot of time.

So can you give me some tips about partitioning n backuping?

Should i create more partitions for /usr, /var n such? Which partitions need to be formatted when install a new system? ( cuz i tried reinstalling without formatting the hard drive once, but it doesn't help : i.e. sudoers or grub still have problem etc. n to a newbie like me, fixing those takes more time than reinstalling the os :D )

Asides from /var/cache/apt/achieves, are there any other folders i should backup? cuz it looks like it's not enough. When i add downloaded packages from synaptic, it still needs to download a lot of other packages, and after that, i still have to download some programs from Software Manager, then run Mint update again. ( but with less things need to be updated though )

viking777
Level 14
Level 14

Re: Some questions ab partitions n backup

Post by viking777 »

www.clonezilla.org

It aint pretty, but it sure saves you time.
Fujitsu Lifebook AH532. Intel i5 processor, 6Gb ram, Intel HD3000 graphics, Intel Audio/wifi. Realtek RTL8111/8168B Ethernet.Lubuntu 13.10,Ubuntu12.10 (Unity), Mint16 (Cinnamon), Manjaro (Xfce).

hearea
Level 1
Level 1

Post by hearea »

Thanks man, i'm checking it out :D

Jix
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Jix »

I also use clonezilla to backup and restore linux partitions. I format the partition with gparted then restore with clonezilla. It might look intimidating at first, you'll be happy with it.

Return to “Newbie Questions”