How do I run an installed program?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
gregzeng

How do I run an installed program?

Post by gregzeng »

I want to bench test the speed of my hard disk, before I install the new & bigger one. Synaptics tells me that BONNIE is installed.

I re-booted, search for it, and it was installed. I went to the command line interface, put in "bonnie" and ... nothing?

Where is it? Similarly I installed many other apps, but cannot find them on any of the many menus. What next?

Is this a Mint problem (Ubuntu based, uptodate drivers & apps, 32 bit, 4gb ram, I3 CPU, 500 GB HDD, ACER NOTEBOOK)

Mint will not allow me to use my usual Ubuntu admin password, which starts with a "Space" (space bar). So this Mint is not really Ubuntu based, is it?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
viking777

Re: How do I run an installed program?

Post by viking777 »

Synaptics tells me that BONNIE is installed.
In which case it will also tell you where it is installed. Right click 'Bonnie' select Properties/Installed Files. The executable will be probably in /bin or /usr/bin. Shortcuts to command line programs will never appear in any gui menu. Also you might like to run

Code: Select all

man Bonnie

or

Bonnie --help
For help with the program. (the letter B may not be upper case, I don't know).

As for passwords, I wouldn't think that a space would be an allowable character in a password, but I have never tried this.

Finally Mint is Ubuntu based yes but that doesn't mean it is exactly the same (thank the Lord!).
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

A seperate admin password is not default Ubuntu behaviour. You must have fiddled with the /etc/sudoers file or the user accounts settings to get a seperate login and admin password. If you can remember what you did on Ubuntu, you can do the same thing on Mint.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
Aging Technogeek

Post by Aging Technogeek »

To run the program, just enter

bonnie++ (option)
in terminal and wait for the results. It may take a while depending on system speed and hard drive size.

EDIT

Additional information

in terminal, enter

man bonnie++
to bring up the bonnie man pages. All required information on set up and running tests is there.
Last edited by Aging Technogeek on Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Add information
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

Don't forget to press Enter - this is what you have done?
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.

Return to “Beginner Questions”