tar.gz files, how to install them

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
gms9810
Level 1
Level 1

tar.gz files, how to install them

Post by gms9810 » Sun Apr 17, 2011 7:31 pm

Hi all,
I've been using linux for maybe 6 months now and for the most part we're getting along nicely. I still have a problem installing things from tar.gz files. I download them and extract them but every instruction or tutorial i've seen doesn't seem to work. My current dilemma is Gimp 2.7.2 and Libre office 3.3. I use Gimp on my Windows computer and open office and I'd like to try Gimp 2.7.2 and libre office on my linux machine but i CANNOT seem to do anything with the files now that i have them. Can anyone point me to a tutorial that works?

ThistleWeb
Level 5
Level 5

Re: tar.gz files, how to install them

Post by ThistleWeb » Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:26 pm

Those are compressed files, they can contain anything. It's like asking how to install a .zip or .rar file. Quite often the .tar.gz version of the download is the source code that you have to compile. It's often easier to search for a trustworthy PPA for the apps you want, ideally from the projects directly.
Crivens!

dagon
Level 7
Level 7

Post by dagon » Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:07 pm

The most common .tar.gz style projects are first extracted and then compiled and installed in three stages as such:
./configure
make
make install

In order for this to work you need to:
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=9234

Some projects depend upon other sources not included and you generally would go:
sudo apt-get build-dep <project>
to pull down the needed files.

You mentioned gimp:
http://www.gimp.org/source/
and there I found:
Best way to keep up with GIMP from git

And if you google: maverick gimp ppa
you'll find packages that are newer than gimp today ~2.6.10
For instance removed/welcome/ are 2.6.11

Inkit
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Inkit » Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:13 pm

Hi gms,
Have you tried just double clicking on the tar.gz file, or right clicking and "open with autorun". sometimes all it takes is this for it to install. I don't know if this will work for you, but I don't see why not. I've not installed what you want, but I've downloaded many games and installed them all this way. Give it a shot, may work.

vrkalak
Level 12
Level 12

Post by vrkalak » Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:47 pm

LinuxMint Community Forum Tutorial for installing tar.bz2 files > http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/162
:: Debian-Sid (Xfce/Fluxbox) :: LinuxMint-18 (LTS) LXDE w/Openbox ::
Registered Linux User: #497031 :: My DeviantART Page

Return to “Newbie Questions”