Change Firefox Icon LinuxMint 10

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
tecn0tarded
Level 1
Level 1

Change Firefox Icon LinuxMint 10

Post by tecn0tarded » Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:56 pm

Everything runs great and looks awesome in LInuxMint10's default settings. Except for one thing, The Firefox icon is an eye. Why?
How can I change this to the Firefox4.0 icon to it's default look?

acsey
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Change Firefox Icon LinuxMint 10

Post by acsey » Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:54 pm

Do you mean the icon in the menu? Click menu -right click the firefox "favorite" - select "edit properties" - click the icon - choose firefox.png in /usr/share/pixmaps

tecn0tarded
Level 1
Level 1

Post by tecn0tarded » Sun Apr 24, 2011 3:52 pm

The .png is the exact same icon. I download the "elementary" theme which did two things, changed the icon to the real firefox default and took all that green away.

klompen
Level 1
Level 1

Post by klompen » Sat Sep 03, 2011 1:37 am

In Linux Mint 11 I was unable to get acsey's technique to change the icon. I could find the image I wanted, but it would never change the icon when I selected it. The answer turned out to be that the /usr/share/pixmaps is not writeable. Once I copied the file to Home, changing the icon worked as described.

Is there some way to make this work for the file in /usr/share/pixmaps?

ncy
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ncy » Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:28 pm

the firefox.png in /usr/share/pixmaps is just a link (you can see it by doing a "ls -la"). switch the icon to the real file /usr/lib/firefox-6.0.2-icons/mozicon128.png and you're good to go!

ShadowMage
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ShadowMage » Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:43 pm

Hi,

I'm using Linux Mint 11 LXDE, which doesn't allow to "edit properties" of a menu item. However, the following solution worked for me, so hopefully others will find it useful as well.

1. As root, open the text file /usr/share/applications/firefox.desktop

2. Find the line that says "Icon=firefox" and change it to

Code: Select all

Icon=/usr/share/pixmaps/firefox.png
3. Save and close the firefox.desktop file

OrthoSteven
Level 1
Level 1

Post by OrthoSteven » Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:31 pm

This is great, just changed the Firefox icon in Linux Mint 13 Maya using this information; thanks!
Maya Cinnamon 64-bit

rikaf
Level 1
Level 1

Post by rikaf » Sun Nov 25, 2012 5:09 pm

I'm using Mint 12 LXDE, and ShadowMage's solution only changed the Firefox icon in the menu. When I ran Firefox I would still see the eye icon in the taskbar and at the upper left corner in the browser window.

I did manage to get the icon changed, though. There were several files for the eye icon on my install, each one of a different size. I ended up replacing each file with a same-sized version of /usr/share/pixmaps/firefox.png, and it worked. I no longer see the eye icon anywhere when I run Firefox. I don't know whether it was necessary to replace all of the files, but I did so just to cover all the bases.

Here's where the eye icons were on my install, along with the image dimensions:

/usr/share/icons/Mint-X/apps/48/firefox.png (48x48)
/usr/share/icons/Mint-X/apps/24/firefox.png (24x24)
/usr/share/icons/Mint-X/apps/22/firefox.png (22x22)
/usr/share/icons/Mint-X/apps/16/firefox.png (16x16)
/usr/share/icons/Mint-X/apps/32/firefox.png (32x32)

Return to “Newbie Questions”