Wireless drivers without internet connection

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
robfinley

Wireless drivers without internet connection

Post by robfinley »

I have an Acer laptop with windows 7 and a freshly installed Mint 8. I don't have internet and can only connect wirelessly to a public network.

I've installed Mint 8 several times before. It works great and I love it. In the past I've had internet I could physically plug into. When Mint starts up, It shows available restricted drivers.

How do I use windows to get the files I need?

What do I need and where do I get it?
How once I have it, how do I bring it into Linux?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
alberto_chaos

Re: Wireless drivers without internet connection

Post by alberto_chaos »

Tell us what's your wireless card model, the output of the lspci and the lsmod command, also the name of the restricted driver mint is offering you.
robfinley

Post by robfinley »

Thank you for the prompt reply.

I ran lsmod an didn't recognize any of the information it gave me. What is it?
lspci told me it's a Broadcom BCM4312

It is offering me the Broadcom B43 Wireless driver (also referred to as fwcutter)
and the Broadcom STA wireless driver.
robfinley

Post by robfinley »

I just downloaded hybrid-portsrc_x86_32-v5_100_82_38.tar -the STA driver, from Broadcom's website

I am not exactly sure what to do with it or weather it's what I need. I'm currently looking at the readme that came with it. I am not THAT experienced with linux and it seems intimidating.

Ok, I also just grabbed b43-fwcutter_012.orig.tar -from launchpad. I'm just reading and guessing on this one.

Both tarballs are sitting in my home folder /home/robert/

I need someone to take me step-by-step through what I need to do with them.

Return to “Beginner Questions”