Broken packages

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
gms9810
Level 1
Level 1

Broken packages

Post by gms9810 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:23 am

Hi all,
I'm having a problem and in the past I've been able to fix it but something has apparently changed. I just tried to do an update but the update manager tells me that I have to fix the broken packages first. In the past when I got this message I went to synaptic, did a custom search for broken packages and removed/fixed them all. This time no broken packages are listed so I think what i need to ask is how do I find what packages need to be repaired/removed because I can't update until this is sorted out?

aeternal
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Broken packages

Post by aeternal » Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:02 am

I solved this problem by upgrading packages manually:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update && apt-get upgrade && apt-get dist-upgrade
It may require sometime. After it downloaded everything and it starts to install keep and eye at the shell. It will require you to say if change some files or not. I pressed y all the time and got no problems.

lmintnewb
Level 7
Level 7

Post by lmintnewb » Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:09 am

Another option, really just mention it cause it's well ... an option. When you boot into safe mode for your kernel one of the menu items given on the list is. Try to repair broken packages.

Would do a bit of research as to how wide spread changes effected via this method may extend. Good luck regardless ...

nunol
Level 9
Level 9

Post by nunol » Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:05 pm

Try:

Code: Select all

dpkg --configure -a

Return to “Newbie Questions”