Having video playback issues, wat do?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Lyndis

Having video playback issues, wat do?

Post by Lyndis »

Regardless of the medium (online streaming, VLC, whatever), pretty much any video >360p will chop up to the point that it's unwatchable. Granted, my computer has never played high-def well to begin with, but I've never had problems up to 720p as long as nothing particularly intensive is also running. Is Mint just more of a resource hog than XP?

I've never used Linux before so I really know nothing about anything, but I figured I would give it a shot and install the proprietary ATI driver off of AMD's website. This helped, sort of, but also brought on a whole different slew of graphical anomalies (wrong splash screen on boot, absence of any OS animation, drivers not even recognised; Catalyst Control Centre does not work) and I don't know how to undo it short of reinstalling the root directory. What do, guys?

For reference, my GPU is a Radeon 92xx series card. I'm running a stock Dell Dimension 3000 machine.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
daemox

Re: Having video playback issues, wat do?

Post by daemox »

Lyndis wrote:Is Mint just more of a resource hog than XP?
Nope, most likely it's going to come down to driver/hardware support.

ATI's GNU/Linux drivers are less mature than Nvidia's. Their hardware decoding is also less well supported in general. Nvidia's hardware decoding (VDPAU) is supported in most media players at this point and Linux Mint has supported it since version 8 (if not before).

If you're looking to play HD content reliably, a GPU upgrade/swap to an Nvidia card might be the most hassle free approach for you. I was in this same position a few years back, and haven't regretted spending the money or making the switch for one moment since then (and have just recently upgraded again)!

For HD playback, you don't need a fast card just ideally a new(er) edition (chipset) one. Depending on if your motherboard supports AGP or PCI-E you'll have different options (it'll be slim pickings if you're still on AGP). This may not be the route, you were looking to go when posting this. But with hindsight, and a fair amount of experience in this realm, this is the direction I'd recommend for the least hassle over the long term.

Cheers!
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Having video playback issues, wat do?

Post by remoulder »

Lyndis wrote:proprietary ATI driver...92xx series
There is no proprietary ATI driver available for your card in newer versions of mint and attempting to install one will fail but leave problems behind. Run synaptic and look for fglrx, fglrx-cccle and fglrx-kernel-source. If any of these are installed, right mouse and select for complete removal, then click Apply. Also delete any /etc/X11/xorg.conf file you have - you need to do this as root.
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.

Return to “Beginner Questions”