Help with installing packages

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
SuperPengiun

Help with installing packages

Post by SuperPengiun »

Hi guys. I'm not a complete newb at Linux. I've had classes (didn't pay much attention) and the last time I personally used it was back in 06. With that said, I finally gonna stick to it and need help. I need help installing packages. I have dial-up, so the niffy software manager doesn't help me. I've gone around and found some package themselves and DLed them. I have no clue how to install them and haven't found anything online yet about installing off USB or the desktop in Mint 10. I kinda see why I quit before and I'm thinking this was it. I know this would be a breeze with highspeed, but I can't get it now. This OS is almost useless to me because I can't do anything with it now.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
zooks

Re: Help with installing packages

Post by zooks »

If you download .deb packages you can install them with dpkg:

sudo dpkg -i package.deb

in the terminal. So navigate to the location where you downloaded or stored the package and use that command.
Hope this helps
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Post by remoulder »

SuperPengiun wrote: I've gone around and found some package themselves and DLed them
Unless you download packages from the repos for the release you are using, you may find you have all kinds of dependency issues trying to do this. In general you should d/l the debs for the apps you want only from the repos, checking what other packages are required to meet dependencies. You can use synaptic package manager to mark apps to install and then generate a download script that lists the packages needed. Once you have downloaded those packages, you can add them using synaptic.
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
SuperPengiun

Post by SuperPengiun »

thank you guys a bunch. I've heard about the synaptic manager, but I wasn't sure what it did. I like it here. I'll be sure to learn as much as I can.
lmintnewb

Post by lmintnewb »

Here's something kinda related to whatcha wanna know. Could prove helpful for ya at some point.

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=47129
SuperPengiun

Post by SuperPengiun »

thanks, that's good info. I'm actually excited again :mrgreen:
SuperPengiun

Post by SuperPengiun »

Alright, so I'm looking for Wine right now and found the deb packages like you guys said (didn't know that before). How does one know which file to pick? This is the link: http://dev.carbon-project.org/debian/wine-unstable/

Return to “Beginner Questions”