Question about update warning

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
seba
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 42
Joined: Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:23 am

Question about update warning

Postby seba » Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:36 am

After the install of mint daryna, my first steps as a linux user, I now am updating through the mint update program.
But now I have gotten a warning "you are about to install software that can't be authenticated".
if I look at the 'not authenticated' dropdown list I see these:
mintassistent
mintdesktop
mintinstall
mintmenu
mintupdate

Below "Summary" it says
2 packages will be held back and not upgraded
47 packages will be upgraded.

So it seems Mint update warns me about 5 Mint updates of which 2 will not be installed????
I feel lost after 5 steps on the linux path and have no idea what to install or not (does level 1/2/3 mean it is allready authenticated?)
Level 1 is most stable/secure, I have read and searched about it but is the warning to be taken cautiously or not?
Could anyone explain this please, I have no clue whether to continue updating.... :(
Maya Mate x32 on a PentiumM 1,7 GHz.

Husse
Level 23
Level 23
Posts: 19593
Joined: Sun Feb 11, 2007 7:22 am
Location: Near Borås Sweden

Re: Question about update warning

Postby Husse » Fri Nov 30, 2007 10:42 am

We obviously have to be more newbie friendly and explain more...
Can't be authenticated - most repositories have a pgp key or some such. The Mint repos do not - that's why that warning appears. Maybe we should skip that for our own repos if that's possible
Two held back is because they are for the kernel and it's version is locked - they would be a category 5.
What the levels mean can be seen if you click preferences. Only level 1,2 and 3 do appear in mintUpdate by default and please don't change that
So install the updates - there is a bit to download but not overly much
Image
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it

seba
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 42
Joined: Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:23 am

Re: Question about update warning

Postby seba » Fri Nov 30, 2007 11:11 am

Husse wrote:We obviously have to be more newbie friendly and explain more...
Can't be authenticated - most repositories have a pgp key or some such. The Mint repos do not - that's why that warning appears. Maybe we should skip that for our own repos if that's possible
Two held back is because they are for the kernel and it's version is locked - they would be a category 5.
What the levels mean can be seen if you click preferences. Only level 1,2 and 3 do appear in mintUpdate by default and please don't change that
So install the updates - there is a bit to download but not overly much


Thanks for the explanation. Much appreciated!
I was pleasantly surprised having installed Daryna, it seems to work, whatever I want to do, Internet, mp3, video. incredible.
Thinking it would be a rougher start, maybe I'm allready spoiled :wink:
I will try to get out of the newbie questions section as fast as possible.
thanks again for the fast reply.

seba
Maya Mate x32 on a PentiumM 1,7 GHz.

andyvr4
Level 2
Level 2
Posts: 51
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2007 11:00 pm

Re: Question about update warning

Postby andyvr4 » Sat Dec 01, 2007 2:46 am

seba wrote:I was pleasantly surprised having installed Daryna, it seems to work, whatever I want to do, Internet, mp3, video. incredible.

That's one of the things that makes mint so wonderful. With it things do just work.

I'm glad that you're enjoying it.

User avatar
Acid_1
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 797
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:12 pm
Location: Saskatchewan, Canada
Contact:

Re: Question about update warning

Postby Acid_1 » Sat Dec 01, 2007 4:30 am

andyvr4 wrote:
seba wrote:I was pleasantly surprised having installed Daryna, it seems to work, whatever I want to do, Internet, mp3, video. incredible.

That's one of the things that makes mint so wonderful. With it things do just work.

I'm glad that you're enjoying it.


That and it's a lot prettier than yellow and brown. lol :wink: :mrgreen: :wink:

forkmantis
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:13 am

Re: Question about update warning

Postby forkmantis » Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:40 am

Husse wrote:We obviously have to be more newbie friendly and explain more...
Can't be authenticated - most repositories have a pgp key or some such. The Mint repos do not - that's why that warning appears. Maybe we should skip that for our own repos if that's possible


This one confused me a bit too. When it's come up in ubuntu, there was a procedure I had to follow to flush and reload the keys. I spent some time googling for this again, but could not resolve the issue.

So could this problem not also be solved by actually using a key for the Mint repositories? Seems like a more secure fix than disabling the warning for the mint repositories.

Otherwise Mint has been a very pleasant experience for me so far.

Husse
Level 23
Level 23
Posts: 19593
Joined: Sun Feb 11, 2007 7:22 am
Location: Near Borås Sweden

Re: Question about update warning

Postby Husse » Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:29 pm

There's more to it than just adding a key.... (Don't remember the story, but...)
Image
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it

User avatar
Acid_1
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 797
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:12 pm
Location: Saskatchewan, Canada
Contact:

Re: Question about update warning

Postby Acid_1 » Sat Apr 26, 2008 1:05 am

try

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install program1
replacing program 1 with menu's proper name. That's how I did it. thought now I'm haveing some python problems :'(


Return to “Newbie Questions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: spammusubi and 4 guests