Question About Google Chromium

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
craig10x

Question About Google Chromium

Post by craig10x »

Hi: Not a newbie to to mint or the forums...but just wanted to ask a quick question...I was using Google Chrome (direct from google of course) and their updater was added to my software sources...I'm running Mint 10 main edition...

I decided to switch to the open source Chromium...downloaded it in software center and got current stable version (which is what i want)...
I've since removed Chrome and took it off the software source list (since i won't be using it)...

Question is: With Chromium, do you automatically get stable updates for it? Or do i need to add the ppa to the list of Software Sources in the Mint Software Manager? I would like to continue getting the latest stable versions of Chromium as they become available...

Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
ThistleWeb

Re: Question About Google Chromium

Post by ThistleWeb »

Installing Chromium from the repos will mean it gets updated along with the rest of your system. The Chrome was of adding the PPA will work the same, the difference is that Google maintain the Chrome updates, where Ubuntu / Debian / Mint maintain the Chromium updates. The result is the same, it'll update fine.
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

Thanks...i did notice that when i installed from mint software manager that i received the latest stable version (not the earlier one that was on there when i first installed my Mint 10) so i guess that must be the case...

Checking "software sources" in mint software manager, i don't see a specific ppa for chrome added in...but does it get updated from one of the other sources, such as mint, or ubuntu, or one of the other normal default repos in mint?
Tony.B

Post by Tony.B »

I've got Chromium installed as my default browser. Have had it for a very long time and I'm very happy with it. I use only MintUpdate to ensure that everything keeps running ok. And a few moments ago, the "About Chromium" section of my browser settings gave me the following version details which I've cut & pasted here: 11.0.696.65 (84435) Built on Ubuntu 10.04, running on LinuxMint 9

I think I'm running the latest available stable version.
I hope this helps to put your mind to rest.
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

yes tony that version you have is the latest stable version on your Mint 9...so that would mean as you said, you have been getting all the updated versions of Chromium automatically on the mint updater...

thanks...that does put my "mind to rest" :wink: :lol:

Return to “Beginner Questions”