Grub problem with LM 10 system on USB pen drive.

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
globetrotterdk

Grub problem with LM 10 system on USB pen drive.

Post by globetrotterdk »

I have a LM 10 system installed on a USB pen drive. Unfortunately, I have run into an irritating problem that wouldn't be an issue on a normally installed system - whenever Grub is updated for any reason, it includes any other systems that are installed on the computer being used. This can happen for example when the kernel version is updated. This is normal system behavior for Grub, but as I plan to use this drive to boot from various computers (for example when out travelling and I don't want to lug my laptop with me), I need a way to only allow changes that occur on the system to be included in a Grub update. Any ideas?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
meskarune

Re: Grub problem with LM 10 system on USB pen drive.

Post by meskarune »

I would NOT suggest just installing linux onto a usb drive and using it. It will only work on the computer hardware you installed from. Its better if you install as a live cd and have a parition for files on the drive. Please see: http://www.pendrivelinux.com/
wayne128

Post by wayne128 »

globetrotterdk wrote:I have a LM 10 system installed on a USB pen drive. Unfortunately, I have run into an irritating problem that wouldn't be an issue on a normally installed system - whenever Grub is updated for any reason, it includes any other systems that are installed on the computer being used. This can happen for example when the kernel version is updated. This is normal system behavior for Grub, but as I plan to use this drive to boot from various computers (for example when out travelling and I don't want to lug my laptop with me), I need a way to only allow changes that occur on the system to be included in a Grub update. Any ideas?
You can consider other bootloader that is not affected by grub2 update, such as grub legacy.
globetrotterdk

Post by globetrotterdk »

meskarune wrote:I would NOT suggest just installing linux onto a usb drive and using it. It will only work on the computer hardware you installed from. Its better if you install as a live cd and have a parition for files on the drive. Please see: http://www.pendrivelinux.com/
Yeah, I have wondered about that as well. I have tested my USB pen drive install on three different computers and so far it has worked OK. I asked that question in another thread, here:
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=72469
I thought that the purpose of installing a live CD/DVD onto a pen drive was mainly for recovery purposes or to install a system on a computer without a CD/DVD drive.
globetrotterdk

Post by globetrotterdk »

wayne128 wrote:You can consider other bootloader that is not affected by grub2 update, such as grub legacy.
It is a good thing that both grub-update and grub2-update actually work as advertised. I just want to suppress the adding of whatever systems reside on a computer, to Grub or Grub2, when the USB pen drive system is updated.
meskarune

Post by meskarune »

When you install Linux, it loads drivers for the specific hardware of your computer. Its not a good idea to load up a linux install on other hard ware configurations, it can cause problems.

Live linux distributions are NOT only for recovery or installation. You can use them for security on public wifi networks, use a live cd for a nas server, etc. There are hundreds of live linux environments with different purposes in mind.
globetrotterdk

Post by globetrotterdk »

meskarune wrote:When you install Linux, it loads drivers for the specific hardware of your computer. Its not a good idea to load up a linux install on other hard ware configurations, it can cause problems.

Live linux distributions are NOT only for recovery or installation. You can use them for security on public wifi networks, use a live cd for a nas server, etc. There are hundreds of live linux environments with different purposes in mind.
Cheers. There are some disadvantages when using "live" USB pen drive installations as well aren't there? I can at least think of two:
1) Can't install apps, drivers, etc. to a "live" pen drive.
2) Persistent settings. I assume because LM is based on Ubuntu it is possible to enable persistence, but persistent files are unencrypted, whereas my pen drive has an encrypted home folder.

Return to “Beginner Questions”