update for codecs on Kayta

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
wpshooter
Level 5
Level 5

update for codecs on Kayta

Post by wpshooter » Sun May 22, 2011 8:11 am

If I download and install the Kayta version of Linux Mint, do I get the option to later installing the codecs / DVD version information like I did on the prior versions of Mint ?

Thanks.

dawgdoc
Level 9
Level 9

Re: update for codecs on Kayta

Post by dawgdoc » Sun May 22, 2011 8:34 am

Yes, from the release notes: http://www.linuxmint.com/rel_katya_what ... intwelcome
Multimedia codecs and extra applications

Linux Mint 11 comes as a liveDVD. A liveCD is also available for people without a DVD burner or distributors established in the USA and Japan. The liveCD comes with less applications, no multimedia codecs and no restricted software, making it fit within 700MB and safely distributable in countries where the legislation allows patents to apply to software.

From the liveCD, the installation of codecs and extra applications is now easier than ever.

You'll notice two links in the Welcome Screen:

* Upgrade to the DVD Edition
* Install Multimedia Codecs

There are also links in the Menu:

* Menu->Sound and Video->Install Multimedia Codecs
* Menu->Administration->Upgrade to the DVD Edition

SYSTEM: Compaq Presario CQ62 -- Mint 17 Cinnamon
READING: Little Brother by Cory Doctorow

Return to “Newbie Questions”