Smallest installed mint

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
trbone

Smallest installed mint

Post by trbone »

Hi guys. I am looking to install Mint on my netbook. However I only have 4Gb of hard drive space and I was wondering which version of Mint takes up the least space when it is installed and updated? And how much space this would be?

Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Smallest installed mint

Post by AlbertP »

If you use a CD version instead of a DVD, you get less preinstalled software and all is OK. I recommend Mint 10 LXDE, it's the most lightweight one.

Note that you need manual partitioning to install Mint on 4GB space, and that you don't have space for a swap partition (A swap is used when you have lack of memory, or when you want to hibernate).

The manual partitioning is not very difficult, just click the 'unallocated' 4GB disk space, then click Edit, and choose: type ext4, mountpoint /
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
bennachie
Level 2
Level 2

Post by bennachie »

If what you have is an eeePC-701, buy a 4GB or 8GB SDHC card, shove that in the slot, and use it for a separate "/home" partition. That way you can run any flavour of Mint you like. I have Mint11 RC main edition running perfectly in just that environment.
Reorx
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Reorx »

I am running Mint 9 Main edition (Gnome) and it takes up 3.9 GB on my HD. Did a standard install and have updated regularly.

I find it hard to believe that you have a netbook with a 4GB HD in it... If you HD is larger, you can shrink the existing partition(s) to get more space - use Gparted on the live medium... other possible choices could be to get a larger HD for your netbook (Hitachi Travelstar 320 GB, 7200 rpm, 16 MB buffer, SATA - $50 >>> http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications ... CatId=2682 - just 1 example) or if you don't have "the need for speed" - you could install Mint on a USB flash drive... you might have to make an adjustment in your OS search/boot order settings in your BIOS but you can run "Mint on a stick"... :D

Full time Linux Mint user since 2011 - Currently running LM21C on multiple Dell laptops - mostly Vostro models.

Image Image Image
nunol
Level 9
Level 9

Post by nunol »

Early netbooks like the Eee 701 only had 4GB HDD (SDD), you can not install a normal 2.5" HDD.

If you upgrade often remember to:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get clean
so you can get back a few MB.
trbone

Post by trbone »

Thanks for the info guys. I'm actually using an EeePC901, so I have a second ssd hd of 8Gb. I am using this as my home directory. I've run a few different distros before, so I know most of the space saving tips!

I took AlbertPs advice and am now running Mint 10 LXDE from the CD.

I was running Lubuntu before... which was fine, but Mint seems to do the same thing in slightly less space, and it looks much better!
nunol
Level 9
Level 9

Post by nunol »

A friend of mine asked me to install linux on his Eee 901, I installed Mint 9 LTS in dual boot with Win XP and latter triple boot with Mint 10, Win XP and Crunchbang but he used a 8GB SD to have more space. Now that computer only has Mint 10.
The-Wizard

Post by The-Wizard »

My old acer aspire one only has a small ssd but runs Mint 10 32 bit LXDE fine

Return to “Beginner Questions”